Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 11:26 AM

6,617 posts, read 16,606,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg1701d View Post
Where are we finding these "large amounts of passive agressive"?
and also, why are they being so passive agressive? just for the fun of it?many natives who don't understand the concept of irony? I'm thinking you've got some arrogance about where you're coming from. Minnesotans are very tolerant but they really don't like arrogance and they take (not unjustified)pride in Minnesota. And thinking that Minnesotans are naive and ignorant won't help you find any Minnesota nice.
kg1701d--

I've been away for several days, but want to respond to your post accusing me of arrogance. I was just making some observations, positive and negative about MN'ns. (Several of them have since been echoed by subsequent posters) As I stated, I like living here and love MN'ns despite their faults. I've lived in several states and cities and and could give you the positives and negatives of all of those places too. Do you have a problem with objectivity? Am I correct in assuming you are originally from MN, despite your Chgo post-header?

Old 12-26-2007, 12:44 PM

81 posts, read 296,069 times
Wasn't born there but spent a fair amount of time there growing up.
It just seems mildy passive aggressive in itself to say that you like living in MN and Minnesotans despite their faults which apparently is an inability to understand irony (a sweeping generalization if I've ever heard one)

Old 12-26-2007, 01:28 PM

20 posts, read 65,707 times
"Minnesota nice" was a term created by outsiders who didn't recognize stoicism and silent coping skills. They thought the people of Minnesota were being nice. They didn't know that silence and endurance were the price tag for survival. We came back to Minnesota in 1991 after 29 years in California. My husband grew up here. I grew up in rural Montana. I can assure you from personal experience: there is no such thing as Minnesota nice. Silence and endurance is still the price tag for survival.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg1701d View Post
Wasn't born there but spent a fair amount of time there growing up.
It just seems mildy passive aggressive in itself to say that you like living in MN and Minnesotans despite their faults which apparently is an inability to understand irony (a sweeping generalization if I've ever heard one)
I don't get where you are going with this. My affection of MN'ns despite the fact that many of them don't grasp irony should tell you that the ability to grasp irony is not a dealbreker for me in deciding who I like. Do you only like perfect people? Sheesh!

Old 12-27-2007, 12:32 PM

Yikes! Just went back to look at my reputation for my post on this thread. Someone gave me a red mark and the comment "Learn to keep your mouth shut!" The red mark I can handle. Posters aren't supposed to assign these just because they disagree with the post, but I'm sure they do, and it is difficult to police.

But the comment! That has NO place in a forum like this!

Whoever made this comment should be banned from city-data.com. I intend to report this to the moderators as a violation of the T&C.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:31 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,111,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I've found that even when you think you've finally been "accepted"-you're not. People are helpful but their space is their space.
"Acceptance" doesn't always mean "you have the right to trod all over my personal/private space", and I find it very strange that people seem to equate the two.

The two concepts are different here in Atlanta as well. Most of the folks I've met here seem just as private as the folks I knew while growing up and living in the Twin Cities.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:11 AM

433 posts, read 2,357,929 times
There really are very few places in America (except maybe Alaska) where people will welcome you with open arms into their world. We don't share a great deal in common with each other anymore. We watch 500 cable channels instead of 3 networks. We lack shared experiences. We hardly get involved in our neighborhoods or towns anymore. We still wave at our neighbors. We don't hang out with them though. We don't have the legions of neighborhood moms at home being involved as the center of family social activities anymore. We don't have as many kids to form the same connections. We don't have many parties and social drinking is taboo. We don't have as much fun with the simple things in life. We don't have as much fun period. We all work. We drive home. And we cocoon in our own little world. You can call it Minnesota Nice or whatever nice. Our society is really no longer connected in a physical sense. This forum is our 1960's cocktail party. We type words to each other with cute little smile faces instead.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:08 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,212,494 times
Kingsnkali----------very true

Old 12-28-2007, 11:18 AM

721 posts, read 2,612,752 times
Like I said before, Minnesota Nice is the person at the mall who waits for you to leave your parking space and helps you by getting out of his truck, and makes sure you avoid hitting a nearby parked vehicle. He was just being "nice" and didn't ecpect anything out of it-except your parking spot.

Minnesota nice is also inviting you to "come over anytime" but not really meaning it or telling another person you are mad at them by ignoring them, talking behind their back, and expecting the person you are mad at to be able to read your mind-because you never actuially told the person why you are mad at them-you just expect them to know.

This happens all the time at work, church and the gym. Yes and whoever posted the phrase about "dance cards being full" and trying to break into cliques is right on. The full dance card is made up mostly of family or old high school friends.

I love Minnesota-but Minnesota Nice is a bit of passive agressive behavior or just being friendly and helping someone out.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:13 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,111,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snallygaster View Post
One thing I love about Christmas is the snow...Minnesota seems an ideal place to wake up on Christmas morning and see snow on the ground..
My wife's parents place in Esko had plenty of snow this Christmas. w00t!

http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner/snowesko.jpg (broken link)

So did the drive along I-35.

http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner/snow35.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota