Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 04:11 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,692,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The bill had $60B included for Ukraine.

It wasn't a "border bill" it was a combo bill trying to sneak through more money for funding a war that is killing thousands (yes, I oppose the US propping up Ukraine just so more people die before the inevitable happens.)

And THERE is your Dem. crap part of the equation. Why put irrelevant non-immigration components into the bill? If they, or anyone else, really cared about the immigration crisis, they could have put forth a clean bill to address it. They did not. Maybe next time, right?
That is either a severe misunderstanding or a severe misrepresentation of the situation. Feel free to read about the topic from your news source of choice in late 2023/early 2024; it's REPUBLICAN leadership who demanded Ukraine funding be tied to border policy as Democratic prioritization of the former was seen as a bargaining chip to secure more concessions towards the latter. After Senate Democrats and Republicans eagerly pushed forward funding towards both, THEN Trump stepped in to ruin the bipartisan agreement. He literally took "credit" for this. I don't know why you're so desperate the re-write history in order to both-sides this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 04:30 PM

45,429 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Is the bill being discussed the one that allowed 5000 illegals in per day?

Old 04-20-2024, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Is the bill being discussed the one that allowed 5000 illegals in per day?
Really? You're that far gone?

Old 04-21-2024, 05:16 AM

45,429 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Really? You're that far gone?
Far gone?
Not so far gone to label something "bi-partisan" with 100% votes from one side and only a handful from the other.
Not so far gone to be offended(?) that legislators, from both sides just can't help themselves from piling non-germane subjects onto what should be a clean bill.
Not so far gone that I can't read the legislation as see that yes, there are numbers allowed.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:50 AM

7,022 posts, read 11,320,211 times
Quote:
That is either a severe misunderstanding or a severe misrepresentation of the situation. Feel free to read about the topic from your news source of choice in late 2023/early 2024; it's REPUBLICAN leadership who demanded Ukraine funding be tied to border policy as Democratic prioritization of the former was seen as a bargaining chip to secure more concessions towards the latter. After Senate Democrats and Republicans eagerly pushed forward funding towards both, THEN Trump stepped in to ruin the bipartisan agreement. He literally took "credit" for this. I don't know why you're so desperate the re-write history in order to both-sides this
You really think without Orange Man, THAT bill would have passed both Houses? Clinging to this idea that one bad person is what is wrong with America, is exactly my point. Why pass a bill when you can create news stories that keep people, like you, firmly on the side of one of the two parties?

It's what I said when I started, neither party want to fix the immigration crisis because having measures fail makes more hay with their base. I think you are proving my point.

You will note money for Ukraine was just passed by the House, GOP speaker, lots of DEM voted yes. A nice clean bill(s) was written and passed. Lots of rich people just got richer; crony capitalist games with arms manufactures. Both parties benefited from having the immigration measure fail. DEM supporters like you have their talking points, the GOP has their own. Anyone not drinking the Kool-Aid loses.

Old 04-21-2024, 10:36 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,506,592 times
One thing to consider about allowing illegal aliens to buy health insurance is that without insurance, they wait until they are very sick and then go for treatment at hospital emergency rooms, which are required by law to provide treatment, often without reimbursement, especially at public hospitals. With insurance, medical providers get reimbursed, just as if any of us see a doctor, and the illegal aliens who buy insurance will get treatment far sooner, before the medical issue becomes more difficult and more expensive to treat.

Old 04-21-2024, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
You really think without Orange Man, THAT bill would have passed both Houses?
Yes? The bill proposed adding several thousand border agents, several thousand asylum officers, and funding for 15,000 additional ICE detention beds. Asylum applicants would be processed quickly, ruled upon quickly, and not released into the country in the interim.

If Trump had proposed the above instead of Biden then you, NBP and klan members like Quick Enough would have absolutely wet yourselves. If Democrats stood in the way of it instead of Republicans you'd have legitimate reason to complain. No one who actually cares about this issue believes the border is better off today than if reform had passed.

Old 04-21-2024, 06:06 PM

And yes, to his credit, Johnson ultimately put Ukraine $$ to a vote (further undercutting your erroneous claim that Democrats were the ones who demanded Ukraine and border $$ be tied together). Obviously Republicans didn't play their political hand well, but doing what's right is what matters most and the Speaker deserves credit for that. I hope the Trump wing quickly moves on to the next shiny thing and forgets their threats to punish those who act against Putin's interests. Speaker Johnson deserves to keep his job.

Old 04-21-2024, 06:35 PM

7,022 posts, read 11,320,211 times
Quote:
Yes? The bill proposed adding several thousand border agents, several thousand asylum officers, and funding for 15,000 additional ICE detention beds. Asylum applicants would be processed quickly, ruled upon quickly, and not released into the country in the interim.

If Trump had proposed the above instead of Biden then you, NBP and klan members like Quick Enough would have absolutely wet yourselves. If Democrats stood in the way of it instead of Republicans you'd have legitimate reason to complain. No one who actually cares about this issue believes the border is better off today than if reform had passed.
C'mon man. If you really think that I have "pretended" to not support Trump for almost 8 years now to keep up appearances on C-D, I don't know what to tell you.

You know the original bill WAS funding for Ukraine.
You know the border component was added to TRY and placate GOP congressman
You know the combo bill failed both because too many GOP congressman will not vote for any more Ukraine aid

and because

You know the 5,000 per day or 4,000 over 7 days is a threshold that would have to be activated before the President could act..........Congress proposed a bill now that would create Legislative law about how and when the Executive Branch could "shut down" the border. Common sense this is a preemptive attempt to limit a GOP president from attempting what Trump tried. Your "fact checkers" say this is a good thing because courts blocked many of his actions. Common sense says allowing about 1.4M people coming over the border every year before Executive action can be triggered isn't a solution, but a handcuff.

Some of the bill would have been useful and I support, like more agents, processing centers, etc., but then again, give me a clean bill with just these elements and we will see what happens.What's stopping it other than my premise?......neither party will propose a clean bill that could be passed, nothing to gain and lots to lose from anything that gets 60 Senators, the President, and a majority of the House to approve........both ends of the spectrum would be furiously unsatisfied with their own party rather than attacking the other.

Yup, Johnson went and did, it was a clean bill, there was one for Israel, one for Ukraine, and both have enough support to get the needed votes. Whether I agree or disagree, THAT is how you get legislation passed.

Last edited by westsideboy; 04-21-2024 at 07:17 PM..

Old 04-22-2024, 06:20 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And what will happen differently then?
"And what will happen differently then?"

Really?

When people are NOT happy with what their elected officials do, they vote for somebody else the next election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland