Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:22 AM

810 posts, read 1,578,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
i can't stand chancletas!!! These are the ugliest shoes ever designed in human history. Stilletos and boots are the best and this is the least you see in Miami... When I was in NYC ai realize ho bad Miamians dress....
Quote:
"High heels, ironically marketed as empowering, are a form of oppression via attire. While all high heels are damaging, the most drastic are the "high-fashion" stiletto heels, with a heel of two or more inches. These are incredibly unhealthy for the foot and back, yet this often goes unnoticed as the effects take longer to manifest and are obviously less drastic than foot binding."

" + artTitle.replace("-","") + " - " + "The Daily Campus" + " - " + "Commentary" + "
At least Las Chancleteras are not damaging their feet. Chancleteras might not be as dumb as you think. They don't ruin their body in order to "look pretty in Stilletos"
YOU ARE NOT GONNA BE 25 FOREVER, Marina. Don't forget that.

Last edited by Hialeah_Rules; 01-19-2011 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 11:54 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
Women cannot into high heels

FOREVER21!!

Old 01-19-2011, 04:53 PM

535 posts, read 1,410,558 times
Oh please, you don't need to be 25 to wear a nice pair of decent shoes... moccassins (similar to ballerina shoes, Coach has some pretty ones), ballerina shoes, flat boots, and even sneakers can be worn by any age group...

Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 PM

932 posts, read 1,176,968 times
I agree that many people in Miami dress like ****e. Pajamas in the supermarket, flippety-flops everywhere, dressing like a ho' to the office. Hey men, you don't get off the hook either! It is not cool or more importantly professional to wear gold chains to work, "bro"!.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:33 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
whats wrong with flipflops. we need to introduce aloha shirts here in the workplace like in hawaii. it makes more sense in our climate. i agree with you on thuggish clothing though. i dont like that.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:31 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post
Yes, it's true. Another thread on how truly sad this place is.

I moved from NYC (I'm from Manhattan) and though I come from one of the greatest cities in the world, I was able to put that behind me and give this place a chance without being biased or subjective.

Even though I've been here for almost 3 months, I can't help but express how terrible of a city it has been.

-People are rude
-People are egotistical (Why - because you drive a 3-series and live in a crowded apartment with 3 roommates? Please get over yourselves, you live in South Florida)
-Lack of culture/diversity (anybody that doesn't speak Spanish is a visitor counting down the days of when they can leave)
-No public transportation (what you have in place are Disney rides)
-No music scene (no jazz, terrible orchestra, no indie rock, experimental, etc)
-You don't pick up your dog's crap
-You don't have any interesting/new restaurants
-Lack of being in the know - understanding global issues/topics
-Lack of education
-Terrible traffic and poor city planning
-The worst drivers (and I'm from NYC). No idea of what's going on around you when driving.
-Too materialistic (blow your $30k salary on a designer purse)
-3rd highest city with salaries near poverty level
-The list goes on.

I honestly can't wait to take what I'm here for and move on to a real city.
Are you planning on moving back to NY or somewhere else?

Miami is New Jersey with palm trees

Old 01-19-2011, 08:05 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
whats wrong with flipflops. we need to introduce aloha shirts here in the workplace like in hawaii. it makes more sense in our climate. i agree with you on thuggish clothing though. i dont like that.

Absolutely!!! Aloha shirts or Guayaveras should be considered more than acceptable as business attire! Miami is after all, a different country albeit one under U.S. jurisdiction with some U.S. influence, but it is as radically different from the rest of the U.S. as Puerto Rico is, and the rules regarding formality should reflect that.

Also, to address Marina: As I guy I am actually totally turned off (in most cases - not all) by stilletto heels because I hate to see girls looking so uncomfortable, plus it looks idiotic when they try to walk in the damn things, but boots with skirts are always hot! I interpret the boots and skirt thing as a sign that she's(whoever "she" might be) daring and wild!

By the way as far as people not believing that Miami has an indie scene, most of this stuff is pretty much underground as nearly all good unspoiled scenes are. They are not generally advertised. Churchill's Pub in Little Haiti plays local and alternative bands and one of my absolute favorite artists is a local indie band called Afrobeta headed up by lead singer Cuci Amador. I highly recommend looking them up on youtube! Check out their videos from the Ultra Music festival such as Play House and As Long as You Like. This band is a trip! it's like they locked themselves inside a bomb shelter in 1984 and just re-emerged in 2008 with the same avant guarde New-Wave sensibilities and color schemes! They are a total timewarp!

These shots of Cuci Amador are from the video of the song Electro Movimiento, by Calle 13 which she provided vocals for. Awesome vid by the way!

Old 01-19-2011, 08:13 PM

932 posts, read 1,176,968 times
I really have to make it over to Churchill's someday. I am just slightly concerned with the logistics involved with getting to / from there.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:22 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
Even though there is no scene in Miami (fanbase movement supporting a genre or local bands), we still have few good bands emerging from Miami.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:27 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
Guayaberas. I can dig it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami