Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 11:22 AM

219 posts, read 893,533 times

Advertisements

We are increasingly worried about making a planned move to Minneapolis. I have read so many negative comments about aloof/standoffish people and the difficulty meeting friends, and have heard that repeated by personal acquaintances, especially when we will be moving right at the cusp of winter when people are indoors more. We are also worried about the culture of Edina, where we hope to live, as the people are characterized as unfriendly and overly status conscious.

Am I reading too much into people's comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 11:49 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Yes, you are. Everyone has their own unique experience, but those with a negative experience are more likely to vent on an internet forum.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:57 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I think you're reading too much into things. Or, rather, it's going to really depend on individual circumstances.

For what it's worth, I've met very nice people who live in Edina. Granted, some of them go out of their way to describe themselves as "not the Edina type!" but the point remains, they live in Edina. According to my Edina sources, there ARE some "Edina types" (supposedly the people who were born and raised in Edina, live there still, and are really obnoxious about it) but there are also tons of normal people, too. Ignore the people who are annoying, focus on the people who are nice.

Even though it will be winter there will still be opportunities to get involved and meet people. With luck, people at your work will be nice, and that's an easy place to start. It IS tougher to meet neighbors in the winter, but that will also vary by location; some blocks have holiday parties, etc., making it easy to meet everyone all at once. Take some classes at Southwest Community Education (at Southwest High School in Minneapolis, but it's literally within walking distance from Edina) or Edina Community Education. Not sure about Edina Community Ed, but SWCE also offers weekend trips -- a great way to explore MN while meeting some really nice people in the process. Go to library events. Go to city meeting. See if your neighborhood has a neighborhood organization, and if they do, go to the meetings. Invite people over for hot chocolate.

Not in Edina, but near: Woodlake Nature Center in Richfield is fabulous. They have tons of events (very affordable, too) and really nice members, volunteers, and staff. You can rent cross-country skis there, too. The Linden Hills Co-op is right on the Edina/Mpls/SLP border, and offers lots of events and classes; that could be a good way to meet people. If you're religious, join a church/temple/mosque/etc..

Join some meetup groups, volunteer, be proactive. Don't expect immediate best friends, but if you take the initiative you should be just fine. Keep in mind that about half of the residents in Minneapolis (not sure about Edina) are not from this state originally -- that should reassure you a bit that you're certainly not the only people around who will be starting fresh and forging new friendship circles. Just give it time, and don't get discouraged. There are a lot of opportunities to meet people, and a lot of people are, or have been, in your shoes.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:58 AM

Got it, but still worried for two reasons:

1. I've heard similar comments in person from 2 of 2 people I've known who lived in Minneapolis

2. Some of the comments online (especially about Edina) are from people who are otherwise pretty positive about Minneapolis

Old 09-04-2012, 12:02 PM

Uptown -- my previous post refers to Glenfield, not your post. Thanks for the uplifting comments!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:30 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
In my particular neck of the metro (not anywhere near Edina) I've found it a little difficult to make friends, for 3 basic reasons:

1) Many locals - Many of the people I do meet grew up in the area and are often busy with family. They aren't at all stand-off-ish or clique-y, they are just busy.

2) Not the best fit - My wife and I like to bike, run, hike, and other outdoors stuff, while on a nice day my neighbors are more likely to be out riding their motorcycles, fixing their cars, or things like that. Also, they tend to have very different jobs and careers than we do, so its a little harder finding common ground to start conversations.

3) Schedules - Between my wife's rather sporadic work schedule and our 18-month-old daughter, its hard to join any of the clubs or organizations that I would normally use to meet people.

None of this is meant to scare you off of Minneapolis, as I've met great people here, but it might give you some food for thought when choosing where to live.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:32 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
Also, I have a coworker who uses U_U's "I live in Edina, but I'm not like normal Edina" description and she is hilarious. Certainly one of my favorite people to hang around at work!

On a side note: If you find that Edina's culture is not for you, then just don't live there. There are lots of good places to live in the MSP metro!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:48 PM

36 posts, read 84,868 times
If you are worried about Edina, why do you think you want to live there? Just curious. Edina seems like a nice enough place. I have heard there are some neighborhoods that are a bit hoity toity, but that others are not that way. I don't really know, being new to the area myself, that is what I heard from someone who lives there. Anyway, I know at least a couple of very nice people who live in Edina. Haven't met any of the hoity toity ones yet. We looked there for a house, but landed in Linden Hills instead. If our offer hadn't been accepted on the Linden Hills house, there is a good chance we would be living Edina now. I don't know if I'll make good friends here yet -- time will tell -- but the people in this neighborhood have been very welcoming. We are close enough to Edina that I go there to grocery shop and bank/post office and Starbucks. So far the people seem pretty down to earth. Good luck with your move! I have to say, that at least in this neighborhood close to the lakes, people love their bicycles. I'm very impressed as I see lots of families biking to and from the lakes. I think I need to get the bike out and get out there myself now! -- as soon as I finish unpacking a few more boxes . . .

Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,359 times
Its largely luck. There are uncountable neighborhoods you could end up living in, each being unique with unique people living there, and then factor in the random events that bring two particular neighbors together. I have went years without getting to know anyone in a neighborhood, after my most recent move however the first few weeks was practically an unending stream of people coming over to introduce themselves and welcome us to the street. The worst experience I have had though was not in Minnesota but in San Francisco when I was barely sure people even LIVED in the houses around me. I would have thought no if not for the occasional chimney smoke on cold nights or every now and then catching the glimpse of cars entering or exiting a garage in the corner of my eye.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:00 PM

191 posts, read 380,357 times
nah you good Edina is pretty chill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul