Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 AM

120 posts, read 265,346 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this article I discovered yesterday:Downtown Minneapolis rocked by six violent "flash mob" attacks during last two months - Minneapolis News - The Blotter

I know that all cities have crime downtown, or any other area, but to see this has been happening more than a couple of times with little to no media coverage or discussion leaves me worried for my friend who just moved to Nicollet and Grant. I know the chance of being victimized in downtown Minneapolis if you're only walking up or down Nicollet during morning or afternoon hours is extremely low; however, he lives there...so I just wanted to get your take on this story and if you've heard anything about it. Thanks.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:58 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,883,459 times
It's totally random, usually "hipsters" seem to be the target, and usually "urban" kids seem to be the culprits. It's no different than somebody mugging you in a big city -- there's always that (low) risk. Today, instead of kids vandalizing buildings with graffiti or doing other ridiculous things, they are attacking innocent people in large "mobs". Personally I can't stand it, and it pi$$es me off that it happens! If I ever see something like this unfold, and I'm with at least a few people who could help, I'd try to stop it! I think your friend will be safe though, but at the end of the day there's only so much you can do, and Minneapolis is not unique in having this problem.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:40 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,480,367 times
I think "flash mob" is a misnomer. The reporter maybe wanted to show off, but in the process created unnecessary confusion. I'd say, rather, it is a matter of kids without any worthwhile activity creating disruption to amuse themselves. At least one got arrested. A symptom of families with no active parent. I think society needs a way to hold parents accountable. As long as they can say "he's unmanageable", that means they can give birth and then just dump on the doorstep of society. An effective contraceptive might be making sure they bear the full burden till the kid reaches majority. As of now, people have no need to give a moment's thought to grabbing for some quick satisfaction.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:04 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
The fact that they have to gang up on random people is quite sad, If you have to call a couple of your friends to go attack a random person and only getting a bike out of it... your really showing what kind of person you really are.

Reminds me of the dumb Minneapolis kids who recorded themselves running around and pushing and shoving random people, they did it because they wanted to feel tough... having you and your friends jump someone doesnt show that you are tough.

These guys are a bunch of wanna be gangster kids, just be alert when the street is empty when your walking on a sidewalk stay close to the street because they like to hide in bushes. If you are getting attacked be very loud and don't be afraid to pick up a rock or something off the street and attack them back

Old 03-29-2012, 02:29 PM

60 posts, read 108,044 times
there might be some sort of new thing going on.......this sounds the same as a flash mob that attacked over 100 fair goers in milwaukee state fair and it was pretty bad. than i read of a simular incident in chicago.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:24 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,344,036 times
Wasn't there also an incident like this at the Mall of America? Like West336, I also get really upset at these attacks. I remember walking through Harborplace in downtown Baltimore about 20 years ago and all of a sudden a huge group of wild kids came running through the place, turning over tables and throwing things. It's pathetic, but apparently some people have absolutely nothing better to do with their lives.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,751,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
It's totally random, usually "hipsters" seem to be the target, and usually "urban" kids seem to be the culprits. It's no different than somebody mugging you in a big city -- there's always that (low) risk. Today, instead of kids vandalizing buildings with graffiti or doing other ridiculous things, they are attacking innocent people in large "mobs". Personally I can't stand it, and it pi$$es me off that it happens! If I ever see something like this unfold, and I'm with at least a few people who could help, I'd try to stop it! I think your friend will be safe though, but at the end of the day there's only so much you can do, and Minneapolis is not unique in having this problem.
If white people attack black people its a hate crime, when blacks attack whites its just a crime. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:02 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,480,367 times
Just occurred to me that these youth probably think their "recreation" is safer downtown. With all the guns in the 'hood, they could end up dead instead of just under arrest. So they are taking the chicken route to me. But till the first bullet gets fired, the cops might think this stuff is the lesser evil. Plus, so much easier to do the arrest than in streets where the onlookers won't snitch.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:35 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,592,737 times
Not surprised (but deeply saddened) to see this has come to Mpls. Philadelphia has been plagued with this for the past few years, and of course Chicago and Milwaukee. Even Madison has had incidents like this. This stuff spreads like wildfire.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:08 PM

2,948 posts, read 5,196,643 times
Boston seems to have been spared this nonsense, at least last summer when it was popular in some cities. They'd even attack a Sears or a Walgreen's, storming off with merchandse.

I hope it's not a repeat this summer across America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul