Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times

Advertisements

thankfully there has been no mention of nazis yet....ooops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM

117 posts, read 377,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
thankfully there has been no mention of nazis yet....ooops
LOL - that was needed here. Sorry but I just get a little upset when someone says something like some place has gone to crap but cannot defend the statement with any actual facts.

mod cut

Last edited by golfgal; 08-28-2012 at 05:32 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 08-27-2012, 07:38 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
Brooklyn Park is a big place; it's one of the largest suburbs (second largest, I think?) in the Twin Cities, and one of the biggest cities in the state. I know that crime has become an issue in some parts of Brooklyn Park. But again, it's a big place, so looking at the overall numbers presumably don't tell the whole story, at least for the purposes of someone considering living there. It's been years since I've since I've spent any real time in BP, but I would assume that some neighborhoods have a much higher crime rates than others.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:02 AM

308 posts, read 896,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
according to some criteria that probably has to do with something nice....

#3 Eden Prairie
#11 Woodbury
#14 Eagan
#19 Lakeville
#22 Maple Grove

Carmel, IN - Best Places to Live - Money Magazine

Maryland had 4 towns listed in the top 25, no other state had more than 2......
Fascinating! a few years ago Plymouth was #1 place to live and now it didn't even make it into the top 100? How can this be?

Old 08-28-2012, 11:25 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolafs69 View Post
Ok...if you don't like crime stats...lets look at High School test scores.
.... I'm sure if I pulled up per capita household income or % of residents with college degree....the stats for the Brooklyn's would look equally abysmal.
At the end of the day, I am passionate about MY child's test scores and I am not so worried about "averages". I am convinced that my two kids would have been just as smart in Brooklyn Park HS as compared to Eden Prairie HS. So I don't give a rats-rear-end about "averages" unless the teachers and schools are below average. Putting it another way, I'd be happy and excited to compare standardized scores with my kids versus yours. For whatever reason, you have an attitude. You assume you somehow have a better product because you look at "averages". But if your kids are not high performers, what does it matter?

Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,611 times
You hear people berating Brooklyn Park so often it begins to seem like common knowledge. But really it isn't so different from the other nearby suburbs.

My theory is it gets its bad rep because it has a major 24 hour Walmart which people from Minneapolis and other suburbs visit when they need that dvd at 2am or whatever, they see the waves of morbidly obese people on courtesy scooters and the loudmouth mother paying with food stamps with 5 kids in tow and judge the town based on its Walmart clientele.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:20 PM

51 posts, read 80,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
At the end of the day, I am passionate about MY child's test scores and I am not so worried about "averages". I am convinced that my two kids would have been just as smart in Brooklyn Park HS as compared to Eden Prairie HS. So I don't give a rats-rear-end about "averages" unless the teachers and schools are below average. Putting it another way, I'd be happy and excited to compare standardized scores with my kids versus yours. For whatever reason, you have an attitude. You assume you somehow have a better product because you look at "averages". But if your kids are not high performers, what does it matter?
Look, one of the previous commentors said he wanted facts to support why I think Brookly Park has "gone to crap." So I am providing stats. I provided high crime rate, but apparently thats not valid. And you don't seem to like using test scores as a basis to judge a city's school performance. So how about we try median household income, median home value, and % of residents with bachlors degree from city-data.

Brooklyn Park - $65,000 - $217,500 - 27.3%
Woodbury -$85,000 - $296,000 - 49.3%
Eden Prairie- $94,000 - $323,000 - 57.1%
Minnetonka -$80,000 - $317,000 - 51.6%

Ok - Are those facts good enough for you?

Old 08-28-2012, 01:53 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
Quote:
Look, one of the previous commentors said he wanted facts to support why I think Brookly Park has "gone to crap." So I am providing stats. I provided high crime rate, but apparently thats not valid. And you don't seem to like using test scores as a basis to judge a city's school performance. So how about we try median household income, median home value, and % of residents with bachlors degree from city-data.

I care about the probability of crime against me , how much my net worth is, how much I make, what level of education my family obtains. If I lived in Brooklyn Park on the golf course, I'd feel safe, have a high standard of living for my liking and hangout with people who have enough brains to be interesting. Yet you want to look at averages as some sort of test you live in a superior town.

I understand that not all areas of BP are ideal and I would also have no interest in living is part of the town. That being said, it sounds like you picked a great burb that is super safe with great schools. So how is that better than the guy who bought on the Edinburgh golf course. I'm asking for some 1st hand proof. You know... Tell us how your DD or DS is doing. I'd hope you are all superstars because of your wise decision to put them in this "highly educated" culture of Cottage Grove.

You do realize that the guys in Edina can snub their noses at you. And another arrogant person on Lake MTKA can snub their noses at them etc etc. In the end, the guy in the Hampton's can scoff at whoever they want. Meanwhile, I think all of these guys who are "snubbing" have themselves confused with someone who is important. Try being more humble. You live in Cottage Grove MN for God's sake. You are in no position to be arrogant.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 08-28-2012 at 02:52 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 07:53 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,044 times
Quote:

Brooklyn Park's crime rate isn't higher than other cities because the Brooklyn Park police are worse than other metro police officers

Brooklyn Park's school test scores are not worse than other cities because Brooklyn Park teachers care less or are less effective teachers

Brooklyn Park's median household income is not lower than other cities because the Brooklyn Park is holding people back

You say that Brooklyn Park has gone to **** but that is not a fair judgment.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 PM

51 posts, read 80,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I care about the probability of crime against me , how much my net worth is, how much I make, what level of education my family obtains. If I lived in Brooklyn Park on the golf course, I'd feel safe, have a high standard of living for my liking and hangout with people who have enough brains to be interesting. Yet you want to look at averages as some sort of test you live in a superior town.

I understand that not all areas of BP are ideal and I would also have no interest in living is part of the town. That being said, it sounds like you picked a great burb that is super safe with great schools. So how is that better than the guy who bought on the Edinburgh golf course. I'm asking for some 1st hand proof. You know... Tell us how your DD or DS is doing. I'd hope you are all superstars because of your wise decision to put them in this "highly educated" culture of Cottage Grove.

You do realize that the guys in Edina can snub their noses at you. And another arrogant person on Lake MTKA can snub their noses at them etc etc. In the end, the guy in the Hampton's can scoff at whoever they want. Meanwhile, I think all of these guys who are "snubbing" have themselves confused with someone who is important. Try being more humble. You live in Cottage Grove MN for God's sake. You are in no position to be arrogant.
For the record, I am building a new house in woodbury and will be moving there in November so my kid can attend schools with higher test scores.

I agree that you do have control over who you hang out with, but your other points are just not valid. You don't live in a bubble. No matter how smart your kids are, if you put them in a under performing school, there will be a negative impact. You can pretend crime doesn't happen to you, but eventually crime statistics of the city you live in will catch up with you no matter how safe you think you are. If you had a friend with a family moving to the twin cities, would you actually reccomend that he buy a house in BP over other twin cities suburbs? Other then the bad parts of Mpls and St. Paul and Brooklyn Center, I can't think any other location I would reccomend BP over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul