Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:28 PM

932 posts, read 1,178,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
I think change for south florida will only come when the immigration stops and when change is brought upon it at a federal level. it cannot help itself. with constant immigration you never gain any ground. south florida is kinda the "training wheels" for the US. you can get started here and move onto the rest of the country or your children will graduate to the rest of the country. but this constant influx of new people you never gain any ground. maturity and growth of a population requires time.
You're probably right. Miami is unlike anywhere in the US - it is a city of very recent immigrants. It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why it has little sense of community - the community hasn't really had long enough to be a cohesive unit. Also, even before the waves of immigrants, Miami was still a party town and a popular destination for people seeking sun and cheap thrills. Miami is a transient city and that's what holds it back. That's why it doesn't really have much enthusiasm for local sports teams, maybe aside from the Heat.

Change needs to begin at the heart though, i.e. Downtown Miami. Any big city needs a heart - a central focal point. Many other US cities suffer the same fate. The heart of Miami needs to become a place where people not only live for 3 months of the year (part time residents), but it needs to become a place where people work, play, shop and socialize. Sorry to mention him again, but Manny Diaz had the right idea. I think his vision for Miami was a noble one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:30 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,201,590 times
Fat and ugly people

I can't not emphasize enough how true that is.

Ok, I'm jumping into the bashing bandwagon here, however, there is no need to do this - it's plain useless and stupid. Here I go:

People have no sense of fashion.
People are loud.
Customer service is horrible.
I literally want to kick the mouth of every loud person who thinks is entitled to ignore the presence of other people.
They think they are better than you just for having a car.
No indie scene.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:36 PM

810 posts, read 1,579,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Fat and ugly people

I can't not emphasize enough how true that is.

Ok, I'm jumping into the bashing bandwagon here, however, there is no need to do this - it's plain useless and stupid. Here I go:

People are loud.
I literally want to kick the mouth of every loud Caribbean person who thinks is entitled to ignore the presence of other people.
No indie scene.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
What does this mean? @_@

Old 01-18-2011, 08:42 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times
After reading this thread I no longer have any desire to take my talents to South Beach.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:09 AM

535 posts, read 1,411,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterfront View Post
fat and ugly people

i can't not emphasize enough how true that is.

Ok, i'm jumping into the bashing bandwagon here, however, there is no need to do this - it's plain useless and stupid. Here i go:

People are loud.
I literally want to kick the mouth of every loud person who thinks is entitled to ignore the presence of other people.
No indie scene.
i can't stand chancletas!!! These are the ugliest shoes ever designed in human history. Stilletos and boots are the best and this is the least you see in Miami... When I was in NYC ai realize ho bad Miamians dress....

Old 01-19-2011, 10:24 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,674 times
I'm sure that all Miami bashers are not real but a robot programmed by Doggiebus.
They all say the same exact words, just like those stuffed toys with big eyes that repeat words....rude, spanish, traffic...no grits...no batteries!!!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:53 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,964 times
Quote:
Living in that retched hive of scum and villainy it was only a matter of time until you succumbed to the dark side. Embrace the hate and feel the power. I dub thee "Darth Winter". Rise my young apprentice. <Imperial March plays in background>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
I'm sure that all Miami bashers are not real but a robot programmed by Doggiebus.
They all say the same exact words, just like those stuffed toys with big eyes that repeat words....rude, spanish, traffic...no grits...no batteries!!!
Hey, I'm a programmer too. Doggie's code was open source. I refined the bots and taught them to make random spelling mistakes (my specialty) so they would seem mroe human.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:14 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,652 times
Quote:
Curious how you came to this conclusion compared to a lot of other places.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:16 AM

Yeah, I'm curious as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami