Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:35 PM

10 posts, read 46,331 times

Advertisements

Didn't read all the replys because I don't have a lot of time. I was just looking for something. If I repeat, sorry.

I've lived in Minnesota my whole life and I was in my 40's before I even heard the term. It's a sarcastic term used much the same as the sarcastic use of "Southern hospitality".

It's supposed to imply people really aren't nice. You will get all kinds of people there, especially if you live in the Minneapolis-St Paul area, so you will get all kinds of personalities. You can't blame the whole state for someone's rudeness, especially if it's an international Metro area.

I'm from Duluth. Most people say it's more like a small town feel without the nosiness there. So I guess you can take it or leave it, but most folks will give you what you expect from them no matter where you are.

Go to New York sometime and expect the "New York attitude" you'll get it. I went there expecting folks to be friendly and helpful. They were.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:34 PM

17 posts, read 64,550 times
Lived in Minnesota for 17 years, "Minnesota-Me" is the impression I left with, very materialistic. My kids still live there and I left with lots of good friends, but now that I'm back in Maryland I've found there to be lots of "real" nice people.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:44 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaBC View Post
Didn't read all the replys because I don't have a lot of time. I was just looking for something. If I repeat, sorry.

I've lived in Minnesota my whole life and I was in my 40's before I even heard the term. It's a sarcastic term used much the same as the sarcastic use of "Southern hospitality".

It's supposed to imply people really aren't nice. You will get all kinds of people there, especially if you live in the Minneapolis-St Paul area, so you will get all kinds of personalities. You can't blame the whole state for someone's rudeness, especially if it's an international Metro area.

I'm from Duluth. Most people say it's more like a small town feel without the nosiness there. So I guess you can take it or leave it, but most folks will give you what you expect from them no matter where you are.

Go to New York sometime and expect the "New York attitude" you'll get it. I went there expecting folks to be friendly and helpful. They were.
If that is what MN nice is, then I guess the South has alot of that "nice". There is alot of that in Georgia, especially among some of the women. You will get the smiles and the "polite" attitudes, but when the chips are down and the door is closed, there is plenty of backstabbing that goes on. Not to say that there aren't nice people in the South because there are . The fact is though that the same fakeness exists everywhere else in many cases, so anyone who is discouraged about moving to MN because of the "not being able to make friends", stop worrying. Perhaps part of the reason alot of people in this world are clannish is because alot of people tend to not leave the state they were born in.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:46 AM

74 posts, read 289,396 times
Hmmm, I don't know I will make many friends moving to MN. I would prefer to have someone tell me like it is, instead of not saying anything in hopes to avoid conflict. I will probably be viewed as abrassive and confrontational. Actually, my husband (who grew up in Minnesota) has on occasion labeled me confrontational for speaking what is on my mind. Makes a lot of sense now.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:01 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,108,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinne View Post
Hmmm, I don't know I will make many friends moving to MN. I would prefer to have someone tell me like it is, instead of not saying anything in hopes to avoid conflict. I will probably be viewed as abrassive and confrontational. Actually, my husband (who grew up in Minnesota) has on occasion labeled me confrontational for speaking what is on my mind. Makes a lot of sense now.
It depends on the specific people you run into. I knew more in-your-face people in the Twin Cities than I know down here in Atlanta, for example. That's why I hate seeing sweeping generalizations about "what people in MN are like"...

Old 01-17-2008, 12:37 PM

74 posts, read 289,396 times
That is a good point, and I'm sure it depends on the area too. I would imagine in newer areas you would find people who would want to connect and meet others for social networking.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:24 PM

6 posts, read 30,967 times
Is the air in Minn always dry? Not humid? We may be relocating to Lakeville in a few months and I have asthma, so worried about the weather/pollen.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:03 PM

12 posts, read 33,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
It means if you are in need of help, somebody will probably help you. If your car needs a jump start, somebody will happily do it. If you drive off the road into the ditch, somebody will probably help pull your car out. If your car dies in the middle of the road, people will stop and help you push it. If you need directions, most people will gladly give them to you. Your neighbors might clear your driveway with their snowblower if there was a big snow storm and they see you out shoveling by hand. People will usually be friendly and polite to you, even if they do not know you.

It does not mean these same people will instantly become your best friend and invite you in to their house for coffee and cookies after jump starting your car, as some non-natives seemed to expect in previous threads on this subject.
I AM HAVING THE SAME EXPERIENCE WITH MINNESOTANS.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:26 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,988,658 times
Very humid in summer. Minnesotans as a whole are NOT materialistic. In fact, quite frugal.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:38 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,239,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imzadi143 View Post
Is the air in Minn always dry? Not humid? We may be relocating to Lakeville in a few months and I have asthma, so worried about the weather/pollen.
Summers are humid. This should be a seperate thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota