Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 08:07 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
Cost of living in NYC isn't exactly cheap, for most this isn't a strong consideration when the average cost of a studio apartment in the city is now over $3k a month PLUS city income tax.

s.
What does that have to do with what I posted? I said nothing about the cost of taxes, let alone relative to NYC.

The OP's argument is that transplants from the city, specifically, will bring in more tax revenue by buying houses on LI, which doesn't make sense unless they come out here and build a whole bunch of new houses that add to the tax base, or start businesses that do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post

The "rising tide lifts all boats" theory of education has been tried, unsuccessfully, for decades. The mere presence of Asian or other higher-achieving students doesn't make a kid from a broken home smarter.
Again, not what I said.

My daughter has plenty of Asian friends that play basketball, volleyball, cheerlead, work at normal teenage jobs etc etc. The idea that all they do is study and play the piano is true for some, but not all.

You can post whatever you want without erroneously quoting people, you know.

Old 01-02-2024, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
What city is this in NC?
Cary.

Old 01-02-2024, 08:43 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
What does that have to do with what I posted? I said nothing about the cost of taxes, let alone relative to NYC.

The OP's argument is that transplants from the city, specifically, will bring in more tax revenue by buying houses on LI, which doesn't make sense unless they come out here and build a whole bunch of new houses that add to the tax base, or start businesses that do the same.
You are correct. The ops assertion makes zero sense.

And I also agree, the ridiculous assumption on this forum that every Asian is a Yale bound, instrument playing mathlete with a crazy academic obsessed tiger mom is just dumb and not reality.

Old 01-03-2024, 05:53 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,707,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post

And I also agree, the ridiculous assumption on this forum that every Asian is a Yale bound, instrument playing mathlete with a crazy academic obsessed tiger mom is just dumb and not reality.
I'm proof of that reality.... Asian american... didnt go to yale... suck at math.....

Old 01-03-2024, 08:47 AM

1,302 posts, read 335,745 times
Quote:

No one is claiming that every Asian is an academic over achiever. Some (and I can understand why) seem to take great offense at the fact that ON AVERAGE Asians tend to outperform their peers (with the exception of Jews) at school.

Look at it this way. A burger from a very good diner and a steakhouse are both burgers. They’re both edible and will do the job. One is just preferable to the other because it’s objectively a better product. That doesn’t mean if I can’t have a steakhouse burger then I won’t eat burgers at all. In fact, I rarely have a steakhouse burger and I eat plenty of burgers.

If I have a choice, I’ll send my kids to a higher percentage Asian/Jewish school. That doesn’t mean other schools are bad.

Old 01-03-2024, 11:32 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
No one is claiming that every Asian is an academic over achiever. Some (and I can understand why) seem to take great offense at the fact that ON AVERAGE Asians tend to outperform their peers (with the exception of Jews) at school.

Look at it this way. A burger from a very good diner and a steakhouse are both burgers. They’re both edible and will do the job. One is just preferable to the other because it’s objectively a better product. That doesn’t mean if I can’t have a steakhouse burger then I won’t eat burgers at all. In fact, I rarely have a steakhouse burger and I eat plenty of burgers.

If I have a choice, I’ll send my kids to a higher percentage Asian/Jewish school. That doesn’t mean other schools are bad.
People imply it all the time on this forum

Old 01-03-2024, 12:04 PM

1,969 posts, read 2,709,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Cary.
Containment Area for Relocated Yankees

Old 01-03-2024, 12:08 PM

1,969 posts, read 2,709,945 times
Quote:
every Asian is a Yale bound.
They ought to shoot for Harvard. Jewish applications on a dramatic decline.

Old 01-03-2024, 12:17 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,331,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post

Bottom line is Jewish and Asian areas are generally nice low crime areas with good schools. This isn't a NYC metro thing, it applies to most of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island