Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:42 AM

42 posts, read 306,888 times

Advertisements

WOW!! Equal -Opp. i do not think that you should be offended by what other posters are saying...
Realistically Hempstead has is share of problems.. that is what I am understanding. Im sure I could live there with out a problem as many like yourself do.. however, clearly it is not the best or safest neighborhood out there. That is all people here are telling me. And if you are to blind to see the problems around you then your just being ignorant... im sure there are worst places then Hempstead, but to stay hempstead is a great safe clean community is an untrue statement..

Once again thanks to all the posters =)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:31 AM

584 posts, read 871,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by info411 View Post
WOW!! Equal -Opp. i do not think that you should be offended by what other posters are saying...
Realistically Hempstead has is share of problems.. that is what I am understanding. Im sure I could live there with out a problem as many like yourself do.. however, clearly it is not the best or safest neighborhood out there. That is all people here are telling me. And if you are to blind to see the problems around you then your just being ignorant... im sure there are worst places then Hempstead, but to stay hempstead is a great safe clean community is an untrue statement..

I am not ignorant to the problems around me I was trying to make a point about being fair. Their are problems with most neighborhoods on Long Island but it is not profiled in the same manner and that is a fact. Legally I can not put out what I do for a living but trust me I know what I am talking about.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by info411 View Post

Your instincts are correct. Hempstead is definitely the worst place in Nassau County on Long Island. There are a few pockets of it that have stayed nice, but renters like yourself and your friend won't get into them because they aren't the kind of neighborhoods that have apartment buildings, etc. They are an anomaly in Hempstead, not the norm.

I don't know enough about Suffolk (there might be worse places there than Hempstead) to say Hempstead's the worst place on the whole of Long Island, but I can say it is for Nassau County.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:13 PM

584 posts, read 871,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_li_but View Post
your instincts are correct. Hempstead is definitely the worst place in nassau county on long island. There are a few pockets of it that have stayed nice, but renters like yourself and your friend won't get into them because they aren't the kind of neighborhoods that have apartment buildings, etc. They are an anomaly in hempstead, not the norm.

I don't know enough about suffolk (there might be worse places there than hempstead) to say hempstead's the worst place on the whole of long island, but i can say it is for nassau county.
wow!!

Old 05-27-2010, 07:28 PM

Ok equal opp you keep mentioning that hempstead much worst that other places so what are some other places that are equally as bad?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:29 PM

ooo and what r some areas in hempstead that are not bad?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:34 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

I don't know enough about Suffolk (there might be worse places there than Hempstead) to say Hempstead's the worst place on the whole of Long Island, but I can say it is for Nassau County.
Roosevelt says hello

Old 05-28-2010, 12:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiser View Post
Roosevelt says hello
Not in Suffolk County. It's a rival for Hempstead in Nassau for sure.

Can you think of worse places in Suffolk than Hempstead?

I am not sure.

I hear horrible things about North Bellport, Wyandanch, Gordon Heights, etc., but don't really go out to Suffolk much. I used to drive through N. Bellport on Station Road frequently but that was years ago so maybe it's cleaned up. I got an eyeful but it still was no Hempstead.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:12 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,869 times
Id say Roosevelt is worse then Hempstead in Nassau County. At least Hempstead has some nice areas..

Old 05-28-2010, 11:53 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,512,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiser View Post
Id say Roosevelt is worse then Hempstead in Nassau County. At least Hempstead has some nice areas..
I gotta agree, there is nothing even a quarter as nice as Cathedral Gardens in Roosevelt....and there are some other neighborhoods in Hempstead that are either really nice or just average, typical Long Island. I used to say Hempstead was the worst (the bad neighborhoods are just as bad as the 'velt), but Terrace Ave used to be an absolute cesspool and the combined constant Hempstead PD presence and pressure from the Nassau County District Attorney's office has really cleaned it up. It's a totally different neighborhood from what it was a couple years ago. There are some OK parts of Roosevelt too, but all in all it's got the same level of grimey hood rat-ed-ness with almost none of the redeeming value.

As far as Suffolk goes, Wyandanch is actually scary. I don't really know it that well, but any time I'm there I feel like I'm in a rap video shot in Louisiana or something....and just based on looks alone, it seems worse than anything in Nassau, with the crime and poverty rates to match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island