Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:11 AM

527 posts, read 1,019,719 times

Advertisements

thanks for all the feedback please keep it coming- i am pulling my hair out! I am waiting for my co op to sell here in whitestone so i can buy! i am addicted looking at these houses online- I am gathering to stay away from medford from everyones feedback- can everyone give me their feed back on the other areas? selden, centereach, lindenhurst, port jeff station? thanks again so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I worked out of a real estate office in Lindenhurst a while back and got to know the area fairly well (besides having lived in Babylon).

Grand Ave. is a fairly busy street and it's "feel" changes depending on location. It starts at Webster, which runs parallel to Sunrise Hwy, and goes south, crosses No. & So. RR Ave; it gets more commercial around E. John St. and continues south until it leads into E. Hoffman, which runs along the LIRR tracks - pretty much an industrial area.

As with most areas, both Lindenhurst and Deer Park have "nice" areas and "not so nice" areas. Of course everyone's tolerance is different--what I might find acceptable may not work for you, or vice versa... very subjective . Often the price is an indication, but occasionally, you can find a hidden gem...

Not sure this helps...
It helps! the address i was looking at was 58 grand ave

Old 01-06-2010, 04:49 PM

7 posts, read 27,438 times
We used to be neighbors! I grew up in Flushing, my mother now lives in Whitestone. I actually moved out here a few years ago and live in Kings Park. I think the houses really range in price, but might be worth a look (not too sure about the pool thing though). I travel back to visit my mother and it takes me about 45 min.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:51 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq797 View Post
We used to be neighbors! I grew up in Flushing, my mother now lives in Whitestone. I actually moved out here a few years ago and live in Kings Park. I think the houses really range in price, but might be worth a look (not too sure about the pool thing though). I travel back to visit my mother and it takes me about 45 min.
Kings Park is a very nice area - the price range might be a bit tough though and how important is that pool???

Old 01-07-2010, 07:20 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Kings Park is a very nice area - the price range might be a bit tough though and how important is that pool???

Personally I look at pools as a liability when I look at houses...having small children, the upkeep, the increase in taxes. Not worth it to me. I've seen houses listed between 350K and 400K with in ground pools..that's listing, which means it will sell for less.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq797 View Post
I lived in flushing (the hill) also! i have been in whitestone for 15yrs now-

Old 01-07-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Personally I look at pools as a liability when I look at houses...having small children, the upkeep, the increase in taxes. Not worth it to me. I've seen houses listed between 350K and 400K with in ground pools..that's listing, which means it will sell for less.
I really want the pool - the houses you saw were in lindenhurst? I see 2 on mls right now w inground- do you recommend lindenhurst? how do you feel about the area? thanks- I really dont mind it being a "busy" area, i dont want to feel i am "living in the boon docks"

Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
I really want the pool - the houses you saw were in lindenhurst? I see 2 on mls right now w inground- do you recommend lindenhurst? how do you feel about the area? thanks- I really dont mind it being a "busy" area, i dont want to feel i am "living in the boon docks"
I've seen them in Connetquot and Sachem SD's as well.

Lindenhurst is a decent area..kind of bordered by not decent areas. I love the little downtown.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:29 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,475 times
Jacknyc
Buy the house you like.No pool?you can put one in brand new no problems

Old 01-07-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I've seen them in Connetquot and Sachem SD's as well.

Lindenhurst is a decent area..kind of bordered by not decent areas. I love the little downtown.
thanks i dont know those schools/areas- i dont have kids, but i know the district tells you alot about the area- I am a little lost, I am a total queens girl and the only LI I know is basically Nassau county and when i say nassau its the towns close by, great neck, NHP, garden city etc. I guess in the next couple of weeks i really have to get myself in gear and take a drive- How close are these crappy areas? Like for instance I live in whitestone which is real nice, but 10 minutes away i can be in Jamaica which is not or 10 minutes another way i can be in corona which isnt great either- but then again even though they are only 10 minutes away i am never there- thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island