Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 07:44 AM

47 posts, read 29,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezemont View Post
I saw this post before you edited it. You had originally said, "Anyway, Blake is certainly better than Breck in the Twin Cities area." but then you deleted it.
Yes, I did say Blake is better. I also said that maybe not so much better if we consider all the independent schools in the US. Based on the information you provided, I would be surprised if you are not related to Breck's admission office.

Old 10-06-2023, 08:02 AM

55 posts, read 55,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iameexc View Post
Yes, I did say Blake is better. I also said that maybe not so much better if we consider all the independent schools in the US. Based on the information you provided, I would be surprised if you are not related to Breck's admission office.
Right. Everyone on this thread, for over a decade, who have preferred Breck over Blake (I think basically all) must be related to the Breck admissions office.

More importantly, you removed the comment about Blake being better than Breck because it didn't make sense given your untrue claim to have students at Breck. You can't keep your story straight, and it's a bit entertaining.

Old 10-06-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iameexc View Post
BTW, you strategically cut off the latter portion of my quote to not bring attention to your agenda of baselessly disparaging Breck. Here is my full quote with the part that you cut off in bold:

I saw this post before you edited it. You had originally said, "Anyway, Blake is certainly better than Breck in the Twin Cities area." but then you deleted it. You originally claimed to have students at Breck, but I think we can now agree that you do not. You have an agenda to disparage Breck, and it's not working. You know nothing whatsoever about the school, and your hollow claims are baseless. Readers really need to read all your posts as your agenda is transparent.

Old 10-06-2023, 09:58 AM

47 posts, read 29,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezemont View Post
BTW, you strategically cut off the latter portion of my quote to not bring attention to your agenda of baselessly disparaging Breck. Here is my full quote with the part that you cut off in bold:

I saw this post before you edited it. You had originally said, "Anyway, Blake is certainly better than Breck in the Twin Cities area." but then you deleted it. You originally claimed to have students at Breck, but I think we can now agree that you do not. You have an agenda to disparage Breck, and it's not working. You know nothing whatsoever about the school, and your hollow claims are baseless. Readers really need to read all your posts as your agenda is transparent.
My whole purpose is to share first-hand information so that newcomers can make better-informed decision on important things. To summarize, if you want your children to be able to explore their own creative ideas, there are better choices than Breck. Blake is just one of them. MPA is another one. There are excellent local public schools as well. They encourage children to be creative, value their motivation, provide resources, instead of repeatedly stop them from being creative. If you just expect your children to become hard-workers, homework machine, if you don't mind occasional teachers who are not good at communication, reading/writing, staying organized, explaining things in clear ways, if you don't mind going to the church every week, Breck is not a bad option. We believe that school is just a package we pay to supplement home education. We also believe that it is not only important to work hard, but also work in smart and efficient ways. We don't change our needs to fit schools, but we find schools that fit our needs. Things can certainly be worse. We did have some good teachers from Breck.

I am actually very busy. I don't work in any admissions office. This will be my last post.

Old 10-06-2023, 11:14 AM

****To all readers - the poster "iameexc" originally claimed to have students at Breck. It quickly became apparent that she did not, and now she says "we *did* have some good teachers from Breck." This poster has repeatedly demonstrated that she does not have any first-hand experience at Breck, and one can only surmise that she either regrets her decision to pay for Blake, her kids didn't get into Breck, or she just has some other chip on her shoulder. Her posts are diametrically opposite from the opinions posted here for over a decade. Please be sure to read all of her posts as they make her story of baseless disparagement perfectly clear ****

I won't waste time again responding to her nonsensical posts about Breck not be flexible, as this is the opposite of the truth. I will, however, reiterate that the idea of Breck students "going to church" is absurd. Breck students are required, with a small portion of their time, to learn about all of the religions of the world. 20-30 years ago, the country club mentality private schools like Blake were a better option than they are today. Diversity and inclusion are front and center today, and I believe that students who understand different people's perspectives are at a very significant advantage. The religious teaching at Breck is not biased in any way, and it's not any more of a requirement than it was for me to take a course in religion at the top 10 college that I attended. I would never have supported Breck if the small religious component was biased on one direction or another.

The bottom line is to visit the schools. If you decide to look at Blake, make sure to insist on meeting the teachers. Ask them how they collaborate on projects - they do not. Ask the same questions at Breck - they do. See if you prefer the Breck environment where small time one upmanship and materialism are discouraged (with uniforms being one example), or if you prefer the materialistic pressure cooker environment at Blake. Again, don't be swayed by the rankings that often are the result of parent interviews - Breck does not participate and Blake encourages them. Also, don't be swayed by Blake students sometimes having very *very* slightly higher standardized text scores. Blake teaches to standardized tests and Breck teaches students to be unique individuals. If you want your student to crush the SAT/ACT, spend a few thousand dollars on a test course. It's a small investment in the grand scheme of private school costs.

The nice thing is that, no matter what you read here, when you visit the schools, it will be very obvious to you.

Old 10-06-2023, 02:22 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
It seems that the discussion between you two is going nowhere and now includes personal attacks.
If you wish you can continue it per DMs, not public forum.
This thread is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul