Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:50 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,109,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtTzaddikim View Post
each other either . . . maybe it's a Castillian thing, I don't know
this is true, colombians from the INTERIOR are much more reserved though they open up somewhat when the come to miami. not all hispanics are touchy but the ones that aren't generally change once they get to miami. Argentines seem to be the ones that are the most touchy feely with them doing doubles kisses even among men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 03:58 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,201,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
this is true, colombians from the INTERIOR are much more reserved though they open up somewhat when the come to miami. not all hispanics are touchy but the ones that aren't generally change once they get to miami. Argentines seem to be the ones that are the most touchy feely with them doing doubles kisses even among men.
PPl from the Andes in general are quiet and reserved people.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:07 PM

408 posts, read 607,732 times
In Quebec, men and women (or women and women) who are well-acquainted do double-cheek kisses and/or hugs when they meet-up and again when they say goodbye. Male acquaintances will opt for a handshake and perhaps a tap on the shoulder to emphasize appreciation. Male friends will go with a more friendly variety of the handshake (like two arms locked in arm-wrestling position) and if it's been awhile and if they've had a great time they will hug.

I find it sad that in the US two men hugging is often perceived as having a homoerotic connotation, or in the very least being very eccentric. Seeing two best friends shake hands after not seeing each other for awhile just seems so frigid to me.

All this to say I don't think it is so much ''hispanic culture'' that dictates touchiness as it is American culture that keeps it at bay. Probably something to do with the US' puritanical tradition. The hugging and kisses definitely is a staple of the LATIN culture (Italy, Spain, France, Portugal, etc) which is why people may be associating it to hispanic customs. But today, even Northern Europeans are far more likely to kiss n' hug than Americans. Russian and east Asian countries seem more aligned with America in this regard.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:27 PM

97 posts, read 141,046 times
Quote:
yes it is. it's about miami's hispanic customs vs non hispanic customs that are prevalent in the rest of the country.
It's not about anything Miami, it's simply a Latin American customs VS non Latin Americans customs.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,901,478 times
It is a cultural thing that happens frequently in Miami as it also does in other parts of the world. Miami is more Latin American than non.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:05 AM

104 posts, read 264,087 times
Hugging? Only very dear friends do it in a Hispanic setting, or people in a familiar setting.
But say, two guys that don't know each other do not embrace each other.
Maybe you are confusing Hispanics with Russians..

Old 10-11-2013, 02:19 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,833,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
In Quebec, men and women (or women and women) who are well-acquainted do double-cheek kisses and/or hugs when they meet-up and again when they say goodbye. Male acquaintances will opt for a handshake and perhaps a tap on the shoulder to emphasize appreciation. Male friends will go with a more friendly variety of the handshake (like two arms locked in arm-wrestling position) and if it's been awhile and if they've had a great time they will hug.

I find it sad that in the US two men hugging is often perceived as having a homoerotic connotation, or in the very least being very eccentric. Seeing two best friends shake hands after not seeing each other for awhile just seems so frigid to me.

All this to say I don't think it is so much ''hispanic culture'' that dictates touchiness as it is American culture that keeps it at bay. Probably something to do with the US' puritanical tradition. The hugging and kisses definitely is a staple of the LATIN culture (Italy, Spain, France, Portugal, etc) which is why people may be associating it to hispanic customs. But today, even Northern Europeans are far more likely to kiss n' hug than Americans. Russian and east Asian countries seem more aligned with America in this regard.

Russians? Russians are quite likely to kiss

Old 10-13-2013, 02:53 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
As you could imagine this thread is about my letting out my frustration at Americans who are shocked/offended when instead of offering my hand to shake, in the case of girl I kiss them on the cheek and with guys I give them a Hug.I mean we live in Miami this is not the North where I could understand they would consider it fresh(I got slapped by a white girl in gainsville on my first time there), but here if Miami they should be used to it by now. Non Hispanic and Hispanic americans alike please comment.
First of all, it is not manly to hug as far as I am concerned. The only men that can hug me are my Father or son. If I had a brother, I guess that might be ok on rare occasions.

Sure there are some cultures where men kissing on the cheek is the norm(French), and even on the lips elsewhere. However a good strong handshake is about as American as you can get.
If you ever have any doubts about the classic American male image of how to act, look no further than John Wayne.

I have had guys try to use the handshake as a means of coming in for a hug, but I keep my arm stiff and my grip firm to prevent this. I don't need men getting close enough to hug and pat each other on the back. To the best of my knowledge this recent phenomenon in our society is from the black culture where they do a soul shake, do a kind of chest bump/hug, pat each other on the back, then separate and let go of the hand. One need look no further than many of todays athletes to see this done on a regular basis.

BTW - For more scientific info on closeness between cultures, there have been some studies done. I might be a little off, but as I recall Germans had the largest personal space perimeter to feel comfortable, and Brazilians(or some other Latin culture) had the least.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:23 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
Um, I'm not sorry to say this, but I do not want some guy hugging me as a greeting.. I dont care if we're in Miami or not. It doesn't matter. Also, I'd prefer I didnt have to kiss someone everytime I greeted them... what if they're sick? Or I'm sick? I just dont feel the need for that type of personal closeness when greeting someone. ...

Now, if they're close friends or family of course I hug and kiss on a greeting, but for acquaintences or casual greetings. I'm not hugging or kissing anyone. That's not cool.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:48 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
A lot of how someone greets someone is the way they were raised, what they are accustomed too. If you grow up in a place that has the custom of air kissing or hugging people as a greeting, it is only natural to you. When I was in Europe last year, people do the double air kiss, that I had to get used too quickly. If you didn't grow up with it, I can see how it can be uncomfortable for them. Traditionally the first time I meet someone or certain work situations I don't hug people. Now after the first meeting I may hug and air kiss them, I leave it up to the other person and how comfortable they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami