Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 05:26 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,781,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
U.S. Bancorp
Ameriprise Financial
Xcel Energy
Thrivent Financial
Have heard from an insider xcel has definitely weighed their options on this. I wouldn’t hold my breath that all of these places will stay. May or may not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 05:29 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,781,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
What a ridiculous thread.

Minneapolis is the 3rd-densest major city between the coasts. No Fortune 500 companies are fleeing Minneapolis. In fact, Amazon has invested in new offices in the North Loop of Minneapolis. Minor companies like Taco John's have moved their corporate offices to Minneapolis. So has Winnebago. So has Jack Links.

"Not safe to live in Minneapolis anymore????" What a stupid statement. Yes, the city had violence as response for the murder of George Floyd. And that response involved about 1% of the city.

"Minneapolis is burning!" scream the right wing. Well, from my neighborhood in North Minneapolis, I don't see the embers. All I see is a right-wing propaganda campaign to de-stabilize peaceful neighborhoods by promulgating stupid conspiracy theories that we are on the verge of a civil war.
Not today. Nope. Have a good day.

Old 10-09-2020, 12:09 PM

6,615 posts, read 7,225,872 times
I was talking with two iron workers yesterday who are building the new tall condo complex near Washington and 35W next to Gold Medal Park. The two penthouses just sold within last week or two for $20m each. Ziggy Wilf bought one and maybe Target CEO the other.

Old 10-09-2020, 01:49 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,088,691 times
At one time, my guess is that Mogadishu was actually a nice place to live.
At one time.

Old 10-15-2020, 12:04 PM

853 posts, read 339,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrobat612 View Post
I live in Minneapolis. There's no way I'd live in the suburbs...I've done it (in a different metropolitan area) and I was never more miserable than I was in the 'burbs. Even in the pandemic, there has been a lot to do in the city. Yesterday I rode my bike down to Cedar-Riverside and had dinner with people I'd never met before at a fantastic Ethiopian restaurant.

I moved to this city because of the bicycle infrastructure, and bought my condo right on the new light rail extension because I want to use my car as little as possible. Living in the city has allowed me to do that. As long as I live in Minnesota, I'm staying in Minneapolis. Crime isn't even that bad here - when I was a young teenager in NYC in the early 90s you had to be a little careful. A little bit of street smarts goes a long way in MSP.
I also live in Minneapolis and have no intention of living anywhere else besides maybe St Paul. The most common thing I hear from people in the city isn't "I'm going to move" its "I hope other people move so my rent goes down and houses become affordable again". I think right wingers expecting the city to crash and burn are going to be disappointed.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:02 AM

455 posts, read 1,117,940 times
The mass exodus is coming once Covid gets under control. But yes, you are correct that many just don't get it and will stay. The amount of Biden yard signs, proves that. It is like witnessing a horrible abusive relationship. Sure, the city was pillaged and burned and now the criminals have control. Let's have more of that! But normal people are like GET ME THE F OUT OF HERE!

Also, people in this area like to convince themself that this area is the best place to live despite the brutal winters etc. A strange self-satisfied mentality. No, I didn't grow up here and am from another state. Can't wait til I can eventually leave.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:25 AM

542 posts, read 453,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
The mass exodus is coming once Covid gets under control. But yes, you are correct that many just don't get it and will stay. The amount of Biden yard signs, proves that. It is like witnessing a horrible abusive relationship. Sure, the city was pillaged and burned and now the criminals have control. Let's have more of that! But normal people are like GET ME THE F OUT OF HERE!

Also, people in this area like to convince themself that this area is the best place to live despite the brutal winters etc. A strange self-satisfied mentality. No, I didn't grow up here and am from another state. Can't wait til I can eventually leave.
What percent of people need to move for it to be considered a "mass exodus"? My personal definition would be around 30%-50% need to move for that to happen. I wouldn't be shocked to see 10%-20% move, but I see that as a consequence of job loss and inability to pay the rent or mortgage (because of our poorly planned national response from the president who continues to pump out misinformation about the virus). Not because the "criminals are in control". Will people move because they are frightened and scared about crime? A small percentage in my estimation. Time will tell who is right, but long term, I'm betting on Minneapolis.

There are many reasons that Minnesotans are proud of their state and like living here. From a statistical perspective, there are many positive aspects to living here and many reasons why Minnesota continues to rock the best places to live statistical mishmash that various sites produce (if this conversation continues we can go into more detail in those areas). So many of those you characterize as having a self-satisfied mentality have objective reasons for that mindset. Furthermore, Minnesota has a high stick factor that means multiple generations live here and feel through taxes and civic efforts, have built this state. Some transplants appreciate what we native Minnesotans have helped build and others don't.

The cold, for me and others, is a positive feature. The winter provides a new medium to appreciate and use, but some can't handle it. Winter camping, 4-wheeling, ice-fishing, sledding, snowmobiling, hunting, Skiing, and ice skating (I built a igloo out of ice with my kids using milk carton molds last year-so cool) are some of the activities people do here. With the technology in winter clothing, if you are cold, you are doing it wrong. On a side note, I do think our society doesn't handle a mild bit of discomfort well and at the slightest hint, retreats into the warmth.

The winters in the TC Metro are hardly brutal and actually a pretty tame in IMOP. If you lived in Winnipeg, you might have a point. The far north of Minnesota experience a harsher winter than we do but, still not that bad. The problem I'm having is why would you move here in the first place if can not handle the cold? Complaining about the brutal winter is like moving to Florida and whining about humidity. Seems to me, you're the one who doesn't get it.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 10-16-2020 at 10:42 AM..

Old 10-16-2020, 10:40 AM

455 posts, read 1,117,940 times
For the above poster with a 55346 zip code. An Eden Prairie or Chanhassen address gives zero insight in the reality of actually living in Minneapolis.

I moved here for work from another cold state.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:27 AM

542 posts, read 453,168 times
Quote:
For the above poster with a 55346 zip code. An Eden Prairie or Chanhassen address gives zero insight in the reality of actually living in Minneapolis.

I moved here for work from another cold state.
Considering I lived in Minneapolis in the 90s, when crime was at it's peak, I probably lived in a more dangerous city than you currently do and it didn't leave me being scared or frightened (look up the crime statistics in that era and they are much higher than now). I'm not a huge booster of the city and prefer the suburbs, but the level of bashing of Minneapolis currently is probably driven by this election.

what state did you move from? Regardless, it is not that difficult to look up weather statistics for the city and state. That is on you. Whining about the cold shows both a lack of knowledge about how to dress properly and failure to understand basic weather facts.

what percent of people living in Minneapolis is considered a mass exodus? Share your opinion with us.

The bashing of Minnesota and Minnesotans is unwarranted and unsupported by facts.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 10-16-2020 at 11:37 AM..

Old 10-16-2020, 11:48 AM

2,585 posts, read 2,088,130 times
Quote:

If you are not happy, make a move. Life is too short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul