Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 05:18 PM

827 posts, read 1,673,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett, of South Berwick, Maine, collected into "The Country of the Pointed Firs, and other Stories".

Her stories are a reflection of her contemporary life, which she lived on the seacoast of Maine in the late 19th century. These aren't so much plot driven stories as character vignettes. Perfect for reading on a cold, drizzly afternoon when you don't want to get deep into a full length novel that will consume a large block of time extending over days. Instead, after reading one her works, you will want look out onto the countryside and ponder that 130 years ago, Maine really was populated by the people described in her writing.
You can also tour her house in South Berwick as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 05:36 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,961 times
One of my favorites is "The Salt Book," edited by Pamela Wood. It was published last in 1977 I believe, but can be bought used on line. Great recipe for Sea Moss Pudding in it, among a bunch of other interesting stories.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:25 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,546,475 times
I'm digging up an old thread to add to it. According to the graphic I'm looking at just above the box I'm typing in, this is allowed.

John Ford, a retired Maine game warden, wrote Suddenly, The Cider Didn't Taste So Good. There's an interview with John on this link. Sounds like a great book. I ordered it this morning. Has anyone read it?

Old 06-04-2012, 08:34 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I'm digging up an old thread to add to it. According to the graphic I'm looking at just above the box I'm typing in, this is allowed.

John Ford, a retired Maine game warden, wrote Suddenly, The Cider Didn't Taste So Good. There's an interview with John on this link. Sounds like a great book. I ordered it this morning. Has anyone read it?
I looked at the book in Barnes & Noble and it looked very interesting. Some of the stories reminded me of some of my classmates back in the 60's & 70's.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

Have you written any E-books ? and sold on e-bay? (or anywhere else)

I think thats an intriguing, unconventional way to go public with a book

Old 06-04-2012, 10:08 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,946 times
I used to buy Salt Magazine back in the 70s-80s.There is also a Salt 2 book IIRC

Old 06-04-2012, 10:23 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,546,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I looked at the book in Barnes & Noble and it looked very interesting. Some of the stories reminded me of some of my classmates back in the 60's & 70's.
It sounds interesting. The story he tells in the interview is funny but other parts are serious. I'm eager to read the book. It should be here tomorrow or Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Have you written any E-books ? and sold on e-bay? (or anywhere else)

I think thats an intriguing, unconventional way to go public with a book
Long before they were known as ebooks I wrote non-fiction for cooperative extensions and small business management programs. None of it was particularly interesting. I quit the day job to write full time so maybe some day I'll have a book to sell. Ebooks are very popular now. They're a lot easier to publisher. For $100 someone will convert a manuscript to Kindle format and upload it to Amazon. The average cost to the publisher for a children's book from purchase to publication is $50,000 right now. I don't know what a novel costs them. I have around 100 books on my Kindle. It's a great tool. I still love a real book though.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:39 PM

722 posts, read 1,512,001 times
Sea Room by Norman Gautreau is an outstanding read A Coastal Maine family on a salt water farm set in WWII. Also Island of first Light by Gautreau as well. A divorced woman rents a cottage for the summer on a Maine Island and feels shut out and then becomes good friends with the Islands grumpy old man.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,754,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
One of my favorites is "The Salt Book," edited by Pamela Wood. It was published last in 1977 I believe, but can be bought used on line. Great recipe for Sea Moss Pudding in it, among a bunch of other interesting stories.
Great book and photos! I am so proud of my copy.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:52 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,754,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
Sea Room by Norman Gautreau is an outstanding read A Coastal Maine family on a salt water farm set in WWII. Also Island of first Light by Gautreau as well. A divorced woman rents a cottage for the summer on a Maine Island and feels shut out and then becomes good friends with the Islands grumpy old man.
Thanks for the recommendations. I will add them to my list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine