Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:12 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,867,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k060 View Post
that area is by Tower Theater and El Pub, by the way. I still haven't been to East Little Havana (only West, where I wouldn't dare live), but I've heard about it all

are you sure your not mixing up east and west? cause west is very nice. most homes are kept up.

east on the other hand, closer to allapattah ,downtown,and overtown, not to mention the buildings are unkept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 10:55 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k060 View Post
What do you think about the East Little Havana area? I see an apartment online that looks really nice and it's near sw 8th st and 16ave. I Google mapped it and did some browsing around the area and overall it looks fine to me. It looks nothing like, say 8th and lejeune. How do you all think safety is in the area I mentioned? I'm a grad student and I'd be living alone, but I'm fluent in Spanish and most people assume me to be Dominican, so I wouldn't be obviously out of place in that way
When you say 8th and 16th Ave. looks nothing like 8th and Le Jeune, what do you mean? 8th and Le Jeune is actually considered to be a better area than the heart of Little Havana. With that said, the strip of Calle Ocho right around El Pub, the Tower Theater, and Casa Panza is pretty nice. Lots of old-time Cubans go to shop there, eat dinner there at night, and lots of tourists visit to see what used to be the most Cuban area around. The demographics have changed quite a bit, but there still are lots of Cubans around there, especially to the south of Calle Ocho. It's a working-class neighborhood that is fairly safe; I think the most major crimes that happen around there regularly are car break-ins, but if you lock your doors, don't keep valuables in plain sight, and use "the Club" on your steering wheel, I doubt anyone will mess with your car.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:42 AM

66 posts, read 91,796 times
K060

I lived in an apartment on 4th st and 17th Ave, and also on a tenement building on 6th st and 16th Ave. Yes, most crimes in the area are car break-ins to steal your battery. I have friends living in the area during the last 45 years. When I lived there, it was 100 percent Cuban, but now there are also Central Americans.

If you plan to live in that area while studying, the only concern you'll have is noise, but there are modern apartments now. Some old tenements can be like living in a Havana "solar", but people are mostly nice.

As an student, you'll have an easy access to Calle Ocho and you will be able to walk everywhere, cheap restaurants, supermarkets, bars, and if you're studying at FIU, you can take a bus there. There's a bus that goes through 6th st. that drops you in FIU.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:13 PM

9 posts, read 94,717 times
west atlantic blvd. pompano beach is pretty bad.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:26 PM

Top 5 Broward County most dangerous cities are:

1. Pompano Beach

2. Fort Lauderdale

3. Deerfield Beach

4. Lauderdale Lakes

5. Lauderhill

Old 01-12-2010, 02:31 PM

Top 4 most dangerous Miami-Dade county cities are:

1. Miami Gardens

2. Miami (Liberty city,Little Haiti)

3. Opa-locka

4. North Miami

Old 01-14-2010, 02:50 PM

49 posts, read 172,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broward 954 View Post

1. Miami Gardens

3. Opa-locka

4. North Miami
The most dangerous cities in dade are the smaller ones if you're talking per capita. It should be more like:
1. Opa-Locka
2.Goulds
3.Florida city
4.Miami

Old 01-14-2010, 03:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broward 954 View Post

1. Miami Gardens

3. Opa-locka

4. North Miami
This is way off, #1 should be Opa Locka, #2 should be Miami, #3 should be those crappy areas in South Dade along US1, and Miami Gardens should be #4. Also, Bunche Park and Carol City are the bad parts of Miami Gardens, the rest IMO (basically anything north of the Palmetto and east of 27th Ave) is fine, mostly working class and even pretty nice in some parts (Andover). The Broward list is also a little off, Deerfield shouldn't even be on the list and Pembroke Park should replace it. I might also replace Lauderdale Lakes with Dania Beach. Lauderdale Lakes has some sketchy areas near 31st Ave, but further west are mainly clean, "black middle class" areas where people are just living their lives without shooting each other, and I would say pretty much every non-rental, single family home area is like this. You could acutally argue the same for Lauderhill away from 56th Ave.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 01-14-2010 at 03:26 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 09:56 PM

71 posts, read 297,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
This is way off, #1 should be Opa Locka, #2 should be Miami, #3 should be those crappy areas in South Dade along US1, and Miami Gardens should be #4. Also, Bunche Park and Carol City are the bad parts of Miami Gardens, the rest IMO (basically anything north of the Palmetto and east of 27th Ave) is fine, mostly working class and even pretty nice in some parts (Andover). The Broward list is also a little off, Deerfield shouldn't even be on the list and Pembroke Park should replace it. I might also replace Lauderdale Lakes with Dania Beach. Lauderdale Lakes has some sketchy areas near 31st Ave, but further west are mainly clean, "black middle class" areas where people are just living their lives without shooting each other, and I would say pretty much every non-rental, single family home area is like this. You could acutally argue the same for Lauderhill away from 56th Ave.
I agree with you about Miami Gardens. What's interesting is that when they were discussions about incorporating, many on the east side residents (including my parents) were terribly concerned about the annexation of Carol City and Lake Lucerne because of the high crime levels. When property values were climbing back 2005 - 2007, a lot of the "bad elements" began leaving and "normal" middle-class families started moving in, that's one of the reasons the shopping plaza with the Chase Bank and Denny's was doing so well. However, now, with the economic downturn, I'm sure that the mini-gentrification has stalled or, at least, slowed down. But, east Miami Gardens, i.e.: Andover and parts of Norland continue to enjoy rather low crime rates, and the housing crisis hasn't affected these neighborhoods too badly when compared with the western neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami