Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 01:40 PM

1,302 posts, read 326,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
what "research" did you do? What seemed "off"?

why did you assume that?

seems like you're operating with a nice mix of baseless assumptions and broad generalizations.

My take: most of Merrick has always been a bit nicer than most of Oceanside (for a wide variety of reasons) but there's not a wide gulf between them.

I will say that IMO, Oceanside is somewhat unique in that it has a wide spectrum of mini neighborhoods that can make you feel like you're in areas ranging from Hempstead to RVC - and all types in between.
Your last paragraph just proved the others posters point as well as mine. This is something that’s expected in NYC. It’s a problem in the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 03:09 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
Your last paragraph just proved the others posters point as well as mine. This is something that’s expected in NYC. It’s a problem in the burbs.
But it's been that way for a LONG time. Nothing has changed. You're only showing your complete unfamiliarity with the area - and LI suburbs in general. The vast majority of them are extremely similar to what they were decades ago. They're just a lot more expensive. If your "research" consisted of something more substantial than spending 10 minutes on zillow, you may have figured that out.

Old 01-05-2024, 04:44 PM

249 posts, read 124,363 times
If I had my druthers between Merrick and Oceanside, it wouldn't even be close. I'd choose Merrick every time.

Old 01-05-2024, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
But it's been that way for a LONG time. Nothing has changed. You're only showing your complete unfamiliarity with the area - and LI suburbs in general. The vast majority of them are extremely similar to what they were decades ago. They're just a lot more expensive. If your "research" consisted of something more substantial than spending 10 minutes on zillow, you may have figured that out.
I’m not sure what your argument is? What are you exactly claiming? No ones arguing that Oceanside is bad. Just that if someone is willing to spend $850K on a home, there are better places to do it.

Old 01-05-2024, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivienL View Post
If I had my druthers between Merrick and Oceanside, it wouldn't even be close. I'd choose Merrick every time.

Any particular reason(s)?

Old 01-05-2024, 05:11 PM

184 posts, read 227,923 times
I rented in Oceanside for years before buying a house in Merrick. There’s a reason I didn’t even consider Oceanside when looking to buy.

Old 01-05-2024, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post
I rented in Oceanside for years before buying a house in Merrick. There’s a reason I didn’t even consider Oceanside when looking to buy.
Any possibility of elaborating?

Old 01-05-2024, 08:21 PM

33 posts, read 14,685 times
Oceanside was a town we were considering, but when we found a house in Merrick that was within our budget we jumped on it. If we are comparing Oceanside and Merrick, I’ll list some reasons why I find Merrick more desirable:

-Traffic along Long Beach Road in Oceanside is miserable
-Oceanside is almost entirely in a flood zone, except for the northern part bordering RVC
-Merrick’s neighborhoods are prettier, with lots of trees and a wider variety of house styles. Oceanside tends to be very cookie cutter
-Merrick is much more accessible to parkways
-Schools are rated higher in Merrick

Old 01-06-2024, 06:45 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Go to both towns and you’ll see. And yes the Oceanside traffic is just miserable.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:44 AM

249 posts, read 124,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
Any particular reason(s)?
Quality. There is no Lawson Blvd/Oil City equivalent in Merrick. There are no big box stores in Merrick. There are very few (if any) empty storefronts in Merrick. There are a number of different, beautiful, well-maintained neighborhoods in Merrick. There are lots of wonderful restaurants in Merrick.

The only benefit Oceanside has over Merrick, IMO, is proximity to Long Beach (specifically the boardwalk).

I've lived in both towns. Merrick is just more elegant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island