Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 07:25 PM

31,919 posts, read 26,999,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
He can "get out the gate" all he wants. Ultimately it's up to the dem party leadership, not him or the voters to get on the ballot for the special election.
Told you so!

https://nypost.com/2023/12/03/metro/...d-santos-seat/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 08:21 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
This story gets zero traction outside of Long Island, I assure you. And the Santos vote isn't even the first thing the GOP has failed on this very month. They're mostly losers, and I want them all gone and replaced by frothing MAGA lunatics who know how to win.
My parents who haven't lived on LI in over a decade have brought up Santos, as well as others I know who have little connection to Long Island and aren't exactly political needs. This has gotten traction not just here, but countrywide. Republicans in pretty much every competitive district voted to oust that says quite a bit of the drag they felt he is

Old 12-03-2023, 09:34 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,531,251 times
FWIW, Santos has endorsed Mike Sapraicone for the upcoming special election to replace him, although I can't imagine anyone wanting to take his endorsement...

If Anyone Cares: George Santos Makes Endorsement in Race to Replace Him - The Messenger

Old 12-04-2023, 09:00 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
I never said he wouldn't be the eventual nominee. I was just saying it's not up to him (or the voters) whatsoever which it isn't. Still it not over until its over, although its likely him until an announcement is made nothing is official.

Old 12-04-2023, 11:56 AM

31,919 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I never said he wouldn't be the eventual nominee. I was just saying it's not up to him (or the voters) whatsoever which it isn't. Still it not over until its over, although its likely him until an announcement is made nothing is official.
Dems are going to go with Suzzoi because of name value.

Voter apathy in NY is off the hook so whoever wins this special election (which historically have very low turn out) likely will also prevail for primary and general election later on.

OTOH even if Suzzoi does prevail in special election he only has a few months before primaries start for that seat. Hopefully some young bloods will take a page from AOC and challenge Suzzoi, again assuming he's the democrat's man.

Old 12-04-2023, 01:10 PM

427 posts, read 155,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
My parents who haven't lived on LI in over a decade have brought up Santos, as well as others I know who have little connection to Long Island and aren't exactly political needs. This has gotten traction not just here, but countrywide. Republicans in pretty much every competitive district voted to oust that says quite a bit of the drag they felt he is
Fair enough. But that says more about the weakness of the GOP than about how "important" this story really is. Democrats do horrid stuff all the time - they're doing it right now - but their side circles the wagons. Helps that they control the media megaphone so you either won't hear about what they're doing or it will be buried under more Santos stories.

Old 12-04-2023, 03:06 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
Fair enough. But that says more about the weakness of the GOP than about how "important" this story really is. Democrats do horrid stuff all the time - they're doing it right now - but their side circles the wagons. Helps that they control the media megaphone so you either won't hear about what they're doing or it will be buried under more Santos stories.
Putting aside differences in opinion on what side does what or what is important, etc, Santos's situation was quite unique, we really haven't seen anything like it. He is gone because enough Republicans either felt his actions went too far, and/or felt that not kicking him out hurt them more politically than potentially losing the seat in a special election. Charging credit cards of fellow members of Congress and their families to your campaign without their consent likely doesn't sit well with fellow members of Congress.

To the point of those in competitive districts, out of the 20 seats held by Republicans ranked as either tossups or barely/lean Republican according to Sabato (there are a bunch of these who rate races, so lists could somewhat vary though most are pretty close) 18 of those voted to oust Santos. The two that didn't were Santos himself obviously and Boebert. 8 of the 13 in the likely Republican category voted to oust. So out of the 32 seats with Incumbent Republicans running in them next year viewed as competitive or potentially competitive 27 voted to oust Santos. This leads me to believe many of them felt it is important.

As a side note, guess who is now on Cameo

Old 12-04-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Dems are going to go with Suzzoi because of name value.

Voter apathy in NY is off the hook so whoever wins this special election (which historically have very low turn out) likely will also prevail for primary and general election later on.

OTOH even if Suzzoi does prevail in special election he only has a few months before primaries start for that seat. Hopefully some young bloods will take a page from AOC and challenge Suzzoi, again assuming he's the democrat's man.
Of course they are. You have to remember this district may not even exist next November so the whole thing could end up being moot either way

Old 12-04-2023, 06:31 PM

https://www.newsday.com/entertainmen...s-hbo-yvts4lmg

Looks like santos the movie is coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island