Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:03 AM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I gotta agree, there is nothing even a quarter as nice as Cathedral Gardens in Roosevelt....and there are some other neighborhoods in Hempstead that are either really nice or just average, typical Long Island. I used to say Hempstead was the worst (the bad neighborhoods are just as bad as the 'velt), but Terrace Ave used to be an absolute cesspool and the combined constant Hempstead PD presence and pressure from the Nassau County District Attorney's office has really cleaned it up. It's a totally different neighborhood from what it was a couple years ago. There are some OK parts of Roosevelt too, but all in all it's got the same level of grimey hood rat-ed-ness with almost none of the redeeming value.

As far as Suffolk goes, Wyandanch is actually scary. I don't really know it that well, but any time I'm there I feel like I'm in a rap video shot in Louisiana or something....and just based on looks alone, it seems worse than anything in Nassau, with the crime and poverty rates to match.
wow @ this thread...i think i will have to take a run out to LI and see some of the hoods out there...i always used to drive down fulton avenue and i mean i could tell it was the hood but it didnt look necessarily bad to me...actually reminded me of merrick blvd in queens. i know terrace avenue is crap though...but places like wyandanch, central islip, are places i am unfamiliar with (dont go to suffolk often). my point is if you think these neighborhoods are hell on earth then many of you dont frequent the five boroughs that often. because i really dont feel that atmosphere when i have been to "hoods" on long island....im from far rock by the way

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 10:47 PM

42 posts, read 306,804 times
So I've decided not to move to LI and to move into the city with a roomate! Any ideas on where I could start looking that is not INSANE expensive?!?

Old 06-07-2010, 05:27 PM

4 posts, read 54,977 times
I would said that if you want to stay in the nassau area then try areas like East Meadows, Levittown, Bethpage, Hicksville, Mineola, Merrick. Suffolk is a whole different story. It depends on how far you want to be out on the Island. You have Melville, Farmingdale, Babylon, Deer Park which are relatively closer to Nassau. But then further out there is commack, Kings Park, Farmingville, and so on and so forth.... Way out like shirley, riverhead.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:28 PM

But to the other posters, I have hung out in both hempstead, roosevelt, and many other areas you would call "HOOD", and I would have to say that there is some real over-reactors here. I would not suggest that these are the greatest of areas but, it is easier to judge if you have not lived or interacted with people of these areas. Like some have suggested you should atleast for your own benefit go during the day and check it out. Most of the time it just like any other town, people on the move going where they have to go. Kids going or coming from school, and things of that nature. And those that have not been out to suffolk county,there way far more dangerous towns out there then hempstead, regardless weather your there day or night. Brentwood, (Parts of) Center Islip, Wheatley Heights, Wyndance,(Parts of) Amityville.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:31 PM

wow @ this thread...i think i will have to take a run out to LI and see some of the hoods out there...i always used to drive down fulton avenue and i mean i could tell it was the hood but it didnt look necessarily bad to me...actually reminded me of merrick blvd in queens. i know terrace avenue is crap though...but places like wyandanch, central islip, are places i am unfamiliar with (dont go to suffolk often). my point is if you think these neighborhoods are hell on earth then many of you dont frequent the five boroughs that often. because i really dont feel that atmosphere when i have been to "hoods" on long island....im from far rock by the way

Agreed

Old 06-07-2010, 06:42 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treflip2bsts View Post
Suffolk is a whole different story. It depends on how far you want to be out on the Island. You have Melville, Farmingdale, Babylon, Deer Park which are relatively closer to Nassau.

I guess you're referring to East Farmingdale, a hamlet in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County.

(The Village of Farmingdale and the Hamlet of South Farmingdale are in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County.)

Old 06-07-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
I guess you're referring to East Farmingdale, a hamlet in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County.

(The Village of Farmingdale and the Hamlet of South Farmingdale are in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County.)

Yes thank you, East Farmingdale

Old 06-09-2010, 12:43 AM

5 posts, read 29,049 times
hi everyone,
i'm not from this area. there is a competition about hempstead. i'm doing a redevelopment of this downtown and there is a need to understand the real problems of the place: social problems? traffic? dwelling? commercial? work? ....
thanks

Old 06-09-2010, 06:38 AM

63 posts, read 238,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s _ agisheva View Post
hi everyone,
i'm not from this area. there is a competition about hempstead. i'm doing a redevelopment of this downtown and there is a need to understand the real problems of the place: social problems? traffic? dwelling? commercial? work? ....
thanks
I suggest spending time in Hempstead and draw your own conclusion.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s _ agisheva View Post
hi everyone,
thanks
Social problems caused by illegal immigrants and organized street gangs is the biggest obstacle facing Hempstead. Crack down on landlords who rent out single-family homes as flophouses/boarding houses and that would (hopefully) drive most of them OUT of town because there would be nowhere to live. Get that under control first, and then redevelopment would be an option. If redevelopment occurs first, nobody decent will come to Hempstead to take advantage of any new things built because of the existing social problems and crime. It will be a failure and waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island