Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 11:05 AM

18,449 posts, read 8,282,661 times

Advertisements

Miami Beach mayor calls for Spring Break BAN

”The mayor of Miami Beach wants to cancel Spring Break as footage emerged of the moment a man was shot dead on a sidewalk during another wild weekend of partying.”

'We haven’t asked for spring break in our city. We don’t want spring break in our city. It’s too rowdy, brings too much disorder and is simply too difficult to police,' said Democratic mayor Dan Gelber. ”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...k-emerges.html

I guess Overtown, Liberty City, and Allapattah will have to find somewhere else to party.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 04:12 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

”The mayor of Miami Beach wants to cancel Spring Break as footage emerged of the moment a man was shot dead on a sidewalk during another wild weekend of partying.”

'We haven’t asked for spring break in our city. We don’t want spring break in our city. It’s too rowdy, brings too much disorder and is simply too difficult to police,' said Democratic mayor Dan Gelber. ”

I guess Overtown, Liberty City, and Allapattah will have to find somewhere else to party.....
Let's see if South Beach follows through on their frustration. They have the ability to stop this problem. I am sure there are ways to prevent South Beach from being overrun in the future. Hopefully, the community takes the steps to prevent this problem in the future.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:31 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,733,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
One of them was committed by a local.... most people arrested are also locals....
Yeah, was wondering how college kids would get on a plane with a gun.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:53 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,661,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Yeah, was wondering how college kids would get on a plane with a gun.
The guy murdered Friday night was a student from South Georgia State College... shooter was from South Florida.

It's clear a random person was targeted, not the first time either. Miami is not safe for tourists.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:09 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
The guy murdered Friday night was a student from South Georgia State College... shooter was from South Florida.

It's clear a random person was targeted, not the first time either. Miami is not safe for tourists.
That’s a bit of an exaggeration. Not as though random tourists don’t get shot in NY, Chicago, LA, etc—including tourist zones. We’re talking about a tiny sliver of Miami Dade (Ocean Dr), which has been well publicized in recent years as a trouble area and 2 tourists out of how many visitors?—not as though many visitors to the World Baseball Classic, Carnaval, Art Basel, Miami Open, Boat Shows, etc are getting shot or held up at gunpoint at those locales and others. Troubles most often happen in that section of SoBe during Spring Break and Urban Weekend at the end of May.

Wynwood is not an area I go to at night either but most of the problems has been in a specific area of Miami Beach during specific periods of the year. If you meant to say (portion of) South Beach rather than all of Miami, that’s different.

Should I cancel tonight’s departure to Rio because a tourist was targeted and got mugged late at night in Copacabana? I scheduled it for this time to avoid the spring breakers coming in for Ultra…lol.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-21-2023 at 10:03 AM..

Old 03-21-2023, 09:14 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interman90 View Post
Thank you.

Well in this case i think i rather wait until may. +/- 1 week doesn't really matter and so i'm 100% sure, right?
You might get better hotel rates if you wait till May as it will be close to or at the end of season by this time.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:19 AM

65 posts, read 44,368 times
All I see, at least on television is a very high number of blacks, but I guess the population is about 15% ? Are most of these folks on Spring Break from colleges? I mean, Spring Break means get away from the rigors of exams, etc, or is it just open season for street partiers or thugs from Miami AND out of state?? Awful @OP, I would think late April might be quieter, but I wouldn't mess with Sobe- not these days

Old 03-21-2023, 09:27 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
That’s a bit of an exaggeration. Not as though random tourists don’t get shot in NY, Chicago, LA, etc—including tourist zones. We’re talking about a tiny sliver of Miami Dade (Ocean Dr), which has been well publicized in recent years as a trouble area and 2 tourists out of how many visitors?—not as though visitors to the World Baseball Classic, Carnaval, Art Basel, Miami Open, Boat Shows, etc are getting shot or held up at gunpoint at those locales and others. Troubles most often happen in that section of SoBe during Spring Break and Urban Weekend at the end of May.

Wynwood is not an area I go to at night but most of the problems has been in a specific area of Miami Beach during specific periods of the year. If you meant to say (portion of) South Beach rather than all of Miami, that’s different.

Should I cancel tonight’s departure to Rio because a tourist was targeted and got mugged late at night in Copacabana? I scheduled it for this time to avoid the spring breakers coming in for Ultra…lol.
Yes, cancel your trip. Obviously unsafe. I am going to cancel my trip to see my team in Toronto. Clearly unsafe as well. https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ken-lee-i...onto-1.6224355

NY even more dangerous.

https://pagesix.com/2023/03/20/fan-p...247.1560788235

Old 03-21-2023, 09:34 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

This should have been done years ago. I couldn't imagine being an owner and having to LEAVE my home every year due to this crap. The residents need to sue the city over this. Imagine owning a multi million dollar condo in SoBe and you have to leave it every year

Old 03-21-2023, 10:11 AM

398 posts, read 382,596 times
It’s very bizarre the same group of people are behind these senseless, tragic shootings every spring break and urban beach week in Miami Beach yet half the country continues to bury their heads in the sand.

There was also this act of evil from 2 years ago and the father who was randomly murdered on Ocean Drive:

https://nypost.com/2021/03/22/spring...ater-died/amp/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami