Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:45 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,034,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
I will third Nine Mile Bridge. I read it last winter right after Annette Jackson's My Life In The Maine Woods which is set in the same part of Aroostook county about a decade earlier.
Great collection of books at your link!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 11:07 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,034,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post
In our rural town library, there are shelves upon shelves of old books about Maine written in the 1930s and 40s.

I just discovered author Louise Dickinson Rich. Her first of many subsequent books was a true page-turner and I highly recommend it: "We Took to the Woods" about her adventures living in a very remote cabin in the general area of Umbagog Lake back in the 1930s and 40s. (first printing 1942).

Another discovery is historical novel author Kenneth Roberts. His swashbuckling tale Northwest Passage kept me on the edge of my seat for more than 700 pages, even if the language was a bit archaic. This should be required reading for high schoolers in every American History class in Maine!

I know there are many, many others, and look forward to spending long winter nights reading and learning much more about Maine. Would love to hear more Maine book suggestions...
Recent article--sounds interesting: 90-year-old Presque Isle author celebrates release of new book - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/story/Living/90-year-old-Presque-Isle-author-celebrates-release-of-new-book,158667 - broken link)

Old 11-16-2010, 03:19 PM

393 posts, read 982,500 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestion about Nine Mile Bridge- I really enjoyed it.

For a bit of a different take on rural Maine: I just read a book by an outsider who moved to Maine, called "Man Bites Log" by Max Alexander. See how he deals (or doesn't) with the cultural and lifestyle differences. Some of his insights are quite amusing, others are quite profound. While many people may find his Big City attitudes a little off-putting, it is a good book for people from outside (especially from big cities) who hope to move to rural Maine someday. They will learn a lot, and will probably relate to his point of view, since all the other books about super self-sufficient native-born Mainers who can do just about anything can be a little intimidating to someone without that kind of life experience lol!

In a similar vein is "Running to the Mountain" by Jon Katz (the author of many books about dogs) - - the setting is VT.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:11 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,614,945 times
If your into easy to read mystery stories, "Murder on the Rocks (Gray Whale Inn Mysteries, No. 1)" was pretty good. I meant to keep reading the rest of the series but haven't got around to 'em yet.

"Trading in Texas heat for Maine's tangy salt air, Natalie Barnes risked it all to buy the Gray Whale Inn, a quaint bed and breakfast on Cranberry Island. She adores whipping up buttery muffins and other rich breakfast treats for her guests until Bernard Katz checks in.." - I Copied and pasted this from Amazon.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:31 PM

7 posts, read 14,910 times
Bert Dow

Old 11-19-2010, 09:23 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,171,577 times
Cracked Marbles by Tom Palmer MD

Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 PM

I've read a couple more mystery books set in Maine. Both were pretty good.

Danger Sector by Jennifer LeClaire

Shadows of a Down East Summer by Lea Wait

Old 12-08-2011, 03:10 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
What was the stephen king movie, with the whack-job fan/woman who wouldnt let the guy leave the house? she comes at him all squirrely and tries to break his legs (i've seen that look before) misery????

Old 12-08-2011, 03:40 PM

Yeah Misery, I think the movie was set in Colorado, don't know about the book.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:52 PM

489 posts, read 1,211,685 times
James Caan/Kathy Bates. " Misery". I think that's the one.

I received as a gift "The Coast of Maine". Author - Carl Heilman II. 240 pages of pictures. Book measures about 6"x8". Nice coffee table book. Beautiful pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine