Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 01:05 PM

455 posts, read 1,117,940 times

Advertisements

[quote=TheGrandViking;59420982]Considering I lived in Minneapolis in the 90s, when crime was at it's peak, I probably lived in a more dangerous city than you currently do and it didn't leave me being scared or frightened (look up the crime statistics in that era and they are much higher than now). I'm not a huge booster of the city and prefer the suburbs, but the level of bashing of Minneapolis currently is probably driven by this election.

[/QUOTE
I lived in Mpls in the 90's too. Nothing like it is now. The city had a full police force then. People bash Mpls because it is now a dangerous city to live in with an insane city council at the helm.

You don't have a clue what is going on here now because 95% of the crime never makes the news. I follow police scanner news so I know what is going on.

This is my last reply to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 01:10 PM

[quote=lalife;59421848]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
Considering I lived in Minneapolis in the 90s, when crime was at it's peak, I probably lived in a more dangerous city than you currently do and it didn't leave me being scared or frightened (look up the crime statistics in that era and they are much higher than now). I'm not a huge booster of the city and prefer the suburbs, but the level of bashing of Minneapolis currently is probably driven by this election.

[/QUOTE
I lived in Mpls in the 90's too. Nothing like it is now. The city had a full police force then. People bash Mpls because it is now a dangerous city to live in with an insane city council at the helm.

You don't have a clue what is going on here now because 95% of the crime never makes the news. I follow police scanner reporting so I know what is going on.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

542 posts, read 453,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
[

You don't have a clue what is going on here now because 95% of the crime never makes the news. I follow police scanner news so I know what is going on.

You have lived here this long and still don't know how to dress for cold weather!! Wow.

You have yet to define the percent loss of Minneapolis residents that constitute a 'mass exodus"? Why won't you give a number for that?

How do you define a "full" police force? I disagree about the motivation for bashing the city council and their mental state. I disagree with them about their methods but believe reform is necessary.

I predict that the crime level, as reported to the FBI, will be less than peak 1990-it will probably be higher than last year by a certain percentage. The crime rate, based on the percent of population, will be difficult to top the highs from the 90s. I'll revisit this thread when they come out and we'll see who is right.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 10-16-2020 at 02:03 PM..

Old 10-18-2020, 09:34 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,430,350 times
For those who still believe the theory that there is a mass exodus happening in Minneapolis (assuming they haven’t move on from it yet) I’m wondering when we can expect to see a drop in housing prices? It hasn’t happened yet and I’m itching to make an upgrade on the cheap while mortgage rates are still low.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,960,398 times
The exodus might happen slower than some think. Assuming that they will continue with a downsized police department, crime will continue to rise and more will move out. But certainly not most or all. Milwaukee WI is terrible, high crime, high taxes, and terrible schools. I wouldn't think anyone would want to live there, but over 600,000 still do. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The exodus might happen slower than some think. Assuming that they will continue with a downsized police department, crime will continue to rise and more will move out. But certainly not most or all. Milwaukee WI is terrible, high crime, high taxes, and terrible schools. I wouldn't think anyone would want to live there, but over 600,000 still do. Different strokes for different folks.
Wisconsin has different gun laws than MN. One can protect your home and life if criminals break in. In MN, criminals have more rights than law abiding citizens.

WI has castle doctrine law.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:22 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,430,350 times
The Milwaukee comparison is a little strange, given that it is in a city in stagnation, while Minneapolis has been flourishing. Since 2010, Minneapolis has gained nearly 50,000 new residents within its city limits, while Milwaukee’s population has decreased by 4,000.

All that being said I personally like Milwaukee a lot and would consider living there on account of its inexpensive housing and proximity to Chicago.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:03 AM

542 posts, read 453,348 times
Quote:
Wisconsin has different gun laws than MN. One can protect your home and life if criminals break in. In MN, criminals have more rights than law abiding citizens.

s.

This is absolutely wrong. I have a carry permit and have had classes. This subject is talked about at length and is called "a duty to retreat". It is basically what I call the decent person law. It means you can shoot and kill someone who has broken into your house and committing a felony. But, you just have to evaluate the threat and if the threat is neutralized you don't get to kill them. You just have to be clear headed and rational when using your firearm instead of scared and irrational.

The law is strong enough for personal protection but does not embolden what i call the yeeha yahoos from provoking confrontations so they can brandish their firearm or kill someone without consequences. You have to think and evaluate instead of reacting without thought or provoking a confrontation.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:16 AM

3,819 posts, read 5,374,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Exactly. Some posters in these threads assume that if something doesn't happen at, say, riot speed, it isn't happening or going to happen. Up to 66 homicides already this year in Riotville to date, against only 49 in all of 2019.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:51 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,781,608 times
Quote:

Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
s.

This is absolutely wrong. I have a carry permit and have had classes. This subject is talked about at length and is called "a duty to retreat". It is basically what I call the decent person law. It means you can shoot and kill someone who has broken into your house and committing a felony. But, you just have to evaluate the threat and if the threat is neutralized you don't get to kill them. You just have to be clear headed and rational when using your firearm instead of scared and irrational.

The law is strong enough for personal protection but does not embolden what i call the yeeha yahoos from provoking confrontations so they can brandish their firearm or kill someone without consequences. You have to think and evaluate instead of reacting without thought or provoking a confrontation.
Yes the law says one thing but according to research this law has been interpreted many different ways. Like the man in little falls who had a jury decide his fate which ultimately landed him in prison for life because he shot two teenagers who repeatedly broke in. This law is not as cut and dry as people like to portray, unfortunately.

Here is the case I was referring to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_...Smith_killings

Last edited by Minntoaz; 10-21-2020 at 12:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul