Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:02 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,251 times

Advertisements

They call them snow machines in Alaska. To me that dosn't make since- a snow machine is something that makes snow on the slopes so people can ski. I supposed they really never have to make snow in Alaska though, so maybe thats why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 06:11 AM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
155 posts, read 417,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
They call them snow machines in Alaska. To me that dosn't make since- a snow machine is something that makes snow on the slopes so people can ski. I supposed they really never have to make snow in Alaska though, so maybe thats why
Ah, that must be what he heard. I agree with you that a snow machine is something that makes snow. I'm glad to know that I'm not as behind in the times (when it comes to snowmobiles) as I was beginning to think lol!

Old 02-17-2013, 11:56 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
The European-American ethnic background of the majority of the state, IMO. It's quite a beautiful hybrid mix of European-America (German, Scandinavian, Polish, Italian, French, Irish, Czech, etc.) culture and background in us Minnesotans that I admire and feel blessed to share. Also personally I think we have the hottest women in the world here. lol

Last edited by Govie; 02-17-2013 at 12:07 PM..

Old 02-17-2013, 12:30 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
The European-American ethnic background of the majority of the state, IMO. It's quite a beautiful hybrid mix of European-America (German, Scandinavian, Polish, Italian, French, Irish, Czech, etc.) culture and background in us Minnesotans that I admire and feel blessed to share. Also personally I think we have the hottest women in the world here. lol
I will concur that Lindsay Vonn is pretty nice for a jock.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:10 PM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
I also love the people of Minnesota and agree that the Scandinavian influence/heritage/culture is pretty awesome and cool! I also think that the Hmong, Somalians, Latinos/Hispanic, Native American people as well all of their heritage/influence/culture and most of all, the FOOD that these wonderful people and their ancestors have brought with them is great!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times
You mentioned climbing Eagle Mountain; that is fun. I lived on the north shore for seven years and the scenery is gorgeous. Lake Superior, the other lakes, the woods, the state parks are all wonderful. I also like the St. Croix river valley and the Mississippi as well. For me the whole eastern part of the state is my favorite. I also love that MN has so many trails for hiking, biking, walking, blading, snowmobiling (sledding ), etc. I love the four seasons and I love, love, love the fresh air!! Oh, and the wildlife is such a treat to observe and study, and now I get to do it with my grandchildren!

I hope you get to explore Minnesota soon!!

Old 02-17-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
You mentioned climbing Eagle Mountain; that is fun. I lived on the north shore for seven years and the scenery is gorgeous. Lake Superior, the other lakes, the woods, the state parks are all wonderful. I also like the St. Croix river valley and the Mississippi as well. For me the whole eastern part of the state is my favorite. I also love that MN has so many trails for hiking, biking, walking, blading, snowmobiling (sledding ), etc. I love the four seasons and I love, love, love the fresh air!! Oh, and the wildlife is such a treat to observe and study, and now I get to do it with my grandchildren!

I hope you get to explore Minnesota soon!!
I LOVE the North Shore area, I think that's awesome to have the mountains and beach/shore close to each other! I also like the Eastern part of the state best, I liked everywhere that I went and saw but I found the Eastern part to be the most beautiful. I really like how MN has it all though. Mountains, beaches, prairie, woods, fields, huge cities, small towns and so much more! I'm not a grandparent yet but I am an uncle and I LOVE it! The kids make everything so much more fun and exciting! I love hearing them laugh. I'd love to get some of my family to visit Minnesota and hopefully at least some of them will someday. Thank you I hope to get there to explore MN soon. I think that it could be fun to bring my dog too because she loves to swim and she does quite well on car rides, although I haven't taken her very far yet. I think that Minnesota's lakes and rivers would be perfect for my nephews, dog and I to swim! I like the no shark factor. I also love to observe and study the wildlife. I want to see a moose someday and I also like wolves, lynx, bears and I bet that Loon would be beautiful to watch too! I may just have to move to Minnesota because this obsession is not going to go away lol. Minnesota is too awesome! PS I just remembered the Runestone, which I DEFINITELY want to check out! Is that In Alexandria?

Old 02-18-2013, 12:02 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikälskaren View Post
I LOVE the North Shore area, I think that's awesome to have the mountains and beach/shore close to each other! I also like the Eastern part of the state best, I liked everywhere that I went and saw but I found the Eastern part to be the most beautiful. I really like how MN has it all though. Mountains, beaches, prairie, woods, fields, huge cities, small towns and so much more! I'm not a grandparent yet but I am an uncle and I LOVE it! The kids make everything so much more fun and exciting! I love hearing them laugh. I'd love to get some of my family to visit Minnesota and hopefully at least some of them will someday. Thank you I hope to get there to explore MN soon. I think that it could be fun to bring my dog too because she loves to swim and she does quite well on car rides, although I haven't taken her very far yet. I think that Minnesota's lakes and rivers would be perfect for my nephews, dog and I to swim! I like the no shark factor. I also love to observe and study the wildlife. I want to see a moose someday and I also like wolves, lynx, bears and I bet that Loon would be beautiful to watch too! I may just have to move to Minnesota because this obsession is not going to go away lol. Minnesota is too awesome! PS I just remembered the Runestone, which I DEFINITELY want to check out! Is that In Alexandria?
Mmmmm, not so much mountains. In fact that's, in my opinion at least, the one feature this state is missing in the grand scheme. Although we did produce as pointed out above one of the best skiers on the planet in Lindsey Vonn and she learned on Buck Hill here.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikälskaren View Post
Is there another name for snowmobiles/snowmobiling? My dad said that they're not called snowmobiles anymore but I was unaware of this. I've always known of them as snowmobiles but that doesn't really mean much lol. He had been watching Alaska State Troopers and/or Alaska Patrol or what ever the name of the shows he saw which are filmed in Alaska so I wondered if maybe they call snowmobiles something else in Alaska or he said that there may be some which can also be used without snow being on the ground so these could even be two different things unless I just weren't aware of any of this which could very well be!
In Alaska, snowmobiles are called snowmachines, or "iron dogs" (since dog mushing is so popular).

Old 02-18-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Mmmmm, not so much mountains. In fact that's, in my opinion at least, the one feature this state is missing in the grand scheme. Although we did produce as pointed out above one of the best skiers on the planet in Lindsey Vonn and she learned on Buck Hill here.
Well, sometimes I forget that they may not really count as mountains to most people. I guess they may not technically count as mountains to some people and they probably only are mountains to me because I'm from Ohio lol. We have hills here and I actually consider some of the really tall ones to be mountains but I know that my mountains in Ohio and Minnesota are not as tall or high as any in Hawaii, Alaska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and many other places with large mountains. I'm not sure about Massachusett, Connecticut or Rhode Island because I don't know anything about any of those states so they could very well have large mountains as well. But being from Ohio the hills/mountains of Southern, Southeastern, Eastern and Northeastern Ohio seem large to me. And the ones in Minnesota seem large to me too because they're even larger than the ones in Ohio. But I know that they may not be considered mountains to normal people lol. I keep forgetting (even though people constantly remind me) lol that I'm not normal! I liked South Dakota as well as Wyoming, Oklahoma and Texas but as far as scenery I prefer the more lush areas of Eastern Minnesota, Wisconsin, Eastern Texas, and the other places of the East which get more rain. I'm not at all insulting the western areas because, like I said, I like them as well! I simply prefer the forests and trees of the East if I were to have to pick between the two. I began to get interested in Minnesota round 15-15.5 years ago and after I researched it via countless library books, websites, photos, visitor's guides, etc I had a feeling that I would love it and I was so happy when I finally got to visit and it was everything that I wanted, thought it would be, hoped for AND MORE! I know that it's weird that out of all of the places in the world and even all of the places in this country that my favourite place is Minnesota but it is kind of nice because it is not very far from Ohio and I think that it would probably be no more than 1000 miles at the most (for some of the far Northwestern reaches of the state) and most of Minnesota is probably between 600 and 800-900 miles so I'm lucky to be in love with Minnesota as far that goes. It's kind of interesting to me too how after years of liking Minnesota I've found many more reasons to like it as I've gotten older, discovered new/more things about the state and some of my interests changed as well over the years. I'm sorry for the long post lol, maybe I need to move up there so that I'll shut the Hell up and maybe I won't annoy the Ohioans and others as much lol! But I think that I love you Minnesotans too much to subject you to having me live up there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota