Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 PM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
155 posts, read 417,290 times

Advertisements

Hello to all of the wonderful Minnesotans out there, how are you all today? I was just thinking to myself about how I have far too much time on my hands lol and about Minnesota. I am a bit obsessed to be honest but I am curious as to what others love about Minnesota? What are your favourite things in and/or about Minnesota? Maybe places you love to go or things that are fun to do? I want to ride a snowmobile someday (preferably in Winter) and I also want to hike to the top of Eagle Mountain! I apologise for the long post, I didn't mean to go on for so long. So, basically, I'd love to hear what you love about Minnesota and also any suggestions that you may have for places to go and things to see in MN! I want to explore the state someday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,967 times
Right now, I'm loving our state government (but no topic drift please). We have great winter sports. We have great food and drink options. We have had a great education history which I hope we'll value enough to get back to. Our entrepreneurs are among the most amazing in the country. Our art scene is probably the best west of New York. (Yeh, I can hear some other western cities cackling, but personal opinion here). I think of us as energetic and brainy. There are very few other states I could think of trading Minnesota for. Despite some hardships, it is a privilege to live here (and I don't understand the people who think otherwise)

Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,023 times
All the people I've met over the past six years. They are what makes Minnesota so great. All the rest is just bonus..

Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 AM

127 posts, read 337,389 times
Beenhere's right. The art scene is really cool here but since you mention snowmobiling you'll be happy to know the as long as we have snow, you'll have plenty of options for trails. This goes for my area in central MN as well as in northern parts of the state. We love our trails here. Just please don't go tearing through peoples yards liquored up at 3am. They get a little testy and it can give others a bad rap. Next what I like in the state are the many small town celebrations that happen in the summer. Getting out of the city and off the beaten path will give you a great sense of the people that make up the state. Check out exploreminnesota.com for all the dates. If someone offers you lutefisk.... don't do it, pleeease don't do it LOL. Hunting and fishing are great. Obviously w/ so many lakes to choose from, you'll have no problem finding somewhere to wet a line, even in the metro area. The people can be taken as standoffish but in all reality, most would give you the shirt off their back if you were in need, we just don't go all Dr. Phil about what we're thinking or feel the need to tell you what we had for dinner last night or did last weekend unless asked about it. The changing of the seasons I really enjoy here as well. I guess I can't say theres much I don't like about living here.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:08 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotz90s View Post
Beenhere's right. The art scene is really cool here but since you mention snowmobiling you'll be happy to know the as long as we have snow, you'll have plenty of options for trails. This goes for my area in central MN as well as in northern parts of the state. We love our trails here. Just please don't go tearing through peoples yards liquored up at 3am. They get a little testy and it can give others a bad rap. Next what I like in the state are the many small town celebrations that happen in the summer. Getting out of the city and off the beaten path will give you a great sense of the people that make up the state. Check out exploreminnesota.com for all the dates. If someone offers you lutefisk.... don't do it, pleeease don't do it LOL. Hunting and fishing are great. Obviously w/ so many lakes to choose from, you'll have no problem finding somewhere to wet a line, even in the metro area. The people can be taken as standoffish but in all reality, most would give you the shirt off their back if you were in need, we just don't go all Dr. Phil about what we're thinking or feel the need to tell you what we had for dinner last night or did last weekend unless asked about it. The changing of the seasons I really enjoy here as well. I guess I can't say theres much I don't like about living here.
This is such a great description of MN. I've highlighted my favorite parts.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 AM

993 posts, read 1,767,118 times
I like the Twin Cities! But probably the thing I like most is the people. (Almsot) Everyone here is so nice! For example, I was at Target yesterday getting a few snacks and I had to walk in front of where some people were standing looking at items. So, I said, "Excuse me (nicely)" and they apologized to me even though I clearly was the one who had blocked their view momentarily!

I like the healthy, fit, and educated vibe I get here. I would like to explore up north sometime too!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:21 AM

My older brother taught me the pleasures of carp fishing in the St. Croix. Lazy fishing with plenty of time to suck suds.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:57 AM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
155 posts, read 417,290 times
Is there another name for snowmobiles/snowmobiling? My dad said that they're not called snowmobiles anymore but I was unaware of this. I've always known of them as snowmobiles but that doesn't really mean much lol. He had been watching Alaska State Troopers and/or Alaska Patrol or what ever the name of the shows he saw which are filmed in Alaska so I wondered if maybe they call snowmobiles something else in Alaska or he said that there may be some which can also be used without snow being on the ground so these could even be two different things unless I just weren't aware of any of this which could very well be!

Old 02-16-2013, 12:01 PM

Around here they've always been called snowmobiles. Never heard anything different.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:59 PM

459 posts, read 2,227,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikälskaren View Post
Is there another name for snowmobiles/snowmobiling? My dad said that they're not called snowmobiles anymore but I was unaware of this. I've always known of them as snowmobiles but that doesn't really mean much lol. He had been watching Alaska State Troopers and/or Alaska Patrol or what ever the name of the shows he saw which are filmed in Alaska so I wondered if maybe they call snowmobiles something else in Alaska or he said that there may be some which can also be used without snow being on the ground so these could even be two different things unless I just weren't aware of any of this which could very well be!
The cool kids call them 'sleds'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota