Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:24 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times

Advertisements

The North woods are definitely beautiful and amazing in their own right.

Last edited by Govie; 02-18-2013 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Our MTN range.The saw tooth MTNS.
1st pic is looking west at the saw tooth range
2nd is looking east from palisade with shovel point also in the back ground

Worn down by the glaciers that made the Great Lakes.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 AM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
155 posts, read 417,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Our MTN range.The saw tooth MTNS.
1st pic is looking west at the saw tooth range
2nd is looking east from palisade with shovel point also in the back ground

Worn down by the glaciers that made the Great Lakes.
That is so breathtakingly beautiful! I love Minnesota's mountains! I wonder how scary those hilly/mountainous areas would be in Wintery or rainy weather. I actually kind of like how the mountains aren't quite as big as some of the really huge ones because that makes it less scary for me yet still definitely big enough for me to enjoy and feel like I'm in the mountains! I guess that maybe my seeing them as mountains is a bit along the same lines as my seeing Minneapolis, Saint Paul and even Dayton as big cities while some people do not. I actually think that Duluth is big too but I know that it's not big like Minneapolis or Saint Paul! I currently live in a city with less than 6,000 people. I think that the 2010 census listed approximately 5,884 people, which is an increase from our 2000 population of 5,289 so we're inching our way to 6,000 lol!

Old 02-18-2013, 02:24 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,967 times
We have all kinds of great geography. Like the cliff the lighthouse stands on. MOST states don't have mountains like the Rockies or ocean beaches. I wondered back in the 60's if I could bear looking out and not seeing snow capped mountains. Verdict: I survived just fine. Like Mick Jagger said "Love the one you're with".

Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
I've always liked this one I took in August, 2008.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
I really like the pride of Minnesotans. We're a very proud bunch, we like where we're from and we like our culture -- for the most part, I know I'm generalizing, but I feel like we're a tight-knit community. We travel well - we're educated, articulate, believe in strong family values, respect health care & educated, we're progressive, strong, hard-working. We put up with extended periods of extreme weather -- Cold (like now) or heat (dog days). We deal with snow, ice, sleet and rain. We deal with flooding, tornados, thunderstorms, blizzards and drought. We are outdoors people, but are also cosmopolitan --- as you can take in the arts at a world class venue like the Gurthrie, and be hiking in secluded trails a few minutes later.

We have tons of amenities in this state - We have valleys, rolling hills, lakes, rivers, prairies, coniferous forests, deciduous forests, bluffs and cliffs.

We have a strong economy and are a healthy group of people. We are a passionate group of people who care for the arts and our sports teams.

That's why I like Minnesota and what I think are it's best things.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:38 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
^^^ Great post!

Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 AM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
155 posts, read 417,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I really like the pride of Minnesotans. We're a very proud bunch, we like where we're from and we like our culture -- for the most part, I know I'm generalizing, but I feel like we're a tight-knit community. We travel well - we're educated, articulate, believe in strong family values, respect health care & educated, we're progressive, strong, hard-working. We put up with extended periods of extreme weather -- Cold (like now) or heat (dog days). We deal with snow, ice, sleet and rain. We deal with flooding, tornados, thunderstorms, blizzards and drought. We are outdoors people, but are also cosmopolitan --- as you can take in the arts at a world class venue like the Gurthrie, and be hiking in secluded trails a few minutes later.

We have tons of amenities in this state - We have valleys, rolling hills, lakes, rivers, prairies, coniferous forests, deciduous forests, bluffs and cliffs.

We have a strong economy and are a healthy group of people. We are a passionate group of people who care for the arts and our sports teams.

That's why I like Minnesota and what I think are it's best things.
I agree with Geebabe that this is a great post and I love the picture that you posted in your other post too! ^ ^ ^

I've also noticed the abundance of Minnesota pride and I love it too because I think that it's great to be proud to be Minnesotans! I also like all of those things that you've listed! I'm technically an Ohioan but I want to be a Minnesotan too. I love both states but I love the scenery and sites in MN best if I were to choose judging by scenery and fun. Does that make me a two-timer? I love snow and the variation of weather. It's cool that you have the four seasons although it sounds like the heat can drag on and be unbearable all too often up there as well but I bet swimming and spending time on, in or near the lakes helps some, doesn't it? I really enjoy this talking about the things that we love and enjoy. I think that far too often we focus on the things that we don't care for and I try not to but like most people I'm guilty of focusing on the negative sometimes! I think that my dog helps me to see the brighter side and talking about things that make me happy really help keep me positive and in a good mood more than if I didn't have those joys. Has anyone been to Alexandria to see the Kensington Runestone? I had read about it many many years ago but just recently happened to think of it. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread! I'm really enjoying it and I hope that we can keep it going for a very long time! Best regards to everyone!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 AM

77 posts, read 82,151 times
The Minnesota State Park system.

For a state lacking stunning natural features such as mountains and deserts and great canyon lands, Minnesota has carved out a very nice state park system from the natural features it possesses. Parks like Itasca, Jay Cooke, Whitewater, Blue Mounds, all the parks on the North Shore and too many others to name, the Minnesota State Park system is excellent.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestak View Post
The Minnesota State Park system.

For a state lacking stunning natural features such as mountains and deserts and great canyon lands, Minnesota has carved out a very nice state park system from the natural features it possesses. Parks like Itasca, Jay Cooke, Whitewater, Blue Mounds, all the parks on the North Shore and too many others to name, the Minnesota State Park system is excellent.
What is so great about deserts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota