Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 07:42 PM

5,746 posts, read 2,794,730 times

Advertisements

The market is the great leveler. If inventories increase prices will drop and as long as we have low rates people will fill them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 07:45 PM

82 posts, read 52,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
That was cited in the article I linked. Next time perhaps it would help to read the article linked from the original post before commenting on it?
So you cited an article. Big whoop, what are you looking for, a participation trophy?

Old 08-08-2020, 02:13 AM

3,976 posts, read 2,004,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I don’t anticipate a mass exodus of residents but I think we’re still in the first inning of the game. I would be more worried about CRE and falling demand for high end condos downtown short term. It takes a while to get almost any older home ready for the market. As you know, something always needs fixing or an upgrade.
I agree. It is early still.

Between Covid and the city allowing riots to rage for a week, and now the bumbling around with the status of police while crime rises brazenly, the jury is still out.

Unless the twin cities can find some adult management and leadership for the city/state, I do not see things improving.

Real estate prices will be a good indicator.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:55 PM

10 posts, read 11,265 times
how stupid does someone have to be to think there would be tangible stats on real estate exodus within a quarter? can't tell if op is flame bait or serious.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:07 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,427,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcity53 View Post
how stupid does someone have to be to think there would be tangible stats on real estate exodus within a quarter? can't tell if op is flame bait or serious.
Well, as a point of comparison there is data to show that an exodus happened in New York City:

Manhattan apartment deals plunge 57%, suburban real estate surges
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...te-surges.html

And there’s data to support that it happened in San Francisco:

The 2020 San Francisco exodus is real, and historic, report shows
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfg...c-15484785.php

Old 08-25-2020, 05:51 AM

6,611 posts, read 7,223,972 times
I follow real estate for a hobby, last year plus, ne Mpls there wasn’t much for sale of single family homes. This was all long before COVID and not winter. Now there are a lot more for sale when I looked a day ago. I understand the low rates are great, but people that love the area would refi, not move away.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:12 AM

202 posts, read 431,218 times
MPLS is at a tipping point right now. I know there are ALOT of leftist liberals holding on to the delusions right now. Watch what happens when Chauvin is acquitted, and Trump wins again. That coupled with the democratic draconian laws and leadership practices that have killed and destroyed so many now..the twin cities is on a path to destruction. In MPLS the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer exactly as planned. The peaceful regular middle class folks who dont want to live in a blighted social justice warzone will sell their homes and move out to the chanhassen, shakopee, edina etc. the woke will win mpls and it will be a whole chaz zone. the mob will turn on target which will move their headquarters out to like maple grove or something.

alll the condos that have been built up by the dozens the last 15 years werent made for those making less then 50k a year which happens to be the majority of people who fall under that tax bracket.

its too bad i loved MPLS and wanna move back for part time living but under the current climate and going forward it does not seem prudent.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:10 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,985,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcity53 View Post
The fact of the matter is, no one knows for sure what will happen. I agree that one quarter doesn’t prove anything either way. Minneapolis was in decline from the late 1950’s to the early 1990’s. If you polled people in 1957, how many would have predicted what would happened to population, crime levels, and schools in the city over the next 35 years? I’m guessing there were still some decent real estate quarters in the late 50’s as well. A turning point, or a worsening decline, are easier to see in hindsight than to predict going forward. The spike in crime in most major US cities is concerning. It was the decline in crime, some caused by harsh criminal penalties enacted in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s, that made many upper-middle class consider city living again for the first time in decades. Spikes in crime, especially if they seem sustained, may make many reconsider.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:35 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,750,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
The fact of the matter is, no one knows for sure what will happen. I agree that one quarter doesn’t prove anything either way. Minneapolis was in decline from the late 1950’s to the early 1990’s. If you polled people in 1957, how many would have predicted what would happened to population, crime levels, and schools in the city over the next 35 years? I’m guessing there were still some decent real estate quarters in the late 50’s as well. A turning point, or a worsening decline, are easier to see in hindsight than to predict going forward. The spike in crime in most major US cities is concerning. It was the decline in crime, some caused by harsh criminal penalties enacted in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s, that made many upper-middle class consider city living again for the first time in decades. Spikes in crime, especially if they seem sustained, may make many reconsider.
Actually, what hurt Minneapolis in the 1990s was the crack cocaine epidemic and associated gang warfare.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-efeae6ccff45/

Old 08-26-2020, 09:02 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,478,223 times
People aren't fleeing Minneapolis? Ha! What a joke. A woman I work with told me they're having trouble even finding listings to submit offers on in places like North Branch, Stacy and Pine City because homes are being snapped up so fast. Bidding wars going on and everything. Hmmmm...I wonder why that is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul