Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:13 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
glasvegas: there really aren't any subcultures here to speak of. no goths, emos, punks, ravers, etc.
you either rely on your family or know some people you grew up with if you grew up here.
most everyone else is on their own. this sucks from a supporting standpoint but the solitude of miami in some ways i value because in southern california i was extremely distracted and it was all extremely expensive. here i feel like i could study what i want, do what i'm interested in but my attention isn't being torn a thousand directions all at once. in socal i felt like i could taste/sample everything but never really eat it.
Agreed. There are a distinct lack of noticeable "scenes", but that's not to say they don't exist. People have their circles of friends and seldom leave those circles. You've got to be a pretty damn outgoing person to break into those circles here, but many people can (and do) pull it off. It's by no means impossible, but you have to take into account that Miami is very different from a city such as New York, in the sense of how people work, play, travel and socialize.

I guess a lot of New Yorkers come here initially because of the weather and to live somewhere less crowded and congested, only to find that 6 months later, they miss aspects of living in NYC, such as museums, being able to go to the theater, cosmopolitanism, walkability, extensive mass transit, 24 hour shopping and dining and the "oldness" and character of NYC. For others, Miami and South Florida in general works out fine. Different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 03:20 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
What a pointless thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:24 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post
Yes, it's true. Another thread on how truly sad this place is.

I moved from NYC (I'm from Manhattan) and though I come from one of the greatest cities in the world, I was able to put that behind me and give this place a chance without being biased or subjective.

Even though I've been here for almost 3 months, I can't help but express how terrible of a city it has been.

-People are rude SUPER MEGA TRUE!
-People are egotistical (Why - because you drive a 3-series and live in a crowded apartment with 3 roommates? Please get over yourselves, you live in South Florida) THEY THINK THEY LIVE IN THE BEST PLACE IN THE PLANET, BUT THEY'RE REALLY NOT.
-Lack of culture/diversity (anybody that doesn't speak Spanish is a visitor counting down the days of when they can leave)
-No public transportation (what you have in place are Disney rides)
-No music scene (no jazz, terrible orchestra, no indie rock, experimental, etc) THIS IS A SALSA TOWN, DIDN'T YOU KNOW IT?
-You don't pick up your dog's crap
-You don't have any interesting/new restaurants MOST RESTAURANTS IN COOL PLACES END UP CLOSING CUZ OF THE SUPER HIGH RENTS AND CHEAP CUSTOMERS
-Lack of being in the know - understanding global issues/topics THIS ONE I HAVE TO GIVE AN APPLAUSE, I'VE MET PEOPLE THAT DON'T KNOW WHERE CHILE, ARGENTINA AND VENEZUELA ARE LOCATED IN THE MAP. THIS REALLY DISGUSTS ME AND BREAKS MY HEART, THIS IS STUFF ARE 3ND GRADE STUDENT SHOULD KNOW I'VE ALSO MET PEOPLE THAT HAVE NO IDEA OF THE NEWS AND WHEN YOU TALK TO THEM THEY LOOK AT YOU LIKE THAT .
-Lack of education DON'T YOU KNOW ONLY SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN HALF OF THE POPULATION IN MIAMI HAVEA A HS DIPLOMA. I HAVE A COLLEGE EDUCATION AND THEY DON'T WANT TO PAY MORE THAN $8 AN HOUR, CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT THESE INDIVIDUALS SHOULD DO FOR THE MONEY AND PAY THEIR $1000 SHACK RENT.
-Terrible traffic and poor city planning ABSOLUTELY TRUE, EVEN PEOPLE WHO HAD VISITED LA, ATLANTA AND OTHER CITIES SAY THE ROADS HERE ARE A JOKE, THEY LOOK LIKE THE ONES IN A SMALL CITY.
-The worst drivers (and I'm from NYC). No idea of what's going on around you when driving. THEY JUST THINK ME, ME, ME AND ONLY ME AND MY BIG FAT SUV
-Too materialistic (blow your $30k salary on a designer purse) LOL, 30K IN MIAMI DADE IS HIGHER THAN AVERAGE SALARY, IN FACT THAT'S A PROFESSIONAL SALARY IN MIAMI... PEOPLE WHO EARN 15K DRIVE BIG SUVS AND BMW'S AND LIVE WITH 10 OTHER ROOMMATES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GHETTO....
-3rd highest city with salaries near poverty level IT SHOULD BE THE FIRST, SINCE THIS IS THE THIRD MOST EXPESIVE CITY IN THE WHOLE NATION AND MOST MAKING 15K A YEAR ($7.25 AN HOUR)....
-The list goes on.
- TOO MANY OLD FARTS
- UGLY AND FAT PEOPLE EVERYWHERE (I'M TALKING ABOUT MIAMI, NOT MIAMI BEACH OR AVENTURA)
-PEOPLE DON'T EDUCATE THEMSELVES, THEY TURN 16, DROPOUT AND START WORKING IN MCDONNALDS SO THEY CAN LEASE A BIG SUV OR BMW.
- PEOPLE JUST THINK OF PARTYING AND HAVE SEX ALL DAY.
- MOST PEOPLE ARE TACKY, DRESS HORRIBLE (UGLY CHANCLETAS AND UGLY WALMART SHORTS).
-NOBODY SPEAKS ENGLIGH AND DON'T EVEN ASK YOU IF YU SPEAK SPANISH, THEY JUST THROW THEIR GARBAGE IN CUBAN OR VENEZUELAN.
-ALL PROPERTIES LOOK THE SAME (SAME COLORS, SAME ARCHITECTURE), BORING AND SUPER EXPESIVE, NOT WORTH THE PRICE.
-MOST PEOPLE IN MIAMI ARE A BUNCH OF LOSERS WHO DON'T CARE TO GO TO SCHOOL AND GET A REAL CAREER. (YEA IT'S MORE IMPORTANT MY ED HARDY SHIRTS AND MY BIG SUV WITH 28s)
- IT GOES ON AND ON...
-MOST PEOPLE ARE ON WELFARE, AND THE SAD PART IS THAT MANY OF THESE INDIVIDUALS WEAR BRAND CLOTHES, DESIGNER PURSES, NAILS DONE AND THEY DRIVE A BRAND NEW MERCEDES OR BMW.
-YOU NEED 3 JOBS OR MORE TO SURVIVE AND RENT AN UGLY APARTMENT IN A GHETTO AND NOT BEG FOR MONEY TO UNCLE SAM...
- IT GOES ON AND ON....
I honestly can't wait to take what I'm here for and move on to a real city.THIS IS NOT A CITY, IS A BIG TOWN

Old 01-18-2011, 07:03 PM

37 posts, read 50,859 times
How can you Miami Supporters not see the decay of a once cool city......
do you really think the rat pack would hang out here again if they were alive....

no they would'nt

and Flagler is spinning in his grave

Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 PM

888 posts, read 886,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post

I moved from NYC (I'm from Manhattan) and though I come from one of the greatest cities in the world, I was able to put that behind me and give this place a chance without being biased or subjective.

Even though I've been here for almost 3 months, I can't help but express how terrible of a city it has been.

-People are egotistical (Why - because you drive a 3-series and live in a crowded apartment with 3 roommates? Please get over yourselves, you live in South Florida) THEY THINK THEY LIVE IN THE BEST PLACE IN THE PLANET, BUT THEY'RE REALLY NOT.
-Lack of culture/diversity (anybody that doesn't speak Spanish is a visitor counting down the days of when they can leave)
-No music scene (no jazz, terrible orchestra, no indie rock, experimental, etc) THIS IS A SALSA TOWN, DIDN'T YOU KNOW IT?
-You don't have any interesting/new restaurants MOST RESTAURANTS IN COOL PLACES END UP CLOSING CUZ OF THE SUPER HIGH RENTS AND CHEAP CUSTOMERS
-Lack of being in the know - understanding global issues/topics THIS ONE I HAVE TO GIVE AN APPLAUSE, I'VE MET PEOPLE THAT DON'T KNOW WHERE CHILE, ARGENTINA AND VENEZUELA ARE LOCATED IN THE MAP. THIS REALLY DISGUSTS ME AND BREAKS MY HEART, THIS IS STUFF ARE 3ND GRADE STUDENT SHOULD KNOW I'VE ALSO MET PEOPLE THAT HAVE NO IDEA OF THE NEWS AND WHEN YOU TALK TO THEM THEY LOOK AT YOU LIKE THAT .
-Lack of education DON'T YOU KNOW ONLY SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN HALF OF THE POPULATION IN MIAMI HAVEA A HS DIPLOMA. I HAVE A COLLEGE EDUCATION AND THEY DON'T WANT TO PAY MORE THAN $8 AN HOUR, CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT THESE INDIVIDUALS SHOULD DO FOR THE MONEY AND PAY THEIR $1000 SHACK RENT.
-Terrible traffic and poor city planning ABSOLUTELY TRUE, EVEN PEOPLE WHO HAD VISITED LA, ATLANTA AND OTHER CITIES SAY THE ROADS HERE ARE A JOKE, THEY LOOK LIKE THE ONES IN A SMALL CITY.
-The worst drivers (and I'm from NYC). No idea of what's going on around you when driving. THEY JUST THINK ME, ME, ME AND ONLY ME AND MY BIG FAT SUV
-Too materialistic (blow your $30k salary on a designer purse) LOL, 30K IN MIAMI DADE IS HIGHER THAN AVERAGE SALARY, IN FACT THAT'S A PROFESSIONAL SALARY IN MIAMI... PEOPLE WHO EARN 15K DRIVE BIG SUVS AND BMW'S AND LIVE WITH 10 OTHER ROOMMATES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GHETTO....
-3rd highest city with salaries near poverty level IT SHOULD BE THE FIRST, SINCE THIS IS THE THIRD MOST EXPESIVE CITY IN THE WHOLE NATION AND MOST MAKING 15K A YEAR ($7.25 AN HOUR)....
-The list goes on.
- TOO MANY OLD FARTS
- UGLY AND FAT PEOPLE EVERYWHERE (I'M TALKING ABOUT MIAMI, NOT MIAMI BEACH OR AVENTURA)
-PEOPLE DON'T EDUCATE THEMSELVES, THEY TURN 16, DROPOUT AND START WORKING IN MCDONNALDS SO THEY CAN LEASE A BIG SUV OR BMW.
- MOST PEOPLE ARE TACKY, DRESS HORRIBLE (UGLY CHANCLETAS AND UGLY WALMART SHORTS).
-NOBODY SPEAKS ENGLIGH AND DON'T EVEN ASK YOU IF YU SPEAK SPANISH, THEY JUST THROW THEIR GARBAGE IN CUBAN OR VENEZUELAN.
-ALL PROPERTIES LOOK THE SAME (SAME COLORS, SAME ARCHITECTURE), BORING AND SUPER EXPESIVE, NOT WORTH THE PRICE.
-MOST PEOPLE IN MIAMI ARE A BUNCH OF LOSERS WHO DON'T CARE TO GO TO SCHOOL AND GET A REAL CAREER. (YEA IT'S MORE IMPORTANT MY ED HARDY SHIRTS AND MY BIG SUV WITH 28s)
- IT GOES ON AND ON...
-MOST PEOPLE ARE ON WELFARE, AND THE SAD PART IS THAT MANY OF THESE INDIVIDUALS WEAR BRAND CLOTHES, DESIGNER PURSES, NAILS DONE AND THEY DRIVE A BRAND NEW MERCEDES OR BMW.
-YOU NEED 3 JOBS OR MORE TO SURVIVE AND RENT AN UGLY APARTMENT IN A GHETTO AND NOT BEG FOR MONEY TO UNCLE SAM...
- IT GOES ON AND ON....
I honestly can't wait to take what I'm here for and move on to a real city.THIS IS NOT A CITY, IS A BIG TOWN
so you are still here, lol
great rebuttal, btw
classic...

Old 01-18-2011, 07:18 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Marina1686
befriend
360 posts, read 160,598 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809

-The list goes on.
- TOO MANY OLD FARTS
- IT GOES ON AND ON...
- IT GOES ON AND ON....

Wow! All caps. And RED. Generalize much???

Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,138 times
I forgot to mention that there're a lot of old farts 35 and over fat and bald who dress like 15 year old kids wearing Ed Hardy, Hollister and Graffiti and studs shirts.... I can't stand it, but it's funny at the same time

Old 01-18-2011, 07:51 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Continuing to discuss how terrible something is doesn't make it better. Focusing on personal growth is the only thing you can do. Without effective leadership nothing is going to change and no one here wants effective leadership so all you can do is bury yourself in what you enjoy doing.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:58 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
Continuing to discuss how terrible something is doesn't make it better. Focusing on personal growth is the only thing you can do. Without effective leadership nothing is going to change and no one here wants effective leadership so all you can do is bury yourself in what you enjoy doing.
Exactly.

If you can find your "niche" while living in Miami, chances are, you'll be just fine. If you have no niche or outlet in Miami, Miami could potentially eat you alive. Until the collective will to really change Miami, Miami will never change. In my case, I have to leave and I am leaving later this year. Venting really does nothing to solve the problem and the last thing I want to do is to discourage people from coming to Miami who are different from me and who would enjoy it, flaws and all.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:04 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
I think change for south florida will only come when the immigration stops and when change is brought upon it at a federal level. it cannot help itself. with constant immigration you never gain any ground. south florida is kinda the "training wheels" for the US. you can get started here and move onto the rest of the country or your children will graduate to the rest of the country. but this constant influx of new people you never gain any ground. maturity and growth of a population requires time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami