Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:49 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,109,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
How does this matter in regards to the thread?
it matters because miami's culture is differnet from anywhere else in the world and you can't expect things to be done in the same way as in Texas,Chicago,New york,etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
of which assumption you would be correct i'm 20.
No wonder you do not know how to understand basic trade numbers and other data form your other thread, come to illogical conclusions on your arguments, along with ignoring basic facts that counter your arguments.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
You're still missing the thrust of my criticism.
which is?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
it matters because miami's culture is differnet from anywhere else in the world and you can't expect things to be done in the same way as in Texas,Chicago,New york,etc
But what you are describing is a culture norm, which means the individual with the culture, not the location. Sure, a location can have many individuals with the same culture, but even in Miami, it is a salad bowl of people from different cultures, there is no way to proscribe one cultural norm to the entire area. You are making the assumption everyone in Miami adheres to the same culture, which is false.

As far as Miami's culture is different from everywhere in the world; what criteria? With no criteria given, a person could state every city, town, even street is different from each other in the world.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
But what you are describing is a culture norm, which means the individual with the culture, not the location. Sure, a location can have many individuals with the same culture, but even in Miami, it is a salad bowl of people from different cultures, there is no way to proscribe one cultural norm to the entire area. You are making the assumption everyone in Miami adheres to the same culture, which is false.

As far as Miami's culture is different from everywhere in the world; what criteria? With no criteria given, a person could state every city, town, even street is different from each other in the world.
it's differnt because no other major city in the world has the majority of the population come from latin america instead of the native country. And that is a very true statement that there is a salad bowl of cultures here in miami but even so there are certin norms that common through out most of miami.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:29 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Because anglos still have this Victorian thing that intimacy is some how a show of weakness. They really don't have much culture. You can win them over...if you don't over do it...actually growing up in a non-anglo home...we were not afraid of touch...I get a mischievous kick out of embracing cold types and feeling them squirm....Also some equate intimate contact as being homosexual or something...There was a standing joke in my family...My eldest son was from my wive's first marriage. Anglo back ground....I used to and still to hug him and say "scream when you start to feel gay" - we laugh when I pull this on him as an adult. It's about being secure in who you are also...besides big scary bikers do it...that must make it okay....

Old 04-22-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Because anglos still have this Victorian thing that intimacy is some how a show of weakness. They really don't have much culture. You can win them over...if you don't over do it...actually growing up in a non-anglo home...we were not afraid of touch...I get a mischievous kick out of embracing cold types and feeling them squirm....Also some equate intimate contact as being homosexual or something...There was a standing joke in my family...My eldest son was from my wive's first marriage. Anglo back ground....I used to and still to hug him and say "scream when you start to feel gay" - we laugh when I pull this on him as an adult. It's about being secure in who you are also...besides big scary bikers do it...that must make it okay....
lol to funny

Old 04-22-2013, 01:32 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,201,590 times
When my grandpas hug me, I tend to tremble so they feel uncomfortable.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
When my grandpas hug me, I tend to tremble so they feel uncomfortable.
lol

Old 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,188,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
My favorite "hug" story is from the Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky scandal. I'll never forget that one clip they kept playing over and over of the rally that Lewinsky went to when she was feeling blue about Bill avoiding her. There she was, in that beret, having managed to worm her way to the front of the crowd so Bill could press the flesh. Her face all lit up as she moved toward him for the embrace. I can't watch that clip without busting a gut, if it was a comic strip, there's be one of those "thought bubbles" above his head: "Noooooooooooooo...."

Now THAT was a hug, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami