Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 06:23 PM

827 posts, read 1,673,240 times

Advertisements

Karen Lemke's Down East Detective, True Stories of the Maine State Police. Great reading.

I have an old book written by Bill Riviere called Backcountry Camping [Bill passed away in 2005 and was a North Berwick resident till he passed away.]

ALSO from a personal friend of mine David N Hilton York to the Allagash, Forest Fire Lookouts of Maine 1905 to 1991 [Dave passed away in 2003, he was a York firefighter, worked the fire tower on Mt Agementicus in York and was one of the founding members of the Southern Maine Fire Notification. A group who to this day operates the fire tower there and Mt Hope in Sanford and Opurtunity Hill in Waterboro.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 07:14 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,754,752 times
Just read the new Sarah Graves mystery set in Eastport. Her books are fantastic, as always!

I also finally read my first Stephen King book ever: 11/22/63. Part of it is set in Maine. Absolutely amazing. Not scary at all ( I hate scary books) Could not pit it down and finished it in days.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
I really liked the Lobster Coast by Colin Woodard. This book is a narrative non-fiction history of Maine/New England and is probably the best book on the history of Maine I have ever read.

The Lobster Coast: The Official Homepage at colinwoodard.com

Old 12-09-2011, 07:07 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,950 times
Excellent, excellent, excellent books! They're also kid-friendly for the most part (maybe a few 'colorful' words here and there).

They offer a great glimpse into the farms of the past and just how hard a job a farm vet has.

Plus, he was a great vet!

While You're Here, Doc: Farmyard Adventures of a Maine Veterinarian - Tilbury House

Just One More Thing, Doc: Further Farmyard Adventures of a Maine Veterinarian - Tilbury House

Old 12-09-2011, 07:38 PM

4,542 posts, read 12,409,026 times
Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett, of South Berwick, Maine, collected into "The Country of the Pointed Firs, and other Stories".

Her stories are a reflection of her contemporary life, which she lived on the seacoast of Maine in the late 19th century. These aren't so much plot driven stories as character vignettes. Perfect for reading on a cold, drizzly afternoon when you don't want to get deep into a full length novel that will consume a large block of time extending over days. Instead, after reading one her works, you will want look out onto the countryside and ponder that 130 years ago, Maine really was populated by the people described in her writing.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:39 AM

341 posts, read 641,674 times
Allen J. Sockabasin: An Upriver Passamaquoddy

A beautiful book!

Old 01-13-2012, 02:06 PM

885 posts, read 1,495,773 times
I remember as a kid going to my Grand Parents house in Camden. My grand father had tons of Edward Rowe Snow books that I would read. All sea tales.....
I have long been(3 years) a Kindle guy and am going to have to see if those are offered online at Amazon.....

Old 01-13-2012, 09:51 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,656,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP. View Post
Bert Dow

DOOOOOOWWWWW!!! That is perfect-haha.
Ruth Moore is a good,classic Maine author.
BJ Morrison wrote some good little mysteries set on MDI back in the 80s.
Also Gerry Boyle writes some good mysteries/crime books.Kind of Lehane Lite.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:54 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,656,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
What was the stephen king movie, with the whack-job fan/woman who wouldnt let the guy leave the house? she comes at him all squirrely and tries to break his legs (i've seen that look before) misery????

Kathy Bates won the oscar for Misery. She was great in Delores Claiborne-another Stephen King book.She can play a Mainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine