Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:39 PM

252 posts, read 591,117 times

Advertisements

I hadn't really considered private school for my kid until we moved here. I'm sure that Edina, M'Tonka, Chan, and other southwestern suburbs have excellent school systems, but many young families in our suburb have enrolled their kids at King of Grace. If we stick around after I graduate law school, we are going to try and get our kid into Providence or King of Grace.

I respect what everyone else is saying about their good public schools, and the cost of private schools. However, we have to consider the education our kid is getting at Robbinsdale/Crystal, and the fact that the caliber of classmates he has is pretty sub-par (over-generalizing here - there are also good kids at R/C), there is no way we can leave him in that school system if we can avoid it.

One thing that the private-school nay-sayers might want to consider is the fact that many private schools offer need-based and merit scholarships. Moreover, the cost of private school is similar to day-care in some cases. I think when you really investigate the cost and find that it is not so prohibitive, that it becomes a good value. Like it or not, kids at private schools do better as a whole than kids from public schools. Some of these schools are pretty prestigious, and their alumni form a valuable network. This is not to say that kids from public schools don't succeed, because they can and do. But, given the alternative between where we're at and and the average private school, the choice is pretty clear.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:54 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrogers1122 View Post
I hadn't really considered private school for my kid until we moved here. I'm sure that Edina, M'Tonka, Chan, and other southwestern suburbs have excellent school systems, but many young families in our suburb have enrolled their kids at King of Grace. If we stick around after I graduate law school, we are going to try and get our kid into Providence or King of Grace.

I respect what everyone else is saying about their good public schools, and the cost of private schools. However, we have to consider the education our kid is getting at Robbinsdale/Crystal, and the fact that the caliber of classmates he has is pretty sub-par (over-generalizing here - there are also good kids at R/C), there is no way we can leave him in that school system if we can avoid it.

One thing that the private-school nay-sayers might want to consider is the fact that many private schools offer need-based and merit scholarships. Moreover, the cost of private school is similar to day-care in some cases. I think when you really investigate the cost and find that it is not so prohibitive, that it becomes a good value. Like it or not, kids at private schools do better as a whole than kids from public schools. Some of these schools are pretty prestigious, and their alumni form a valuable network. This is not to say that kids from public schools don't succeed, because they can and do. But, given the alternative between where we're at and and the average private school, the choice is pretty clear.
Remember that you do have the open enrollment option too. You can sign up to send your child to any public school in the state as long as they have room and you are willing to transport them.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:05 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrogers1122 View Post

There is a strong belief system here at CD Forum based on the acceptance of the theory that public schools in Minnesota are superior to those in other states, and are equal to or superior to private schools. I don't subscribe to it, but I usually see little value in challenging it.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
There is a strong belief system here at CD Forum based on the acceptance of the theory that public schools in Minnesota are superior to those in other states, and are equal to or superior to private schools. I don't subscribe to it, but I usually see little value in challenging it.
That is because it has been proven to be true time and time again. The only real difference in the private schools is you generally don't have the special ed kids or as many discipline problems which does help the overall atmosphere in the classrooms. There, however, are other issues in private schools that can be negatives, namely parents that think because they pay tuition they get to tell everyone how to run things.

You think the Minneapolis schools are just fine so how do you not "subscribe" to that theory yourself??

Old 08-10-2012, 02:44 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,079,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I suspect much of the difference between MN and some states is demographic, not the result of "better schools" per se.

When almost everyone goes to public schools and there aren't as many serious family issues in the student population holding some back, the overall learning environment is probably healthier.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You think the Minneapolis schools are just fine so how do you not "subscribe" to that theory yourself??
Though we are a private school family, I often feel called to defend some of the the Minneapolis Public Schools against what i feel are unwarranted attacks with respect to their status versus other public schools, often suburban schools.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:53 AM

1 posts, read 6,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn001 View Post
Can anyone help with comparison or advice between providence academy , International school and blake school as well?

Blake is the best academic school in MN. Providence is too strict, restrictive, and intolerant (with no competitive athletic programs); IS is a poor excuse for a private school. Breck is fine for a top tear Minnesota private school, but Blake is simply a top tear national private school that happens to be located in Minnesota... many similar institution can be found on the eastern seaboard.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interesting_human View Post
Blake is the best academic school in MN. Providence is too strict, restrictive, and intolerant (with no competitive athletic programs); IS is a poor excuse for a private school. Breck is fine for a top tear Minnesota private school, but Blake is simply a top tear national private school that happens to be located in Minnesota... many similar institution can be found on the eastern seaboard.
The rankings on the Minneapolis side are often seen as Breck, Blake, and Minnehaha, while St. Paul Academy and Mounds Park Academy stand out on the east side of the cities. The differences in quality among these schools are small and the rankings among them might be slightly different in other people's minds, but this group comprises the top tier private universe in the Twin Cities.

Last edited by Glenfield; 08-11-2012 at 07:00 AM..

Old 08-11-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interesting_human;25584031[B
]Blake is the best academic school in MN[/b]. Providence is too strict, restrictive, and intolerant (with no competitive athletic programs); IS is a poor excuse for a private school. Breck is fine for a top tear Minnesota private school, but Blake is simply a top tear national private school that happens to be located in Minnesota... many similar institution can be found on the eastern seaboard.
I beg to differ with that but it is a good school. I think you will find that St. John's Prep School is superior academically.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:08 AM

3 posts, read 20,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interesting_human View Post

This really helps...Any thoughts about international school in Eden Prarie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul