Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 12:56 PM

298 posts, read 751,077 times

Advertisements

There has been a lot of media coverage, both broadcast and print sources concerning Atlanta based AFC Enterprises, which is the parent company of "Popeye's Louisiana Kitchens" purchasing 14-Twin Cities locations of Louisville based Kentucky Fried Chicken from a KFC franchisee which had gone bankrupt.

Now I know that KFC's parent company "YUM Brands" headquartered in Louisville was filing lawsuits to block the sale, in court, of those 14 KFC franchises to AFC Enterprises and becomming Popeye's locations.

My question is at this juncture: If this sale survives all the court challenges and all legal hurdles have been met, which 14 Kentucky Fried Chicken locations will transfer ownership to Popeye's and which ones will remain KFC?

The new Popeye's locations will need to close for reconstruction, as they remodel the interior of each restaurant. The exterior's will need to be rebuilt as the red and white KFC facade will need to be taken down and the yellowish brown exterior associated with Popeye's will need to be constructed along with new signage to be added both to the building and along the road.

Will we see Chick-Fil-A open locations in the Twin Cities in addition to their existing ones in Terminal #1 at Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport, the Chick-Fil-A express locations inside Coffman Memorial Union on the University of Minnesota campus and Centennial Student Union at Minnesota State University- Mankato?

Church's Fried Chicken is still alive and well in the United States in spite of the Twin Cities locations closing in the early to mid 1980's. I remember the Church's location on West Broadway and Freemont Avenue N. across from the Brown Photo, picture developing facility, in North Minneapolis along with the location on W. Lake Street at Nicolet Avenue across from K Mart near the Minneapolis Millers' Nicollet Field baseball stadium in South Minneapolis. Another example of a chain restaurant which does very well nationally, but is unsuccessful in Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 01:08 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,532 times
Can't much speak on the KFC's but Chick-Fil-A was in early stages of opening MN locations (beyond the "express" locations at the airport, Coffman, and Mankato campus):

Chick-fil-A plans approved in two Twin Cities suburbs - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 PM

464 posts, read 803,390 times
There's also going to be a new Chick-Fil-A in Apple Valley, right off Cedar by the Cub Foods.

I know that there are some KFCs in the area that are already closed (the one by me in Eagan is), but I am not sure if they are the ones that AFC wants to buy.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:38 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
the KFC off 94 and white bear lake closed a couple weeks ago, showed up for lunch one day and the windows were all boarded up so i guess that'll be one of them?

Old 12-27-2012, 01:46 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Our KFC closed too. I didn't know that Popeye's was buying some though.

QuietBlue--where is the Chick-fil-a going exactly?

Old 12-27-2012, 01:49 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,928 times
I think Brooklyn Center will be changing to Popeyes. I believe that Chick-fil-a may also be going in there but I'm not certain if they've actually committed to that.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:50 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,874 times
Maple Grove and Coon Rapids are supposed to get Chick-Fil-A locations too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Business Journal

In Coon Rapids, Chick-Fil-A is proposing a 4,876-square-foot freestanding restaurant at 3590 River Rapids Drive, the current site of a Bennigan's restaurant. The existing building would be demolished to make room for Chick-Fil-A.

In Maple Grove, the company is proposing a 4,686-square-foot freestanding restaurant at 11820 N. Fountain Way, just north of the intersection of Interstate 94 and Hemlock Lane.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincitie....html?page=all
Chick-Fil-A is one of the fast food places that I miss after living in NC.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:54 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,874 times
The KFC locations that are switching to Popeyes are Hopkins, Inver Grove Heights, Richfield, Savage, Rosemount, Bloomington, two in Minneapolis, two in Brooklyn Park, and four in St. Paul.

They should all currently be closed.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:00 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
How long will the renovations take?

Old 12-27-2012, 02:09 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Is Popeye's any good? Will they have A & W Root Beer??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul