Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 5,173 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are planning on moving to Rocky Point LI. We have an almost 2 year old boy and have found the perfect house near the beach.
Needs some work but we're willing to do it.

We are both from Queens and are tired of the city life and can't wait to make the transition to suburbia.

Can anyone give us some insight as far as the pros/cons of making this large move?
Also I have friends that commute on the Port Jeff LIRR line and they aren't too please since it takes forever for them to get into Penn.
That's what I will be doing. I took a look at the schedule and we're look looking at appx a 90+ min commute.. is that right???

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 11:44 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,752,710 times
You might want to consider driving to the Ronkonkoma train station -- some of the trains in are 1 hour. It's not as close as PJ, though.

I lived in Rocky Point in the early to mid 90's and I loved it then.

Best wishes on your new home

Old 08-18-2008, 12:15 PM

187 posts, read 863,973 times
Agreed on the Ronkonkoma station as an alternative - although if the difference in the train ride is 30 minutes, remember that it will probably take you around 20-30 minutes to drive to Ronk. anyhow. and parking can be tough there depending on what time you'd arrive..

Old 08-18-2008, 12:24 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,521,701 times
I just moved to the area from Utah...so I understand the big move! I live just west of Rocky Point (Sound Beach)...but since SB is tiny and has very little besides houses...almost everything we need is in RP. It is a great place to live...and you'll love it by the water.

I also have a 2 year old (and a 1 year old)...and we have found some great local things for the kids here.

Feel free to PM me about anything specific you need. There are also some others who live in RP who I am sure will help.

Good luck...it's really nice out here.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:01 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,188,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I just moved to the area from Utah...so I understand the big move! I live just west of Rocky Point (Sound Beach)...but since SB is tiny and has very little besides houses...almost everything we need is in RP. It is a great place to live...and you'll love it by the water.

I also have a 2 year old (and a 1 year old)...and we have found some great local things for the kids here.

Feel free to PM me about anything specific you need. There are also some others who live in RP who I am sure will help.

Good luck...it's really nice out here.

Rocky Point is the best bang for the buck on the North Shore.
(Only 60 miles from NYC and a fairly well kept secret too)

The commute out of Ronkonkoma is the best bet time wise, but I got to admit Port Jeff is nice and quiet for sleeping and youll always get good parking and a seat.
(You save about 15 min door to door from Ronkonkoma)

Great Schools, reasonable taxes, spectacular sunsets,3 miles of Beachfront and a 5000 acre Nature preserve but above all ...
an amazing sense of Community.

Be sure to get involved in the local Civic association and beach clubs.

I love it here.

We're proud to call it home.

crookhaven

Old 08-18-2008, 01:14 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,711,634 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Rocky Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHMom32 View Post
My husband and I are planning on moving to Rocky Point LI.

Coming from the "City", you may not know that Rocky Point is a hamlet in the Town of Brookhaven, and like every other village and hamlet in Suffolk County, has a different border than the same named ZIP Code postal zone ("Rocky Point, NY 11778").

For those who may not be familiar with Rocky Point:

Rocky Point is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the north central part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Rocky Point in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Sound Beach and Long Island Sound; on the east by the Village of Shoreham and the Hamlet of East Shoreham and the Hamlet of Ridge; on the south by the Hamlet of Middle Island; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Miller Place and the Hamlet of Sound Beach.

The Hamlet of Rocky Point has a different border than does the "Rocky Point, NY 11778" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Rocky Point and a place can have other than a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Rocky Point): places that have a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Rocky Point are in the Hamlet of Sound Beach; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Rocky Point that have a "Shoreham, NY 11786" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 03-12-2009, 10:10 AM

19 posts, read 195,973 times
We are also hunting for a house in RP, NY... how long is it going to be door to door from RP to downtown Manhattan? Is it worth moving to RP and commute NYC daily?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:28 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,427,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Rocky Point is the best bang for the buck on the North Shore.
(Only 60 miles from NYC and a fairly well kept secret too)

The commute out of Ronkonkoma is the best bet time wise, but I got to admit Port Jeff is nice and quiet for sleeping and youll always get good parking and a seat.
(You save about 15 min door to door from Ronkonkoma)

Great Schools, reasonable taxes, spectacular sunsets,3 miles of Beachfront and a 5000 acre Nature preserve but above all ...
an amazing sense of Community.

Be sure to get involved in the local Civic association and beach clubs.

I love it here.

We're proud to call it home.

crookhaven
It's not going to be a secret for long if you keep blabing about it!

Old 03-12-2009, 11:26 AM

6,385 posts, read 13,174,008 times
Door to door to downtown NYC....

25 mins to Ronkonkoma train station from RP
80 mins to Penn Station
15 mins to downtown
10 minute walk to job

= Just figure 2 hours. Which is to dang long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Shaikh View Post
We are also hunting for a house in RP, NY... how long is it going to be door to door from RP to downtown Manhattan? Is it worth moving to RP and commute NYC daily?

Old 03-12-2009, 11:30 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,333,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
It's not going to be a secret for long if you keep blabing about it
If all the blabbing is not 100% accurate, then it doesn't matter if the secret gets out, as the place will be mostly rejected anyway. For example, the schools there are not "great," especially when compared to the rest of them in the LI arena, and anyone who cares about their kid graduating from a decent high school would avoid the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island