Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:49 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs08 View Post
Quite a long list...

Care to defend these choices?

Hialeah
Downtown Miami
Little Havana
Westchester
Sweet Water
I just wouldn't feel safe walking alone at night in any of these places. Each one of us has a comfort zone that they feel safe, and those places to me are not safe to walk alone at night.

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-29-2009 at 09:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 10:26 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
The following is in my opinion and only my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Personal these areas I wouldn't walk at night alone:

Most of the NW section of Miami-Dade- Since you already covered Miami Gardens, disagree because anything west of 57th and north of the Palmetto is pretty nice
Miami Gardens- west of 27th and south of Palmetto. Norland and Lake Lucerne aren't bad and Andover is pretty nice.
Hialeah- IMO the trouble is if you seek it
Downtown Miami- Agree
Overtown- Agree
Florida City- Agree
Homestead- West of US1
Goulds- Agree
Naranja- Agree
West Coconut Grove- Agree
Little Havana- See Hialeah
Little Haiti- Agree
Brownsville- Agree
Opa Locka- Agree
Parts of Cutler Bay- Agree
El Portal- No way.
Westchester- No way.
Sweet Water- See Hialeah
Places I would add to the list- much of North Miami/North Miami Beach although not all of it.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 10-29-2009 at 10:34 PM..

Old 10-30-2009, 11:03 AM

261 posts, read 704,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
The following is in my opinion and only my opinion

Places I would add to the list- much of North Miami/North Miami Beach although not all of it.
I guess you're right...everyone has their own comfort level. I'm a 26 year old white male and I speak conversational Spanish with such a good accent you wouldn't know I wasn't Cuban or Venezuela (whichever accent I pick)

Downtown is safe in certain areas...the closer to Miami-Dade College campus the better, they keep tons of cops around there and Bayside because of students and tourists

I'm VERY confused about your selection of Westchester...I'd feel as safe there as I do in Kendall

Old 10-30-2009, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 10,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiChris View Post
i dont understand why people are so scared to walk there at night just the fact that theres someone walking in their neighborhood doesnt mean that theyre going to kill you for no reason or even rob you if you dont have anything unless your trying to get noticed but thats why i always carry ma glock-40
And I don't understand how North Miami Beach is considered dangerous to walk around in at any hour of the day. It is a regular middle-class neighborhood. Moderator cut: Please us PM

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-30-2009 at 04:48 PM..

Old 10-30-2009, 05:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
I'm VERY confused about your selection of Westchester...I'd feel as safe there as I do in Kendall
No way= no way is it dangerous! If anything I would feel safer in Westchester than west Kendall!

Old 11-10-2009, 11:14 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Ok then...

The only places I wouldn't visit are places known as drug spots, like some streets in Overtown close to North River Drive, some streets in Goulds(216 west of US1) and the Opa Locka triangle.

The rest, I can deal with them during daylight.
What about Liberty City, Miami Gardens, Little Haiti, parts of North Miami, and West Perrine?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:48 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
What about Liberty City, Miami Gardens, Little Haiti, parts of North Miami, and West Perrine?
During daylight I have gone to all those places except for Liberty City(I only drove there once) I do drive with care, only because I'm not as comfortable but I'm sure if I went there more often I would feel safer. I know it's stupid but I have seen people being arrested twice in West Homestead, I see crime reports there all the time in the news, and that place still doesn't make me nervous at all because I go there almost every week. Sometimes is the fear of the unknown that makes it worse.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:20 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
There are more areas that I think I would be afraid to get robbed in, as opposed to being murdered.

Some areas deep in Perrine, 27th/22nd Avenue Corridor in Opa-Locka/Bunche Park, Overtown, Pork n' Beans area of Liberty City, Little Haiti, Little River, some parts of North Miami Beach...

Check out this site and type in an address to see how many red flags (homicides) pop up. I think the records go back 3 years...

Miami-Dade Medical Examiner Records | MiamiHerald.com's Data Sleuth
Are there any maps on that site?

Old 11-11-2009, 09:18 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Downtown Miami- it depends which part. Brickell is very safe. Downtown along US1 is relatively safe. Downtown west of US1 starts getting very sketchy very quickly.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:32 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Everywhere in South FL is dangerous to a certain degree, even the nicer areas. That said, I am comfortable walking in most places including Miami/Dade. And I am white.

The areas I would absolutely not be caught dead in walking alone at night are:

Dade:
-Opa-Locka- By far the worst neighborhood in South FL, specifically the NW 27th Avenue corridor around Ali-Baba and the railroad tracks. There are neighborhoods there that look like scenes from the movie "Escape from New York". Entire neighborhoods with windows busted out, graphitti on buildings, and gangs roaming the streets. This is where they shoot at the police from buildingtops.
-The Triangle just east of Opa-Locka where 95, the Turnpike, and the Palmetto merge
-Miami Gardens/Carol City
-Little Haiti
-Overtown
-Brownsville area from the Airport Expressway northwards along 441 corridor and MLK area
-most of the Northwestern quadrant of Miami; although Hialeah isn't too bad and Miami Lakes is nice

Broward:
-Sistrunk- worst neighborhood in broward
-most of Fort Lauderdale between the FL Turnpike and US1, from Oakland Park down to Broward Blvd.
-some parts of Lauderhill and Lauderdale Lakes; although this area isn't as bad as ppl make it seem.
-Pompano Beach (west of US1)
-much of East Hollywood from US1 west to 95

By the way, whoever says Plantation is an idiot. Plantation might be the nicest suburb in Broward aside from Weston and Parkland.

I agree with your list and I think you have all of the bases covered ... that said there is no reason to go into these neighborhoods and you can avoid them relatively easy ... although I would not walk in the western parts of Coconut Grove at night .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami