Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 07:36 AM

1,253 posts, read 313,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The Cliff’s Notes version:
It was ok until the late 70’s to early 80’s. Then it rapidly went downhill.
The schools were ALWAYS mediocre. There was definitely a degenerate culture throughout, but it was kept in check by the once sizable Jewish population. The Jews that actually utilized the schools are what kept Oceanside from ranking on par with like Hempstead or Roosevelt. Lot of hooligan behaviour and drugs with the kids(think of the 1979 movie “Over the edge” with Matt Dillon). The 80’s came along with some prosperity, and as a result, a massive influx of people from Queens(white flight). Every last piece of vacant land was built on, strip malls everywhere. The Sands mega shopping center had a huge impact as well. For whatever reason, I have no idea, the Jewish population declined greatly by the mid 90’s. Coincidentally this was I believe the period that Oceanside schools began to perform highly with rankings. This only lasted a few years, but the impact it had on the community and especially the school district employees was enormous. And they didn’t want to lose that status($) or bragging rights as the numbers began to dip so they did whatever was necessary to keep the numbers inflated, even though by this time some high school students could barely do math or tie their shoelaces the right way.

Oceanside has always been plagued by property crime, like burglaries, vandalism, etc…kids liked to fight and get into all kinds of trouble but before the internet most of this stuff was kept on the DL. There have been a few high profile murders throughout recent history as well. As Oceanside became a shopping mecca it brought biblical amounts of traffic, and undesirables along with it. Due to it’s proximity to less than lovely areas it has been plagued by crime in recent years, car theft, robbery’s, assaults, etc…although the residents downplay it(oh crime is everywhere blah blah blah).

Ask anyone who has to travel through Oceanside about the absolutely off the charts bananas traffic.
Due to its location, getting anywhere is nothing short of a battle. Access to parkways and other major roadways is ridonkulous. The closest you got is Sunrise and it takes 1/2 hour to get there from any points south in Oceanside.

Merrick, Wantagh, Seaford, would be far superior choices.
Thank you. Makes sense and I can read between the lines. I’m familiar with how these things go. It only takes a decade to transform a neighborhood enough to see substantial differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2024, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
There are only six homes up to $850,000 in Plainview - never mind five splits.
Two Hi Ranches, two splits, and two Expanded Capes.

As I stated before, extremely low inventory.
Anyone can go on Zillow and see that prices aren’t dropping substantially anytime soon. Any recently renovated home in the $800K+ range has over 100 saves within the first week which means there are at least 10 serious buyers looking at the house. Closer to a month some homes have 300-500 saves. At that point it’s a done deal to close at asking or above.

Old 01-04-2024, 02:32 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
Anyone can go on Zillow and see that prices aren’t dropping substantially anytime soon. Any recently renovated home in the $800K+ range has over 100 saves within the first week which means there are at least 10 serious buyers looking at the house. Closer to a month some homes have 300-500 saves. At that point it’s a done deal to close at asking or above.
My neighbor who sold told me they had a bidding war over his house. He sold it for almost $50k more than listed.

Old 01-05-2024, 07:33 AM

137 posts, read 102,289 times
Quote:
One more thing you should know, any south shore area that south of merrick Road is prone to hurricane damage and flooding. You would probably need to purchase flood insurance. Just something to consider. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2024, 09:36 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The Cliff’s Notes version:
It was ok until the late 70’s to early 80’s. Then it rapidly went downhill.
The schools were ALWAYS mediocre. There was definitely a degenerate culture throughout, but it was kept in check by the once sizable Jewish population. The Jews that actually utilized the schools are what kept Oceanside from ranking on par with like Hempstead or Roosevelt. Lot of hooligan behaviour and drugs with the kids(think of the 1979 movie “Over the edge” with Matt Dillon). The 80’s came along with some prosperity, and as a result, a massive influx of people from Queens(white flight). Every last piece of vacant land was built on, strip malls everywhere. The Sands mega shopping center had a huge impact as well. For whatever reason, I have no idea, the Jewish population declined greatly by the mid 90’s. Coincidentally this was I believe the period that Oceanside schools began to perform highly with rankings. This only lasted a few years, but the impact it had on the community and especially the school district employees was enormous. And they didn’t want to lose that status($) or bragging rights as the numbers began to dip so they did whatever was necessary to keep the numbers inflated, even though by this time some high school students could barely do math or tie their shoelaces the right way.

Oceanside has always been plagued by property crime, like burglaries, vandalism, etc…kids liked to fight and get into all kinds of trouble but before the internet most of this stuff was kept on the DL. There have been a few high profile murders throughout recent history as well. As Oceanside became a shopping mecca it brought biblical amounts of traffic, and undesirables along with it. Due to it’s proximity to less than lovely areas it has been plagued by crime in recent years, car theft, robbery’s, assaults, etc…although the residents downplay it(oh crime is everywhere blah blah blah).

Ask anyone who has to travel through Oceanside about the absolutely off the charts bananas traffic.
Due to its location, getting anywhere is nothing short of a battle. Access to parkways and other major roadways is ridonkulous. The closest you got is Sunrise and it takes 1/2 hour to get there from any points south in Oceanside.

Merrick, Wantagh, Seaford, would be far superior choices.
Over the Edge? Great movie! But I don't think anyone in Oceanside has ever burned down the school or killed a cop!
High profile murders? What does that have to do with anything? Are you likely to be murdered if you move to Oceanside? WTF?
Overall: nice mix of the truth, the usual unhinged nonsense hotkarl, and your basic life in suburbia QOL issues/concerns.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBlonde View Post
One more thing you should know, any south shore area that south of merrick Road is prone to hurricane damage and flooding. You would probably need to purchase flood insurance. Just something to consider. Good luck!
Thank you! Those areas are somewhat off the table unless a really good deal comes up. I experienced the damage wrought by Hurricane Sandy and would like to avoid a repeat since it’s just a matter of time.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Over the Edge? Great movie! But I don't think anyone in Oceanside has ever burned down the school or killed a cop!
High profile murders? What does that have to do with anything? Are you likely to be murdered if you move to Oceanside? WTF?
Overall: nice mix of the truth, the usual unhinged nonsense hotkarl, and your basic life in suburbia QOL issues/concerns.
TBH, if you read between the lines, I think this posters narrative makes sense. I have no experience with Oceanside but doing research on it, something seemed off . Ostensibly, it should be no different than Merrick but prices say otherwise. Usually money talks and a discount usually means there are underlying issues.

Old 01-05-2024, 10:01 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
Quote:
TBH, if you read between the lines, I think this posters narrative makes sense. I have no experience with Oceanside but doing research on it, something seemed off
what "research" did you do? What seemed "off"?
Quote:
Ostensibly, it should be no different than Merrick
why did you assume that?
Quote:
but prices say otherwise. Usually money talks and a discount usually means there are underlying issues.
seems like you're operating with a nice mix of baseless assumptions and broad generalizations.

My take: most of Merrick has always been a bit nicer than most of Oceanside (for a wide variety of reasons) but there's not a wide gulf between them.

I will say that IMO, Oceanside is somewhat unique in that it has a wide spectrum of mini neighborhoods that can make you feel like you're in areas ranging from Hempstead to RVC - and all types in between.

Old 01-05-2024, 10:33 AM

34,035 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
what "research" did you do? What seemed "off"?

why did you assume that?

seems like you're operating with a nice mix of baseless assumptions and broad generalizations.

My take: most of Merrick has always been a bit nicer than most of Oceanside (for a wide variety of reasons) but there's not a wide gulf between them.

I will say that IMO, Oceanside is somewhat unique in that it has a wide spectrum of mini neighborhoods that can make you feel like you're in areas ranging from Hempstead to RVC - and all types in between.
I'm curious, what parts of Oceanside resemble Hempstead? I pass through once in a while but I'm unfamiliar with the hamlet as a whole.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-05-2024, 12:42 PM

33 posts, read 14,621 times
Merrick is a great choice. Whether you are zoned for JFK High School or Calhoun, the schools are great. My wife and I just bought in North Merrick and are zoned for Camp Avenue Elementary school and Calhoun HS. Neighborhood is nice, people are generally down to earth. We love the fact we can get to both the Meadowbrook and SSP in less than five minutes. There is a decent house for sale down the block from me asking $669K. $850K can get you something pretty nice in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island