Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:48 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.drew View Post
Is there room in downtown Minneapolis for a new stadium?
Big news yesterday and today is that they are "close" on moving on a deal on the East lot right next to the HHH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 09:22 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,930 times
Sources: Vikings, state, Minneapolis have preliminary stadium deal | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/139543818.html - broken link)

Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,237,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Big news yesterday and today is that they are "close" on moving on a deal on the East lot right next to the HHH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Sources: Vikings, state, Minneapolis have preliminary stadium deal | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/139543818.html - broken link)
So we might be getting a brand new stadium that will still rank last in the NFL for tailgating experience?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,237,199 times
I predict the new Vikings stadium will be on lists and in articles like this if built at the current metrodome site.....

The 25 Dumbest Stadiums Ever Built | Bleacher Report

Old 02-18-2012, 06:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
I predict the new Vikings stadium will be on lists and in articles like this if built at the current metrodome site.....

The 25 Dumbest Stadiums Ever Built | Bleacher Report
The Dome is on that list already. I've been to the Jones Dome several times. It's a nice facility. I guess I don't understand the beef with that stadium. The parking situation there is similar to what the dome has now, lots of tiny lots around the stadium but a nice sized ramp connected to the stadium. Easy walking distance to a lot of great places to eat and to the Gateway Arch....unlike the dome where there is nothing worthwhile near by.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The Dome is on that list already. I've been to the Jones Dome several times. It's a nice facility. I guess I don't understand the beef with that stadium. The parking situation there is similar to what the dome has now, lots of tiny lots around the stadium but a nice sized ramp connected to the stadium. Easy walking distance to a lot of great places to eat and to the Gateway Arch....unlike the dome where there is nothing worthwhile near by.
The new Guthrie, Mill Ruins, Gold Medal Park, Mississippi River and Stone Arch Bridge are all within a short walking distance of the Metrodome. In fact in looking at the two stadiums and surroundings on Google Maps they both look very similarly situated in alot of ways. Both stadiums sit about the same distance from the river and both are nestled up against a freeway (Metrodome by 35W and Edward Jones Dome by 70. I agree that in the immediate vicinity of the dome there is potential for improvement but if everything is planned right I don't see why the area couldn't be developed.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
The new Guthrie, Mill Ruins, Gold Medal Park, Mississippi River and Stone Arch Bridge are all within a short walking distance of the Metrodome. In fact in looking at the two stadiums and surroundings on Google Maps they both look very similarly situated in alot of ways. Both stadiums sit about the same distance from the river and both are nestled up against a freeway (Metrodome by 35W and Edward Jones Dome by 70. I agree that in the immediate vicinity of the dome there is potential for improvement but if everything is planned right I don't see why the area couldn't be developed.
Downtown St. Louis has far more to offer than Minneapolis...and the buildings are MUCH nicer in St. Louis, more historic buildings, the architecture is amazing in St. Louis....just don't walk around there alone at night .

Old 02-18-2012, 11:44 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,099,741 times
Ghengis. This is a response to post number 21.

That second stadium on the outside appears to look similar to this one in the link below but with a cage around it. Where did you find this stadium? It sounds like it is only a proposal and not actually built. Is this correct?

File:Ullevi stadium in gothenburg 20060510.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-18-2012, 11:46 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,099,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Downtown St. Louis has far more to offer than Minneapolis...and the buildings are MUCH nicer in St. Louis, more historic buildings, the architecture is amazing in St. Louis....just don't walk around there alone at night .
St. Louis is a bit older than Minneapolis and it developed a little more quickly during its infancy than Minneapolis. Minneapolis is clearly growing at a faster rate in the last couple of decades and has now caught up in the population race. It is just a matter of time before more entertainment venues and culture comes along with this growth.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:36 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Ghengis. This is a response to post number 21.

That second stadium on the outside appears to look similar to this one in the link below but with a cage around it. Where did you find this stadium? It sounds like it is only a proposal and not actually built. Is this correct?

File:Ullevi stadium in gothenburg 20060510.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Avia Stadium (cap 51,700) in Dublin is very real and opened in 2010, it will host a Navy vs. Notre Dame football game later this year.

Aviva Stadium : Built On Greatness : Home (http://www.avivastadium.ie/index.aspx - broken link)

pics from wik....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota