Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:44 AM

393 posts, read 981,677 times

Advertisements

In our rural town library, there are shelves upon shelves of old books about Maine written in the 1930s and 40s.

I just discovered author Louise Dickinson Rich. Her first of many subsequent books was a true page-turner and I highly recommend it: "We Took to the Woods" about her adventures living in a very remote cabin in the general area of Umbagog Lake back in the 1930s and 40s. (first printing 1942).

Another discovery is historical novel author Kenneth Roberts. His swashbuckling tale Northwest Passage kept me on the edge of my seat for more than 700 pages, even if the language was a bit archaic. This should be required reading for high schoolers in every American History class in Maine!

I know there are many, many others, and look forward to spending long winter nights reading and learning much more about Maine. Would love to hear more Maine book suggestions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 09:20 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,204 times
This one is a great glimpse at history IMO. Martha Ballard was a midwife in Hallowell as I recall (it's been a while since I read it) and she kept a journal of her work.

A Midwife's Tale: The Life of Martha Ballard, Based on Her Diary, 1785-1812

Old 11-07-2010, 10:04 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post
In our rural town library, there are shelves upon shelves of old books about Maine written in the 1930s and 40s.

I just discovered author Louise Dickinson Rich. Her first of many subsequent books was a true page-turner and I highly recommend it: "We Took to the Woods" about her adventures living in a very remote cabin in the general area of Umbagog Lake back in the 1930s and 40s. (first printing 1942).

Another discovery is historical novel author Kenneth Roberts. His swashbuckling tale Northwest Passage kept me on the edge of my seat for more than 700 pages, even if the language was a bit archaic. This should be required reading for high schoolers in every American History class in Maine!

I know there are many, many others, and look forward to spending long winter nights reading and learning much more about Maine. Would love to hear more Maine book suggestions...
Not Maine, but "Green Mountain Farm" was about living in Northern Vermont during the Great Depression. Much of the experience of living in Vermont back then cannot have been too different from Maine, so close enough. It is the best book by far, that I've read about living simply in rural New England.

I've read "We Took to the Woods"--but I like "Green Mountain Farm" infinitely more: http://www.amazon.com/Green-Mountain...9150891&sr=1-1

"The Road Washes Out in Spring" and "A Year in the Maine Woods" are two more recent good books about living in rural Maine.

There's also "Northern Farm" by Henry Beston, author of the much celebrated "Outermost House"

I didn't care much for Beston's "Outermost House" book (which was about living on Cape Cod in the 1920s), but there were parts of "Nothern Farm" (about Maine) I liked a lot.

Still, my favorite so far is "Green Mountain Farm"

Last edited by OutDoorNut; 11-07-2010 at 10:34 AM..

Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Just remembered a fascinating autobiography/memoir about growing up in Marshfield, Maine around 1900: "A Maine Hamlet"

The author is Lura (or is it, Lara?) Beam: http://www.amazon.com/Maine-Hamlet-L...9150677&sr=1-1

Along the same lines, there's "The Island's True Child" by Dorothy Simpson, which was also good.

But I liked "A Maine Hamlet" more.

Last edited by OutDoorNut; 11-07-2010 at 10:35 AM..

Old 11-07-2010, 10:27 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,476 times
Quote:

John Gould wrote some good stuff also. I read a lot of Kenneth Roberts in the late 70's. Great reads especially Northwest Passage. Then became obsessive over Stephan King while I was in UK. The Dead Zone made me feel closer to home.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:40 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,690 times
Don Fendler - Lost on a Mountain in Maine by Joseph Egan

Old 11-07-2010, 11:15 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Don Fendler - Lost on a Mountain in Maine by Joseph Egan
He's still around too. I remember reading the book when I was a kid in the 50's. It made me scared to go there as I was sure I'd get lost like him.

August 19, 2010
Donn Fendler shares "lost on a mountain" story with Kooky campers | Island Ad-Vantages (http://www.islandadvantages.com/archives/2010/081910_stories/ia_3_donn_fendler_081910.html - broken link)

Here's his own website with some cool pictures:
http://www.donnfendler.com/

Old 11-07-2010, 11:15 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,114 times
Wow, these are great suggestions. I'm adding them to my "to read" list. Thanks!

Old 11-07-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:

If your connection is fast enough, you can sample the first few pages of "Green Mountain Farm" here: Amazon.com: Green Mountain Farm (9780881504354): Elliott Merrick, Lawrence Millman: Books: Reviews, Prices & more

Old 11-07-2010, 05:21 PM

393 posts, read 981,677 times
Thanks everyone for these great suggestions. I look forward to getting lost in my local library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine