Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 PM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
155 posts, read 417,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendog View Post
Best things about Minnesota?
Well I like the following:

The entire North Shore and the Greatest Lake on Earth, Superior! The Inland Sea! A "lake" the size of Kentucky! 10% of the World's fresh water is right there, if you tipped it out, the water would cover all of North America and South America in 2 feet of water! A "lake" that is 50 times bigger than Seattle's Puget Sound! What an amazing rolling gargantuan slosh that huge roiling sea is! Go to Duluth! Go to Superior and the North Coast!
I love it! Best sailing outside of Florida in my opinion.

I also absolutely love Nordic skiing through haunting white birchwood forests and rolling hills. I grew up skate and XC skiing and missed it dearly when I was out west. I could go out west but it was a hassle and expensive. It is very very fun and without it I couldn't live in Minnesota. Even though Minneapolis is the best cycling city in the country, and we ride year round, I still prefer to be alone in the woods skiing, man oh man.

As a cyclist I love the cycling scene in Minneapolis. Best bike city in the USA, bar none.

I also love the hipsters, indy bars and boutiques in Minneapolis and I really really appreciate the thriving small business and arts and theater scenes there. I missed all of that in Seattle, which has none of that anymore as it has gotten more and more corporate sadly.

Overall I truly love and appreciate the accessibility and affordability of everything in Minnesota. Coming from the Seattle, I really appreciate being able to buy and own an affordable house, in the city. It is a very empowering feeling and I don't miss my tiny little stinky apartment and $1200 a month in rent at all. I also appreciate the accessibility of everything in Minnesota. Sailing, skiing, cycling, home ownership, low unemployment and good business climate it's all right there and relatively speaking a lot more accessible and affordable than the East or West Coast.
Sounds like you like many things that I also like! I love the scenery, accessibility and the affordability! I like how you can spend less in Minnesota than other places and yet, you get so much more! Higher quality of life and lower prices are a great combo! I'm so glad that my favourite place is only 730-950 miles away from my house rather than half way round the world like some people's favourite places. There's nothing wrong with liking far away places, I'd probably love some of them as well. I just feel quite fortunate that my top destination is within a day's drive! I'm also so glad that I started this thread, which reminds me of another great thing that I love about Minnesota, Minnesotans! Yes I know that we've already talked about this so I won't ramble on for too long, I just have to say once again that you really are great! The responses and informative posts that I've read on here just reminded me of that again! I think that I still have a visitor's guide for the Mall of America and there is a cool aerial picture with a view of Minneapolis and St Paul as seen from the MOA area of Bloomington! I love the pictures of Downtown Mpls from Burnsville as well! I love how well the trees and buildings seem to blend together in Minneapolis! St Paul, Duluth, International Falls, Ely and Virginia were also beautiful in my opinion. I'm dying to go to Grand Marais, Grand Portage and the whole Northeastern part of Minnesota to be honest! How is the weather right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 07:26 PM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
We know that the weather isn't really that bad...we just don't spread it around that there really isn't snow in July here .
Isn't it so funny how there really are some people who think that MN gets snow in Summer? My mom told me about someone who even thought that Ohio would have snow in Summer and he was surprised that Ohio had no snow on the ground in Summer! Sometimes it's fun to play along and see how far you can run with it and how much you can get them to believe lol!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Our small towns are rich in history. Museum building in Sebeka City Park:
That looks cool! It vaguely reminds me of pictures that I've seen of the building at the Grand Portage Monument. I'd never heard of Sebeka but now it is on my list of places in MN where I would like to go!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:46 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,481,112 times
Show the jumping Asian carp, soon to come to any place you like to fish!!!

Old 02-21-2013, 02:24 PM

4,363 posts, read 6,535,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikälskaren View Post
That looks cool! It vaguely reminds me of pictures that I've seen of the building at the Grand Portage Monument. I'd never heard of Sebeka but now it is on my list of places in MN where I would like to go!
Don't sneeze or you might miss us...

Sebeka.com

Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Best thing about Minnesota is the weather scares people off. But. Wait. Boards like this convey the idea that the weather isn't that bad. How's that gonna keep people who want life easy from coming here??

I don't really think it's thaat bad. But that's all about opinon, relativity and perception. Those who think it's bad are those who are not from here and cannot fathom putting up with the "weather". I am from here. I have put up with it my whole life. My perception of weather being bad is very extreme weather -- That's all I know. For example -- I have heard first hand from many people who think 30 degree weather is unbelievable. The looks, expressions and discussions around it clearly shows how they cannot see how it's even possible to live here or want to live here.

Now I'm not saying that weather like we've had recently - 20's, teens and down to 0's - Isn't any fun. No fun at all. There's really nothing desirable about it... I just think of it being what it is --- and what we deal with. And it's not that bad. I know it seems crazy and unreasonable, but it's just winter.

I'm from the metro, and I am confident in saying that the majority of people here probably enjoy the summer and fall months. The summer is great - It's beautiful, sunny and hot. It's summer. Sure, it gets hot for a few stretches, but at least it cools down a little in the evening and unless you're outside during the day to do manual labor or intense activities, you're probably going to be fine.

The extremes here in Minnesota are what gets to Minnesotans. Days of cold, cold weather - 20 & under are less than common in the winter months... Not for Minnesotans. The winter is usually pretty tame, but 2 weeks, a month of that tough weather gets to people, as it should. Same thing goes for the summer... A week or two of that heavy, hot and humid weather will drive you nuts, mentally and physically?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,997 times
Ideal weather for me in Winter is that crispy 15-25 range for me. Cold enough to keep outdoor ice ice and snow snow. Also, it's just refreshing for the lungs, IMO.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Ideal weather for me in Winter is that crispy 15-25 range for me. Cold enough to keep outdoor ice ice and snow snow. Also, it's just refreshing for the lungs, IMO.
I agree and I like that as well. I hate when we get a nice beautiful snow and then the weather is warmer with temps in the mid to upper 30s -40s or above on the next day!

Old 02-22-2013, 05:51 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,481,112 times
I was walking from my house to the bus today. The sidewalks have ice remaining from recent thaws, with fluffy snow over it. Nearly took a spill. Starting to think the most dangerous stretch for me is between the house and the bus. Maybe I should just drive my car to the bus and then ride from there! Anyway, it occurred to me that how we can live here is that we're secretly proud we've learned to live so well in hard circumstances. Maybe (maybe) we're not eager to move somewhere that presents no daily challenge to us at all.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr not.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I was walking from my house to the bus today. The sidewalks have ice remaining from recent thaws, with fluffy snow over it. Nearly took a spill. Starting to think the most dangerous stretch for me is between the house and the bus. Maybe I should just drive my car to the bus and then ride from there! Anyway, it occurred to me that how we can live here is that we're secretly proud we've learned to live so well in hard circumstances. Maybe (maybe) we're not eager to move somewhere that presents no daily challenge to us at all.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr not.
That definitely makes sense! And I think that you should be proud, you're a strong hardy people who deal with a lot, including but not limited to weather extremes of almost all types and many of you are still some of the nicest, friendliest and most helpful people! In my opinion Minnesotans are some of America's best people and definitely reflect positively on the United States!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota