Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 11:10 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,049,631 times

Advertisements

It funny reading all these post about Migrants in TX. Yes they are at the border but we ship them to you. I am in the Dallas area and there are none that I have seen or heard about. I know Dallas had some ay one time but they bussed them out. I am sure there are some that are walking around out there, maybe mowing lawns

As far as crime, yeah could be bad, stay out of "Dallas". Democratic run city so anything goes

The heat is getting very very old, every summer seems hotter and hotter. There is no Spring or Fall. If you have to do something outside in the summer, you better be up early and finished by 12. It really suxs. Wasn't always like that

Traffic is horrendous. All the people moving here daily has created heavy traffic. It suxs

Old 11-21-2023, 12:14 PM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBlonde View Post
Breaks my heart to move but the crime and the migrant crisis is never ending.
Is it time to move out of state? As a lifelong New Yorker I’m thinking North Texas. Very low crime.
What are everyone’s thoughts on this matter ?

I don't have thoughts on the migrants in NYC. But fyi, I've heard that property taxes are off the chain high in Texas... so just be aware that any bettering of crime/migrant by moving to Texas, will still be accompanied by a hefty property tax bill -- and re-accessment the moment whoever in TX sells to you (or new home construction purchase). Heck, perhaps rivaling your property taxes in Long Island. One item of so many when considering a move, but just fyi.

Old 11-22-2023, 02:56 PM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Waiting for kids to be done with high school so we could pack up and leave. The hell with this fruit loop state and all of its social issues and high prices.
Give me land, woods, wild life and a car with a V8. I need no one else.

Old 12-01-2023, 05:03 AM

1,261 posts, read 559,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disorca View Post
I'm a native LIer looking to relocate due to the extreme home prices, even for a starter. LI is a nice place to live but Suffolk has always been a dump unless your on the North Shore in a rich area.
This is the driving force for young people, more than any philosophical drive. People simply can't afford the homes and taxes, or don't want to sacrifice quality of life by working 3 jobs to pay for a house they never get to use.

We would have loved to stick around, but it wasn't happening unless we worked non-stop or lived somewhere run down or unreasonably far away from our primary place of employment. Luckily, I work for a company with a wide territory in NY and CT. We went up to the Hudson Valley to buy our first home. Schools are rated just as well, if not better, than where we would have liked to land on LI. Garbage is still picked up, potholes seem to be filled even faster, and this is somehow accomplished without a politician having a photo op and sending me a glossy mailer about every stop sign that gets installed. We didn't leave BECUASE of these things, but it became apparent that life goes on. Also: it's hard to fully realize how bad traffic is until you remove yourself from it for awhile and then get to experience it again while visiting.

Old 12-12-2023, 12:32 PM

5 posts, read 1,519 times
If the migrant "crisis" is a concern, then I'd find this potential "solution," as Spock would say, "most illogical." Really climbing out of the frying pan into the fire. Unless you're hoping to work with asylum seekers and doing immigration advocacy, but I don't sense that as a motivation.

If your gender is female, I believe you'd really want to reconsider. Texas is rapidly receding into the dark ages regarding anything with women's rights. Along those lines, several of my female friends have recently said that anybody who moves to Texas because of lower property costs deserves what they get. My friends there are furious about the open carry gun laws too. I could make many more cynical jabs about the consequences of these topics, but just watch today's news about the criminalized fetal abortion case, not to mention the school shooting issues. You can buy all sorts of explosives and firearms without permits there.

Everyone I know who once lived in Austin claim they regret leaving, however. This coming from people in some pretty upscale areas - San Fran, Seattle, San Diego. I've been told they had some of their best friends while living there.

Dallas has some really nice (but very pricey) areas, especially around SMU, and I've found the folks I've met from there to be very friendly. Houston, however.... ugh. Galveston is said to be really nice too, when not suffering from floods. But you said "northern" and thats on the coast.

Texas is also a drinking culture. If you don't like booze, you might find it a bit hostile. If you do, you'll probably find lots of companionship. Cannabis is still illegal there, and a friend claimed the neighbors liked to turn people in if they smelled weed.

People in NM hate the Texan tourists, who're usually a bit too outspoken, garish, and want to buy nothing but jewelry and cowboy paintings. But some of the landscape along the NM/TX border is spectacularly beautiful. And remote. You'll need to be comfortable with driving long distances between towns, and we're not talking the distance between the north and south shores of LI. More like traversing ALL of New England.

If there's much progress in the climate change prevention movement, Texas is going to suffer. But if you meet the right oil heir, it might not matter much to you. The entire Standing Rock pipeline issues were the brainchild of an oil mogul in Dallas. If you don't give a hoot about the rights of Native Americans, you'll find plenty of company. If you have any social conscience, you may find yourself a bit isolated.

I'm not a fan of LI, having grown up here and just returning to help an aging parent. But I can't wait to escape from Texas once I get there, and it takes hours to drive across the state.

Texas does have one redeeming offering however: Grapefruit.
And do you have a cowboy hat?

Last edited by librlart; 12-12-2023 at 12:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island