Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:31 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,201,590 times

Advertisements

yes, double cheek kiss is a latin yuropean thing. In LATAMAmerica only South Americans use the double cheek kiss, and Argentinians are the ones who do that the most, even between men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 11:43 AM

529 posts, read 1,146,001 times
It's awkward when meeting someone (women) for the first time and kissing on the cheek.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 PM

130 posts, read 111,854 times
Im hispanic and I like/ prefer the american way of hand shakes but i guess we hispanics feel that if you try to shake the hand with a person here (South america) you are putting a barrier/distance

Old 04-21-2013, 06:54 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,109,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari1969 View Post
Im hispanic and I like/ prefer the american way of hand shakes but i guess we hispanics feel that if you try to shake the hand with a person here (South america) you are putting a barrier/distance
yes I get insulted when my uncles give me handshakes instead of hugs but I must say I find it the funnest thing when my cousins come down from Virginia for the holidays and put out there hands to shake to friend of the family and they wind up in a hug and the look on there face is of complete and total shock and says why are you touching me we shouldn't be touching.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:58 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
So we've learned that different cultures have different greeting protocols and one should be aware of them.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,201,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
yes I get insulted when my uncles give me handshakes instead of hugs but I must say I find it the funnest thing when my cousins come down from Virginia for the holidays and put out there hands to shake to friend of the family and they wind up in a hug and the look on there face is of complete and total shock and says why are you touching me we shouldn't be touching.
You are the first person I've ever seen who complains for not getting touched by his uncle.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:52 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,188,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
You are the first person I've ever seen who complains for not getting touched by his uncle.
OK, now that's just too funny right there, I don't care who y'are.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:04 PM

767 posts, read 1,744,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
As you could imagine this thread is about my letting out my frustration at Americans who are shocked/offended when instead of offering my hand to shake, in the case of girl I kiss them on the cheek and with guys I give them a Hug.I mean we live in Miami this is not the North where I could understand they would consider it fresh(I got slapped by a white girl in gainsville on my first time there), but here if Miami they should be used to it by now. Non Hispanic and Hispanic americans alike please comment.
This is revelatory of the dominant mentality of the newly and, in so many cases, illegally-arrived. That mentality is "here we are, we're outbreeding you so you need to speak our language and do things our way now."

That's a hot-button issue in itself, but another issue is that you aren't willing to observe other people's cultures which, as you don't seem to tolerate, are different than your own.

I'll spell it out for you- in some other cultures, you don't kiss other people in public. At all.

Last, you may realize that your choice of words reveals your lack of respect for those of other races and cultures, e.g. white "girl" rather than "woman" or "young lady." Do you really refer to Latinas by the same term- "girl"- by which you refer to 5 year-olds? I didn't think so.

I think you're the one not showing tolerance or respect and that you're a member of an entire and growing demography who doesn't do so.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:33 PM

313 posts, read 647,890 times
Oh please, relax. He just sounds like a young guy.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:46 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,188,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
Oh please, relax. He just sounds like a young guy.
She. You haven't been paying attention. But you're correct, the original post does come across as a tad naive, distressed and over-emotional. Immigrants are frequently homesick and disoriented in the US, this is not as happy a place for them as you'd think, which should be obvious by now. Most often the reason for being here is purely economic. For whatever reason, they can't go home, so they try to re-create the conditions of their homeland and it really doesn't work out for them. Gone are the days of the immigrants happy to be here, the prevailing sentiment is resentment, if anything the Boston tragedy should have taught us that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami