Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 09:14 AM

123 posts, read 108,399 times

Advertisements

Reviving this old thread! Mainly because its the newest of the old threads out there when I searched "books" in Maine

Anyway - as an avid wannabe Mainer for the past 3 years - I have so far had to settle for extremely rewarding and special visits, as well as reading!

I must say I fell in love with the book The Island's True Child by Dorothy Simpson. I have always been enchanted by the past and the 'simpler way of life', and this memoir was really great to read.

I've also picked up and started reading We Took To the Woods by Louise Dickinson Rich. I have not finished it yet.

Currently ordered today:
The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett
A Maine Hamlet by Lura Beam
Northern Farm by Henry Beston
Green Mountain Farm by Elliot Merrick

I got those titles from this thread. But wanted to kick this back up for any new suggestions over the past 9 years!

Specifically I'd love to find more memoirs about living in Maine from the early-mid 1900s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 05:20 PM

605 posts, read 624,180 times
I didn't know this thread existed. Thanks for reviving it!

Old 06-16-2021, 10:16 AM

55 posts, read 35,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
I didn't know this thread existed. Thanks for reviving it!

Me either! And I've been going back to the beginning with one browser window and going to amazon wiht another!

Old 06-16-2021, 10:18 AM

Recently came across Bruce Robert Coffin and Paul Dorion. I enjoy their stuff too. Easy reading and fun.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:23 AM

Oh and Mike Bond, "Killing Maine" is a good story too

Old 06-16-2021, 03:22 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
I'm reading Sacred Instructions by Maine author Sherri Mitchell.

Beneficence by Meredith Hall. She's my favorite instructor as well as an interesting story teller.

My Life inthe Maine Woods: A Game Warden's Wife in t he Allagash Country by Annette Jackson. Free on Kindle right now.

Old 06-16-2021, 04:07 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,414,821 times
I forget where I picked it up, but I really enjoyed "Silas Crockett" by Mary Ellen Chase.

Silas Crockett traces life on the Maine coast through four generations of a seafaring family. This is a one-hundred-year epic filled with vibrant descriptions of the sweeping cultural, economic, and philosophical changes that washed over Maine. Mary Ellen Chase weaves wonderful historical detail with engaging characters so readers understand what it was like for a young wife to join her husband on a months-long trade voyage in 1830, and for a man raised in the tradition of seafaring forced to choose between leaving home for a long voyage or undertaking a risky, but shorter and more lucrative one. Chase draws her characters sharply and provides a voice to the everyday concerns and cares of people who lived and died by the sea. Written in 1935, Silas Crockett remains an important piece of literature for anyone who wishes to understand the rich maritime history of Maine.

Old 06-16-2021, 04:39 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I read We Took to the Woods a long time ago and it was one of the best books I've ever read.

More recently, Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout is good because of the characters she describes. There's a newer book by her, Olive Again, but it's kind of depressing. She's not from Maine so she doesn't always "get" things, but she's an excellent writer.

BTW Maj. Robert Rogers of Northwest Passage is one of my (notorious?) ancestors. Actually I descend from his sister who sounds like she was a really nice and great person. Have never been able to make my way through the book but should probably try watching the movie.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:45 PM

123 posts, read 108,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBruiser View Post

I must say I fell in love with the book The Island's True Child by Dorothy Simpson. I have always been enchanted by the past and the 'simpler way of life', and this memoir was really great to read.

I've also picked up and started reading We Took To the Woods by Louise Dickinson Rich. I have not finished it yet.

Currently ordered today:
The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett
A Maine Hamlet by Lura Beam
Northern Farm by Henry Beston
Green Mountain Farm by Elliot Merrick
Finished We Took To The Woods, and it was excellent! Really gave such an incredible and interesting look into living in the forests of Maine in the late 1930s. There's something about these memoirs that really captivates me.

I just started A Maine Hamlet by Lura Beam. I'm not the fastest reader (mainly because so many other distractions in 2021) but I am enjoying it so far. This one goes even further back to the turn of the century. I can't help but to think of my grandparents and their parents when I read these.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:42 PM

The Maine Hamlet by Lura Beam is an incredible read! Thanks to all of you who posted this. What a great, great memoir. I took so many notes from that book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine