Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:19 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

I really don't know what to say, other than the fact that what those kids did was wrong.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:28 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Exactly. Apparently Omar Jamal is the only Somali in this city with an opinion on anything. It really isn't helping out race relations any.
I don't remember Omar Jamal crying racism too often (albeit he has certainly been extremely annoying and seemed to always get his face in front of a camera). I am happy to report, however, that I have great news- the reason Omar Jamal's face isn't all over the news- he doesn't live in MSP anymore! Although I seriously question the decision-making of the persons that chose him for his new post and wonder how long it will last, see here: Local activist takes post with Somali mission to U.N. | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/local/70336432.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU - broken link)

Old 11-22-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I don't remember Omar Jamal crying racism too often (albeit he has certainly been extremely annoying and seemed to always get his face in front of a camera). I am happy to report, however, that I have great news- the reason Omar Jamal's face isn't all over the news- he doesn't live in MSP anymore! Although I seriously question the decision-making of the persons that chose him for his new post and wonder how long it will last, see here: Local activist takes post with Somali mission to U.N. | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/local/70336432.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU - broken link)
I hope Omar Jamal helps to get rid of al-Qaeda. Back to the topic. I don't know much about Omar Jamal, other than what I have read. You say he can be annoying. I just don't know how though. I need to know more about this man. Can you tell me more about him, some of the situations involving his leadership?

Old 11-23-2009, 10:05 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times
Omar Jamal is like the Somali "Al Sharpton", a self appointed speaker and advocate for the Somali community in Minneapolis.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Omar Jamal is like the Somali "Al Sharpton", a self appointed speaker and advocate for the Somali community in Minneapolis.
How much more do you know? I don't take everything at face value. A DM will be better for this question.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:14 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I hope Omar Jamal helps to get rid of al-Qaeda. Back to the topic. I don't know much about Omar Jamal, other than what I have read. You say he can be annoying. I just don't know how though. I need to know more about this man. Can you tell me more about him, some of the situations involving his leadership?
I just DMed you about this to give my thoughts, albeit I'm not too sure what he did outside of speak to the media (if there were other things, however, I probably would have been aware of them at some point or another).

Old 11-24-2009, 06:10 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
It's okay to talk about the Somali connection within reason and context, but let's not turn this thread into a bash Somali immigrants discussion, please.

For one thing, violence in the Twin Cities is hardly isolated to only Somali youth.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:10 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
But the point of kids filming attacks on unsuspecting folks is a sign of lack of guidance in the homes, and quite the need for acceptance and attention. Consequences should be notable to prevent copycats in the future.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:35 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Anyone know the latest on whether or not they've arrested more of these kids? I haven't seen it lately in the news, although may have just missed it.

This video and the stabbed mugger (also a teen) on the Greenway all happened in the same short time period. Obviously in this particular case it was a group of Somali kids and I hope that the Somali organizations and community is using this as an opportunity to make clear to their kids (and parents) that this sort of thing is unacceptable.

Does anyone know if South High School has or is doing anything to address any of these issues with their students? South certainly isn't the only school with criminal kids, and I'm not sure if the kids in this video went there (although am guessing some did, as they filmed some of it near there), but the stabbed mugger was a South student. Given the flurry of high-profile public acts of violence involving their students it seems like the school should address it somehow.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:41 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Anyone know the latest on whether or not they've arrested more of these kids? I haven't seen it lately in the news, although may have just missed it.

This video and the stabbed mugger (also a teen) on the Greenway all happened in the same short time period. Obviously in this particular case it was a group of Somali kids and I hope that the Somali organizations and community is using this as an opportunity to make clear to their kids (and parents) that this sort of thing is unacceptable.

Does anyone know if South High School has or is doing anything to address any of these issues with their students? South certainly isn't the only school with criminal kids, and I'm not sure if the kids in this video went there (although am guessing some did, as they filmed some of it near there), but the stabbed mugger was a South student. Given the flurry of high-profile public acts of violence involving their students it seems like the school should address it somehow.
The video link doesn't work anymore but as I recall the school they walked by at the beginning wasn't South, it looks alot like South but as they walked past the school you can see a fenced in grassy area and South is just a parking lot followed by a street corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul