Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2023, 03:00 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,094,285 times

Advertisements

I personally find it laughable that any Minnesotan would waste their money pointlessly sending their kids to a private school.

Old 09-20-2023, 04:00 PM

6,564 posts, read 7,145,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I personally find it laughable that any Minnesotan would waste their money pointlessly sending their kids to a private school.
I have a friend in Anchorage (I lived there in the past) who is applying today for his kid to get into Shattuck St Mary’s if he can get on the hockey team. The cost is $70k for schooling, and $10k for the hockey each year. This is the #1 hockey prep school in North America (tons of Canadian NHL top tier superstars attended there). The hockey network is off the charts, Breck and Blake’s academic network is what parents will pay for….who you know is the most important thing!

Old 09-21-2023, 05:31 PM

47 posts, read 30,003 times
If a school only talks about diversity or too much diversity, it is not good. A school is a place to study, to learn in the first place, not a place for pure politics. I don’t see anything wrong with Blake or Wayzata, Minnetonka schools focusing more on academics. Several friends at Blake are very happy with the school management. There can be many reasons why students transfer from Blake to other schools. It could be that they just couldn’t survive at Blake academically, just like one of the previous posts mentioned. So I think using academics of that group to argue against a school is illogical. Personal attacks in public forum are not good either.

Old 09-25-2023, 11:46 AM

55 posts, read 55,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iameexc View Post
If a school only talks about diversity or too much diversity, it is not good. A school is a place to study, to learn in the first place, not a place for pure politics. I don’t see anything wrong with Blake or Wayzata, Minnetonka schools focusing more on academics. Several friends at Blake are very happy with the school management. There can be many reasons why students transfer from Blake to other schools. It could be that they just couldn’t survive at Blake academically, just like one of the previous posts mentioned. So I think using academics of that group to argue against a school is illogical. Personal attacks in public forum are not good either.
You are simply uninformed. Look at the years of comments. Students who try to go from Blake to Breck, when they are accepted are, in almost every case, behind at Breck. In terms of academic rigor, these schools aren't comparable.

Old 09-25-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Yeah. Not quite so simple.

Old 09-25-2023, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezemont View Post
You are simply uninformed. Look at the years of comments. Students who try to go from Blake to Breck, when they are accepted are, in almost every case, behind at Breck. In terms of academic rigor, these schools aren't comparable.
You did not get my point even after I explained several times. Most likely that the students who transferred from Blake to Breck were the ones who could not keep up with Blake’s academics and could not survive there. Otherwise why they wanted to transfer. So they were behind at Blake. It is very normal that they were behind at Breck as well. In fact if they were only a little bit behind at Breck, then it simply means Blake academics is stronger than Breck. How can it be used to argue that Breck is better in academics than Blake? There is no logic in your argument.

Old 09-25-2023, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezemont View Post
It's extremely rare that Breck students transfer to Blake, but on the occasion that a Blake student gets into Breck, they are almost always behind. The work load is incomparable at these schools.
It is rare because there is a reason. Excellent students at Breck will become just good or even so-so students at Blake. Look at Blake students’ scores in standardized tests and academic competitions. It is better in almost every area.

Old 09-26-2023, 12:45 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,835,015 times
Quote:
Your reply makes me think again if Breck is the right school for us. We the parents don't work for money. We work for the people, for science, for the wellbeing of the society. We don't expect my kids to grow into money-collectors.
Good for you! My family also prioritizes the wellbeing of society, which is why we send our kids to the local public schools serving our neighborhood...

I wish more would do the same, especially those concerned with matters of equity and the strength of our public institutions.

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 09-26-2023 at 12:54 PM..

Old 09-27-2023, 05:14 PM

Quote:
You did not get my point even after I explained several times. Most likely that the students who transferred from Blake to Breck were the ones who could not keep up with Blake’s academics and could not survive there. Otherwise why they wanted to transfer. So they were behind at Blake. It is very normal that they were behind at Breck as well. In fact if they were only a little bit behind at Breck, then it simply means Blake academics is stronger than Breck. How can it be used to argue that Breck is better in academics than Blake? There is no logic in your argument.
The work load at Blake is less, and this is a simple fact. Blake middle school assigns almost no homework. I have spoken with numerous teachers at Blake, including deans, and they have a different philosophy about homework. If you want less work, Blake is the right choice. It all depends on your view of homework.

Old 09-27-2023, 05:25 PM

Quote:
It is rare because there is a reason. Excellent students at Breck will become just good or even so-so students at Blake. Look at Blake students’ scores in standardized tests and academic competitions. It is better in almost every area.
lol!!!! Your comments show your ignorance. Blake cares about test scores, no doubt. A $5,000 test prep course can get your kid a 1500 SAT score. The students at Breck are well rounded in a way that is incomparable to Blake. Blake is a bubble of 1980s entitlement and disconnection from reality. If you want a small chance of a slightly better standardized test score, Blake might be for you, but ithat comes at the cost of having a child whose education does little to broaden their perspective. If you only care about grades and text scores, Blake could be for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul