Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 10:11 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I read it , I don't believe it. Sorry but in my opinion this was done to evoke a reaction. Been going to Maine for years and anyone that says People from Maine are worse then NY or Florida are simply making it up or flat out nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2023, 07:46 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,660,419 times
Does this mean there will be less Subarus driving 38 mph in 55 mph zones and brake checking every 500 feet?

This is hysterical!!

Old 10-19-2023, 06:35 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,346,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofwinter View Post
All good advice - I've made most of my acquaintances and a few friends here by pursuing the things that interest me and then striking up conversations. Belonging to one or more groups is always helpful (a fraternal organization, a hobby group, etc).

Jellybean50, I think I know of your shop and have been meaning to visit it! I will make a better effort to do so
Hope you can come by! I've not been open for several weeks due to weather and not feeling well. But hopefully next weekend.

Old 10-19-2023, 06:38 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,346,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Because some will drive up the prices of housing - like what happened to the "sky is falling" crowd from the west coast - who descended on WY, ID & MT like hungry wolves $800k to $1Mn homes don't help the locals that much, when they bring in their own contractors and don't hire locals. All it does is raise their taxes and punish them - when they were there first. So, I've never been in favour of moving to another state and buying. Renting sure. But if there's nothing to rent - why bother.
We'd love to hire ANYbody! No one ever calls back, most are booked up for years. And the ones that come by, measure and never come back. Very frustrating. We finally found a plumber after 2+ years - we wish he could come and do everything!

Old 10-21-2023, 07:01 AM

900 posts, read 683,829 times
We have lived here 3 years now. I just had a prolonged interaction with a state official who did the medical examination report of my mother's death. I would never have imagined that I would be shown such kindness and human decency from a state official. I am very grateful to the state of Maine right now for caring about its citizens and being a voice for the dead, and making sure they are shown justice.

Old 10-26-2023, 04:16 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Does this mean there will be less Subarus driving 38 mph in 55 mph zones and brake checking every 500 feet?
Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis!!!!!!!!

Old 10-26-2023, 04:25 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,782 times
Colorado , you are not a native ...go away ..

Old 10-26-2023, 11:32 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
My spouse & I vacationed in Maine. I have never written about this, but I feel it’s time, especially now.

So many people all over Maine were generally friendly, & engaged us in conversation & were helpful. These weren't tourists or people employed in tourist industries, they were locals out & about.

Spouse lost his wallet, and it was returned with everything intact. This would have NEVER happened in our then-home state, California.

I’m a huge Stephen King fan, & wanted to see his home in Bangor. I was surprised to see the gate hanging wide open. I’m not a weirdo/stalker, so I stayed well away from the property. A man walking his dog came down the sidewalk, & I expected him to suggest that I move along, but instead he engaged me in a pleasant conversation.

In another town, we came upon a unique, beautiful house. I stood in the street, photographing it. A man walked out, identified himself as the owner, and then gave us a tour of his house, every single room, plus the grounds, plus the history of this beautiful old house.

I think Maine is awesome. Of course, this is my experience as a tourist. I’m very aware that life is different as a resident. I live in Washington now, & people here are very passive-aggressive, & not interested in true friendship, unless a transactional relationship is considered friendship these days. But even as a tourist, I don’t believe our experiences in Maine would be replicated in Washington.

Old 10-27-2023, 02:02 PM

218 posts, read 155,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
My spouse & I vacationed in Maine. I have never written about this, but I feel it’s time, especially now.

So many people all over Maine were generally friendly, & engaged us in conversation & were helpful. These weren't tourists or people employed in tourist industries, they were locals out & about.

Spouse lost his wallet, and it was returned with everything intact. This would have NEVER happened in our then-home state, California.

I’m a huge Stephen King fan, & wanted to see his home in Bangor. I was surprised to see the gate hanging wide open. I’m not a weirdo/stalker, so I stayed well away from the property. A man walking his dog came down the sidewalk, & I expected him to suggest that I move along, but instead he engaged me in a pleasant conversation.

In another town, we came upon a unique, beautiful house. I stood in the street, photographing it. A man walked out, identified himself as the owner, and then gave us a tour of his house, every single room, plus the grounds, plus the history of this beautiful old house.

I think Maine is awesome. Of course, this is my experience as a tourist. I’m very aware that life is different as a resident. I live in Washington now, & people here are very passive-aggressive, & not interested in true friendship, unless a transactional relationship is considered friendship these days. But even as a tourist, I don’t believe our experiences in Maine would be replicated in Washington.
I don't know why you would say such a thing. I live in California and I lost my wallet here. It was promptly returned to me with everything completely intact. I'm glad your spouse got the wallet back.

Old 10-27-2023, 02:18 PM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
Colorado , you are not a native ...go away ..
Are you suggesting that only Maine natives can post here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine