Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 29,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudimmigrant View Post
I suggest spending time in Hempstead and draw your own conclusion.
i live in russia... and have no time to visit Hempstead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:29 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s _ agisheva View Post
i live in russia... and have no time to visit Hempstead
Then, pray tell, how are you doing the redevelopment plan for Hempstead if (A) you live in Russia and (B) you will not be visiting Hempstead at all? Is this some kind of joke?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Social problems caused by illegal immigrants and organized street gangs is the biggest obstacle facing Hempstead. Crack down on landlords who rent out single-family homes as flophouses/boarding houses and that would (hopefully) drive most of them OUT of town because there would be nowhere to live. Get that under control first, and then redevelopment would be an option. If redevelopment occurs first, nobody decent will come to Hempstead to take advantage of any new things built because of the existing social problems and crime. It will be a failure and waste of money.
thanks a lot for your reply.
i've never been in usa. i don't know a lot of your social problems. but as we see, the social problems in usa, russia, india and etc. are the same. the main problem underlies in quantity of either problem.
i'm an architect and there is a need to decide that kind of problems by architectural methods. and it's working - it's not only my thought. the architect designs a comfortable space to live, work, study... we have to act reasonably but fast before we run out of time. the countries can't decide it.
i've read all the posters. the main thing was - stay away from hempstead!! do you have your favorite, lovely places in hempstead where you feel yourself calmly, out of the crime???

Old 06-09-2010, 01:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s _ agisheva View Post
thanks a lot for your reply.
i've never been in usa. i don't know a lot of your social problems. but as we see, the social problems in usa, russia, india and etc. are the same. the main problem underlies in quantity of either problem.
i'm an architect and there is a need to decide that kind of problems by architectural methods. and it's working - it's not only my thought. the architect designs a comfortable space to live, work, study... we have to act reasonably but fast before we run out of time. the countries can't decide it.
i've read all the posters. the main thing was - stay away from hempstead!! do you have your favorite, lovely places in hempstead where you feel yourself calmly, out of the crime???
Not me. I avoid Hempstead, although sometimes I have to drive through it on a main road on the way to somewhere else.

Then, for example, while traveling east or west on Hempstead Tpke., I can play "obstacle course" with all the people actually walking in and out of traffic, driving erratically, etc. When travelling north or south on Franklin Ave. at night, I can see "he/she" transvestite hookers parading their wares right on the main road, outside of closed businesses near its northern-most part, and further south, see all the questionable characters hanging outside of the bars.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Then, pray tell, how are you doing the redevelopment plan for Hempstead if (A) you live in Russia and (B) you will not be visiting Hempstead at all? Is this some kind of joke?
so that's why i'm asking you to help!!! i know the problems but not so profoundly. do you know that masterplan can tell me more than you can tell me? it's like an open book. i see the real problems in the centre. if you have no order in architecture, urban design, you will have problems in social life.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:19 PM

is there anyone who has his/her favorite, lovely places in hempstead where you feel yourself calmly, out of the crime???

Old 07-28-2010, 10:33 AM

7 posts, read 33,352 times
Avoid Hempstead.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:41 AM

32 posts, read 164,223 times
Quote:
Not in Suffolk County. It's a rival for Hempstead in Nassau for sure.

Can you think of worse places in Suffolk than Hempstead?

I am not sure.

I hear horrible things about North Bellport, Wyandanch, Gordon Heights, etc., but don't really go out to Suffolk much. I used to drive through N. Bellport on Station Road frequently but that was years ago so maybe it's cleaned up. I got an eyeful but it still was no Hempstead.
Yeah, I would say that Brentwood and Wyandanch are worse than Hempstead overall. Hempstead's crime seem to be concentrated in just the village. ? this is how it sounds on this thread. Whereas most of Brentwood and Wyandanch are rough. North Bellport is very small, but it is very, very dangerous.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:01 AM

32 posts, read 164,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
wow @ this thread...i think i will have to take a run out to LI and see some of the hoods out there...i always used to drive down fulton avenue and i mean i could tell it was the hood but it didnt look necessarily bad to me...actually reminded me of merrick blvd in queens. i know terrace avenue is crap though...but places like wyandanch, central islip, are places i am unfamiliar with (dont go to suffolk often). my point is if you think these neighborhoods are hell on earth then many of you dont frequent the five boroughs that often. because i really dont feel that atmosphere when i have been to "hoods" on long island....im from far rock by the way
Hey Seventh...good to see you on a Strong Island thread lol. I often see you on the NYC threads. Yeah, it would be hard to say any area of the island is worse than Far Rockaway lol, but I'm sure there are parts of Brentwood, Wyandanch, Hempstead, Roosevelt that aren't too far off. Even North Bellport and Gordon Heights (part of Coram) although very small areas, have severe issues. Yes, I'm aware that these are still the suburbs, but from my experience traveling around the U.S., these "suburbs" are more urban and have more urban problems than most American suburbs.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:49 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL631 View Post
Hempstead's crime seem to be concentrated in just the village. ?
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island