Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 10:19 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
How so is it a nightmare? Here's what I don't get, everyone is always hopping on the NYC bandwagon about NYC is this, and NYC is that, but when it comes to Miami people are quick to hate on it? For one I personally do not care about NYC, the congestion, the population, the weather, museums, broadway, any of what NYC has to offer, it's nice to see once in a while, but i dont understand the whole HYPE surrounding NYC? Also people say Miami lacks scenary, well can anyone tell me what "Scenary" NYC has?? Does NYC even have a Golf Course? I'm not saying you are defending NYC but I am quick to see people on this forum jump on the NYC bandwagon and show all this love, than Miami is the complete opposite? Is it the better beaches? Better weather? Women? Is it jealousy? I don't know but it makes no sense to me. Miami is a paradise compared to NYC if you ask me, any day of the week, anyways this isn't directed at you, just something I always wondered, and can't seem to figure it out..
Because it is cool and hip to like New York City, duhhhh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Maybe another boat lift could do the trick?
from far east Asia

Old 03-01-2012, 12:06 PM

309 posts, read 619,783 times
Quote:
Because it is cool and hip to like New York City, duhhhh.
only for tourists, and/or others who've never been there. i grew up in philly, we were back-and-forth to NY all the time to see family and for the occasional show; to us from the area, NY is just another gray, ugly, overcrowded, filthy city with crumbling infrastructure and dirty, dark old buildings. ugh. While it does have the theatre, and some great ethnic neighborhoods & food, still - never in a million years would i want to live there. at this point i don't even want to visit there except for one event. for me personally, the Labor Day Caribbean Carnival is the only reason i go there anymore.

i honestly don't think Miami is anywhere NEAR approaching Manhattan, nor the boroughs -

Old 03-01-2012, 05:21 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
I doubt it will ever compare to Manhattan. Both are bustling cities but Manhattan has a strong financial district that Miami can't compete with. Miami (like so many other cities in Florida) are supported by tourism and service industries. Because of this, it will never "look like" Manhattan nor will it ever attract the same type of residents. So they will always be different. The geography alone plays a part in the make up (demographics, businesses, etc) of a city.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:33 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
People lose the conception of just how big NYC is after they've been away for a while. Living in BOS, I would think BOS is a pretty big city. Then visit NY for a day or two and everytime going back to BOS I would think, damn this is just a small town after all.

To get an idea.

Take Chicago+Miami+Boston+Philly+DC+SF+Seattle+Baltimor e put them all together and all that is about the size of NYC alone.

The biggest skyline in the USA beside NY (Chicago) looks fairly vacant compared to NYC. If you put Miami+CHI+LA+DAL+BOS+PHL+HOU, NY would still look much bigger.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:04 AM

430 posts, read 1,651,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
People lose the conception of just how big NYC is after they've been away for a while. Living in BOS, I would think BOS is a pretty big city. Then visit NY for a day or two and everytime going back to BOS I would think, damn this is just a small town after all.

To get an idea.

Take Chicago+Miami+Boston+Philly+DC+SF+Seattle+Baltimor e put them all together and all that is about the size of NYC alone.
Quality of living Vs Quantity of people..

I'll take Quality

Quote:
The biggest skyline in the USA beside NY (Chicago) looks fairly vacant compared to NYC. If you put Miami+CHI+LA+DAL+BOS+PHL+HOU, NY would still look much bigger.
Quality Skyline Vs Quantity skyline

I'll take a SF skyline or Miami skyline over a bunch of old ugly buildings anyday.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:58 AM

313 posts, read 725,932 times
Don't forget the people in Miami are wayyyyy better looking than those who reside in NYC full time.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:55 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times
Like they say in Spanish: "JAMAS!". LOL. Miami, another Manahattan. Yeah Right!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-03-2012, 11:01 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Quote:

To get an idea.

This is very true. Nothing compares to New York. Not even Chicago is close to becoming another Manhattan.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
Miami is a international financial nerve center.
I know it is the international banking center that ties the US to the Caribbean and Latin America, but where are the businesses, and all the buildings, to support that? There are a couple of nice high-rise banks downtown, but not much more to lend credence to Manhattanization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami