Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:20 PM

7 posts, read 8,170 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to Minneapolis from Milwaukee in the next year and am looking to get a little information before making the decision.

I attended the U of MN-TC for my first 2 years of college before transferring to Madison so I still have some people I know up in the area. I am asking them for some ideas as well but was looking to other outside information.

I have lived in either Milwaukee/Madison my entire life aside from those 2 years and am looking for a change.

Where are some of the better places for a mid 20's single male to live in/around the city? Pros/cons to living in Mpls?

Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:32 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
Uptown sounds like it'd be great for you. Minneapolis is better then Milwaukee, but Milwaukee is closer to Chicago
Minneapolis and Chicago=My 2 favorite Midwest cities.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:37 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
What kind of neighborhood do you like prefer? What kind of housing? Any idea of budget?

My preferred choice of neighborhood is also Uptown. It's very walkable (everything you need is within walking distance), has a lot of restaurants, is convenient to downtown and a lot of other places, has easy access to Lake Calhoun and Lake of the Isles, and has a range of housing types. There are lots of peole your age living there, but there are certainly many other interesting options, too, depending on what you like in a neighborhood, what you can afford, and where you'll be working. Whittier, Northeast, Loring Park, other downtown areas, etc., are also popular choices with the younger working crowd, assuming you're interested in the city itself.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the responses. Uptown is probably the place I would look, I already have 2 or 3 friends who live in the area/near Lake Calhoun-which is beautiful.

As far as housing right now I am not sure: probably looking at an apartment for the first 6 months. I am very interested in real estate however and might have some money at my disposable to buy a fixer upper to work on while living in an apartment.

I also would be looking to find a job up there which I know is not ideal but I am tired of where I am now and need a change.

*FYI I do have a dog as well, which plays a role on where I can live.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorefreshing12 View Post
*FYI I do have a dog as well, which plays a role on where I can live.
Uptown and dogs should go well together.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:27 PM

Any other suggestions by anyone of things to look for, beware of, make sure to experience?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:42 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Richfield! JK, that is totally a joke, Richfield is fine! Check out Minnehaha Falls, a hidden gem that you never find IN THE CITY anywhere in America. Try a Matt's or 5-8 club "Jucy Lucy", they are locally famous burgers with cheese on the INSIDE. Try to check out the new Target Field and the Twins. If you like to hit the bottle (or bottles) and party go to 1st Ave or Hennipen Ave in the Warehouse District. It can be absolutely hopping on the weekends and rivals anything I've ever seen in this country at least!

Good luck, and welcome!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:57 AM

Richfield is fine, and ya be sure to check out Minnehaha falls

Old 08-10-2010, 03:09 PM

143 posts, read 477,782 times
Uptown is fun to visit, but IMO it's filled with a lot of yuppies and snobs, and is rather expensive for what you get. Getting in-and-out of Uptown is a nightmare, so expect to add at least 20 minutes to your commute time just to get to a freeway.

Having gone to the U myself, I recommend the Marcy-Holmes or Como neighborhoods for U students. It is within walking distance to campus, close to 35W for quick transit to the rest of the Twin Cities, and a variety of living options. Plus, if you're looking for a fixer-upper, you can live close to that too! Win-win.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:29 AM

256 posts, read 586,060 times
Uptown is good if you want to take the bus. If you have your own parking space, Uptown's not a problem. Coming through Uptown from the west can be a problem, as three major roads converge on Lake street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul