Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 07:07 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
this part of your post was the funniest...ooooooooooh....withches.....eek! me scared too! by chance were you turned into a newt?
He got better, though...

"I'm not talking about your damn cars, Jerry"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 10:18 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
this part of your post was the funniest...ooooooooooh....withches.....eek! me scared too! by chance were you turned into a newt?
Better pull the dreaded Ouija board out of all Minnesota game stores and protect the state from evil spirits...LOL! Funny post!

Old 08-12-2013, 10:57 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,161 times
Cloud7liner, have you ever lived anywhere else? It sounds to me like you have no baseline comparison.

Minnesota has the most lakes in he country and I know for a fact not all 11,134 are "dirty". Ill tell you what's dirty, all of the 20 lakes in Arizona with majority being man made. Funny you say it's called paganism an because I saw a study that Minnesota has one of the higher religious percentages.

As for the people. You have no idea. I had a guy at the grocery store checkout today in Scottsdale, AZ make conversation and we got on the topic of being from Mn and he kept raving about the people and how much nicer it was and how great Minnesota was. This is commonplace. Maybe you need new groupies?

Look around and you'll see it's a great place.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:39 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Cloud7liner, have you ever lived anywhere else? It sounds to me like you have no baseline comparison.

Minnesota has the most lakes in he country and I know for a fact not all 11,134 are "dirty". Ill tell you what's dirty, all of the 20 lakes in Arizona with majority being man made. Funny you say it's called paganism an because I saw a study that Minnesota has one of the higher religious percentages.

As for the people. You have no idea. I had a guy at the grocery store checkout today in Scottsdale, AZ make conversation and we got on the topic of being from Mn and he kept raving about the people and how much nicer it was and how great Minnesota was. This is commonplace. Maybe you need new groupies?

Look around and you'll see it's a great place.
A couple things.

The actual number of lakes differs from source to source. The Historical Society lists more than 15K lakes: Minnesota Facts : MNHS.ORG

Also, there are two states that actually have more lakes than us:

What state has the most lakes

Not that it matters, but just clarifying.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:18 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
A couple things.

The actual number of lakes differs from source to source. The Historical Society lists more than 15K lakes: Minnesota Facts : MNHS.ORG

Also, there are two states that actually have more lakes than us:

What state has the most lakes

Not that it matters, but just clarifying.
not that it matters but your link referencing 62,000 lakes in Michigan is absurd and any glance at a Michigan state map will put that notion to rest. the Michigan DNR site indicates that the number of Michigan Lakes more than 10 acres is 6,340, I'm guessing those other 55,000 lakes comprise mostly of tire ruts filled up with water.

DNR - Facts about Michigan Inland Lakes

I'm also calling out Alaska's claim of more than 3 million lakes as a bald-face lie as Alaskans are well known to embellish everything. All of Canada contains between 2 and 3 million lakes and there ain't no way that Alaska has that many

...just clarifying.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:00 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,606 times
Minnesota has a lot of wonderful things about it, good people, relatively clean enviornment, lots of lakes, cheap land etc....but, in my own opinion, the single, and by far largest, problem are our long Winters. If you think about it, weather affects just about everything you do. If you like to snowmobile, ski or ice fish, you're in good shape for a few months of the year, but we seem to have more "shoulder" seasons....between the bitter cold of Winter and the balmy short season we (in Northern Minnesota anyway) call Summer. These shoulder seasons aren't really conducive to a majority of outside activities that most people enjoy. To warm to keep adequate snow on the ground or safe ice on the lakes for those who enjoy Winter activities, but to cold for those who enjoy Summer activities whether it be swimming in the lake, long comfortable outside walks in a T-shirt and shorts, biking, gardening and just sitting on your deck enjoying your backyard etc...

It all really depends on your own likes, dislikes and personality. If you're into rugged outdoor activities and cold (or our short generally humid warm season) doesn't bother you....this is your place to be. If you're willing to do your favorite outdoor activity in spite of the weather.....this too will work for you in Minnesota. If you're more into doing your outdoor activity in relatively comfortable weather, appropriate for the activity in question of course, this is where the problem starts :-)

I remember when I was a kid seeing pictures of people skiing out West in T-Shirts, Sleeveless vests, no hats on etc...., and always wondering how in the world this was possible. After all, when we ski in Minnesota we're always bundled up from head to toe. Again, it's a matter of necessity. If you want to ski in Minnesota, you basically have only one reasonable option, you bundle up and brave the elements while you're doing it. You don't even expect to ski without having all your skin covered :-) That's an option for more mild places where you can get two feet of snow one day and it's 50 or 60 degrees and sunny the next day....that doesn't happen here.

It's somewhat difficult to even plan Summer activities due to weather that can, and many times does, change from hour to hour. Most every Summer day there is at least a "chance of rain", so you always have to hedge your bets with any outdoor activity plans. It can be Sunny and 70 at noon, and by 2PM a "cold front" moves through and it's raining and the temps have dropped to 55 degrees....so much for that picnic at the beach with the kids who want to swim after lunch.

My Dad, always a Minnesota defender :-), told me cold Winters and other adversities we put up with build your character. He's right of course ! If however you feel you've got enough good character by now, and you'd rather experience a predictably mild, kind and gentler enviornment.....Minnesota isn't the place for you !

Old 08-25-2013, 02:49 PM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
155 posts, read 417,290 times
Quote:
That was hilarious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota