Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:15 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times

Advertisements

Another fascinating read about the apparent trend of poverty moving out into the suburbs, and it's implications.

Census reveals 'new poor' in many Twin Cities suburbs | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/local/103974398.html?page=1&c=y - broken link)

Quote:
The state also saw its rate of residents without health insurance increase from 8.4 percent in 2008 to 9.1 percent in 2009. Only Minnesota and Alaska showed statistically significant increases. (The results released Tuesday contradicted separate census data released earlier this month showing no change in Minnesota's uninsured rate.)

Changes in suburbia were a key reason for the increase. The uninsured rate actually declined slightly in Minneapolis but increased by significant margins in Washington and Dakota counties.

Suburban counties are "moving from a very prosperous kind of attitude to one of very great concern," Gillaspy said. "If you're living out there, even if you have a job, you're going to notice people around you who are losing their jobs or losing their homes."

Sleeping in cars

Advocates for the homeless said more suburban families are coming to urban homeless shelters. Families in Anoka found it so difficult to secure beds in downtown Minneapolis that area churches are now sheltering some of them. The street outreach coordinator for St. Stephen's Human Services in Minneapolis said she has responded to calls of homeless families living in cars in retail parking lots in Edina and Plymouth, and a woods in Minnetonka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 07:47 AM

143 posts, read 477,756 times
Interesting. I'm in my early 20s, and I have to say I was surprised to find out there are is a sizeable population in my area of kids in their early 20s living out of their cars... true story.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:17 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
I have just been waiting for you to post this as soon as I read this in the paper this morning . Considering the current economy this shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone. Keep in mind that the numbers are still FAR lower then they are in Minneapolis (as stated in the article). The fact that most people that have been out of work for a year or two in the suburbs held out this long on savings, etc. says a lot for the economic status before the markets crashed.

Just curious what YOUR economic status would be if you were out of work for 2 years....

Old 09-29-2010, 08:26 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I have just been waiting for you to post this as soon as I read this in the paper this morning . Considering the current economy this shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone. Keep in mind that the numbers are still FAR lower then they are in Minneapolis (as stated in the article). The fact that most people that have been out of work for a year or two in the suburbs held out this long on savings, etc. says a lot for the economic status before the markets crashed.

Just curious what YOUR economic status would be if you were out of work for 2 years....
What are you getting so defensive for? This is a city data forum. Is there any way this article could be less relevant to serve the purpose of this website? Please enlighten me, moderator. I don't see why posting this merits pseudo-personal attacks from you.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:32 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
I think one of the problems facing the Twin Cities is the unwillingness for some in the suburbs to face the facts, and to acknowledge that the clear-cut boundaries between "urban" and "suburban" has disappeared, and that "urban" problems are now part of the suburban landscape. To say "but look at the city!" doesn't solve anything. And, of course, both people in city and suburb have been hit by the recession. As the article noted, the cities have networks in place to deal with this, but many of the suburbs don't, at least not yet. Obviously that's going to need to change, and quickly. And I do think it's relevant -- I think that many of the impressions people on this board have are based on outdated data and beliefs, so articles like this really point out the drastically changed landscape out there now.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think one of the problems facing the Twin Cities is the unwillingness for some in the suburbs to face the facts, and to acknowledge that the clear-cut boundaries between "urban" and "suburban" has disappeared, and that "urban" problems are now part of the suburban landscape. To say "but look at the city!" doesn't solve anything. And, of course, both people in city and suburb have been hit by the recession. As the article noted, the cities have networks in place to deal with this, but many of the suburbs don't, at least not yet. Obviously that's going to need to change, and quickly. And I do think it's relevant -- I think that many of the impressions people on this board have are based on outdated data and beliefs, so articles like this really point out the drastically changed landscape out there now.
Really, and what would these networks be that are not existent in the suburbs?

Old 09-29-2010, 12:12 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,034 times
Quote:
Really, and what would these networks be that are not existent in the suburbs?
Uptown's likely referring to this reference in the article.

"Advocates for the homeless said more suburban families are coming to urban homeless shelters. Families in Anoka found it so difficult to secure beds in downtown Minneapolis that area churches are now sheltering some of them. The street outreach coordinator for St. Stephen's Human Services in Minneapolis said she has responded to calls of homeless families living in cars in retail parking lots in Edina and Plymouth, and a woods in Minnetonka."

This is one reason why we need Local Government Assistance from the state, as cities often end up as the repository of problems of the greater Metro Area

Old 09-29-2010, 12:45 PM

761 posts, read 3,415,234 times
Quote:

???? ????

Why do you get so worked up about anything about the suburbs? It was an article in the newspaper, it's not like Slig made it up or something.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsky1 View Post
???? ????

Why do you get so worked up about anything about the suburbs? It was an article in the newspaper, it's not like Slig made it up or something.
Because Slig relishes in bashing the burbs any chance he gets and it gets really old--especially for things like this that really isn't "news" given the state of the economy.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:39 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,457 times
Quote:
Because Slig relishes in bashing the burbs any chance he gets and it gets really old--especially for things like this that really isn't "news" given the state of the economy.
The increasing poor population is not all a result of the economic downturn. If you use an indicator like homeless population you can see that it has been on the rise since the 1980's, even during a huge economic boom in the 1990's.

MN Homeless population

Wilder Report - http://bit.ly/aRlr7W
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul