Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:16 PM

42 posts, read 306,949 times

Advertisements

I want to move to NY and my friend lives there and needs a roomate and said I should live with her... however she lives in Hempstead and I have heard not so good things about it. Of course she said "its not bad" but thats because she lives there so I really can not take her word for it.

I don't like to judge so I want to know.. is it safe? how is the crime rate? I am a young female is it safe for me for me to go out at night and come home late? What type of people live there? And NO i don't mean BLACK or HISPANIC (mexicans illegals etc) I myself am a Hispanic and I AM NOT RACIST... i just mean how is the environment , the surroundings? I live in good neighborhood where many people work make money own homes etc. .. will it be a huge diffrence in environment? what about job availability? and the drive into the city how far is it?

anything else i should know about it the area? any info would really help! And please no statistics.. i can google those myself.. i want info from people who live there or know the area for experience !

Thank You for your help in advance!!! =D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 07:32 PM

152 posts, read 548,149 times
If you can google statistics, they speak for themselves.

If you don't trust your friend, that speaks for itself.

You aleady know the answer this this question, but apparently need confirmation. Stay away from Hempstead.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:44 PM

I know its not the best area.. obviously.. but is it THAT BAD where i shouldn't live there? that is what im trying to find out... and Thanks for ur answer!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,720,371 times
Yes, it is that bad. The downtown is very run down even though there are some government buildings that keep it alive during the week. I hope your friend is able to find some place else to live soon.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 PM

152 posts, read 548,149 times
Yes it is that bad.

Why don't you come see it for yourself? Where are you moving from?

Old 05-19-2010, 08:13 PM

Yeah i can go see it but i still need to let her know if I will be living there or not. . . but from the looks of it, its a NO! she lives on the intersection of henry st and jerusalem ave area 11550 to be exact and i'm moving from Florida...

Old 05-19-2010, 08:27 PM

964 posts, read 2,463,942 times
There are some areas of Hempstead that actually aren't that bad. The area you mentioned unfortunately is crap. Stay away.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:37 PM

ok so NO hempstead!! lol but what is it the makes the area soo bad the crime? gangs and drugs?? AND what are some safe places to live ? =)

Old 05-20-2010, 04:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,720,371 times
Henry Street and Jerusalem is pretty awful. What makes it so bad? You named it, gangs, crime, drugs, and more. The downtown looks awful too even if there weren't any people. As for safe areas, what is your budget?

Old 05-20-2010, 05:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,320,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by info411 View Post
ok so NO hempstead!! lol but what is it the makes the area soo bad the crime? gangs and drugs?? AND what are some safe places to live ? =)
Yes gangs and drugs.

One street, Terrace Avenue, is infamous for having their satellite streetview pictures (mapquest, google, etc.) showing DRUG DEALS at any time of the night or day.

The gangs are terrible there. It is the hometown of Salvadorans With Pride, one of the most violent street gangs there is, who often wage war with their neighbors, MS-13, another infamous and violent gang. Innocent bystanders have been killed by them.

Walking around outside at night is definitely something you don't want to do there.

As for "driving to the City," if you mean commuting to Manhattan for work, hardly anyone does that. People use public transportation, such as the Long Island Rail Road, to commute to Manhattan.

If you live in a middle class area now, where people work for a living and act decent, it will be a bad change in environment for you.

Jobs in Hempstead are not plentiful.

Talk your friend into getting out of there if you want to share an apartment with her.

Where does your friend work? Where are you plannning to seek work? If we have that information, we can give you some suggestions for better neighborhoods that are affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island