Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 11:41 PM

855 posts, read 451,028 times

Advertisements

I moved out of NY in July.

Couldn't be happier. Wife is happy. Kids are happy. Was 65 degrees and sunny today. Has been mid 60-70's for the past few weeks here in NorCal.

Streets are clean. Infrastructure is far newer and modern. Businesses, restaurants, stores, full around every turn. Was hiking in the foothills last weekend. Going to Yosemite right after Thanksgiving. Soon, ski season and Tahoe is 1 hour and 15 mins from my doorstep.

No more dirty, overcrowded streets full of A-hole drivers. No more ugly infrastructure which doesn't match and is falling apart. No more tiny, pothole filled roadways. No more mosquitos, humidity and 5 months of heavy winter clothing.

People are actually nice here. Genuinely nice. With the weather everyone is active. Walking, hiking, biking, running. Beautiful trails all over. Healthy food everywhere. Very few fat people unlike LI.

We boiled our choices down to Dallas area, Raleigh or Sacramento area. Raleigh and Sac are very similar but chose the West Coast version. Superior weather and outdoor activities but can't go wrong with either.

Only thing you can go wrong with is wasting your years on that hemorrhoid called LI. I mean, what logical reason is there not to leave? Family? Whatever, I left for a much better life and can always visit them. Work? There's work everywhere and most other places the COL is far less and the infrastructure superior.

Old 11-16-2023, 11:45 PM

855 posts, read 451,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post

But to answer your initial question... being as we visit family twice yearly on LI, we see it now as a crowded Moderator cut: bypassing the profanity filter slum. There is so better out there with a better quality of life.
Raleigh is great.

Many on LI think the universe revolves around their tiny roads and bagels. They haven't got a clue what else is out there and how much nicer it is.

They drive around up everyone's butt, honking all day because they act like they're always late. Then go home and complain about leaf blowers. Miserable people.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-19-2023 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 11-17-2023, 02:49 AM

816 posts, read 444,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post

Couldn't be happier. Wife is happy. Kids are happy. Was 65 degrees and sunny today. Has been mid 60-70's for the past few weeks here in NorCal.

Streets are clean. Infrastructure is far newer and modern. Businesses, restaurants, stores, full around every turn. Was hiking in the foothills last weekend. Going to Yosemite right after Thanksgiving. Soon, ski season and Tahoe is 1 hour and 15 mins from my doorstep.

No more dirty, overcrowded streets full of A-hole drivers. No more ugly infrastructure which doesn't match and is falling apart. No more tiny, pothole filled roadways. No more mosquitos, humidity and 5 months of heavy winter clothing.

People are actually nice here. Genuinely nice. With the weather everyone is active. Walking, hiking, biking, running. Beautiful trails all over. Healthy food everywhere. Very few fat people unlike LI.

We boiled our choices down to Dallas area, Raleigh or Sacramento area. Raleigh and Sac are very similar but chose the West Coast version. Superior weather and outdoor activities but can't go wrong with either.

Only thing you can go wrong with is wasting your years on that hemorrhoid called LI. I mean, what logical reason is there not to leave? Family? Whatever, I left for a much better life and can always visit them. Work? There's work everywhere and most other places the COL is far less and the infrastructure superior.
That's exactly how I feel Pearl. It's just how much nicer people are once you leave the Island. When we lived there, it was like people were stranded out in the ocean, never venturing past the Hudson with just occasional trips to the City... no clue how much more nicer much of the rest of the country lives.

One thing that really caught me off guard once we moved was that here in Raleigh no one uses their horn unless it's absolutely necessary, like to avoid an accident. It's considered rude, unlike LI where it's a way of life... like flipping people off. Much much more patience, like when leaving someplace crowded, where everyone (and I mean everyone) takes turns with their cars. Absolutely refreshing.

I assume NorCal is the same way. So nice to live with much less stress and anger. I never knew we were allowed to be this happy with other people.

Old 11-17-2023, 03:36 AM

132 posts, read 102,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post

Very good information! I’m thinking north Dallas, Highland Village area. Very suburban feeling. No Crime. Not too far from all the shopping. Plus housing and property taxes are much affordable. Try checking it out for yourself

Old 11-17-2023, 05:47 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBlonde View Post
Breaks my heart to move but the crime and the migrant crisis is never ending.
Is it time to move out of state? As a lifelong New Yorker I’m thinking North Texas. Very low crime.
What are everyone’s thoughts on this matter ?
Yeah Texas doesn't have any migrants or crime!

Have you ever been to Texas? I was in Austin, Houston and San Antonio last summer and it was ridiculously hot and I had no delusions about ever living there.

2 min mark I think will be your experience as a NY'r going to Texas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MedC8kTa9XY

Old 11-17-2023, 09:27 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
We both have elderly parents who need us too so can't move right now. Tennessee is where we are looking.
Was in Chattanooga over the summer.

Old 11-17-2023, 10:12 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
TN is very nice, Lubby. I've had my eye on it for years, but now it's getting expensive and very developed. Chattanooga is still pretty cheap.

Old 11-17-2023, 10:24 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times

Lived in Santa Cruz and I loved it. Blocks from the Pacific (where you can actually walk up to the water w/o paying a fee) . Ten minutes from the
redwoods . Fabulous weather. The nicest laid back people .

My daughter had a baby so I moved back , but I miss it every day.
Now she and my grandson have moved to Charleston and I have already sold my house.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-17-2023, 12:35 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
According to the guy who owned the Oak Beach Inn, the time to move was years ago.
Not sure Matherson was a good example and that's coming from someone who sported a Save the OBI bumper sticker... he sold 20 years ago and passed away several years later with OBI down in Key West... suffice to say he had a tumultuous relationship with the cops and town leading to his exit.

LI continues to look like an old drooping stripper... the only redeeming quality is what it used to be... for some I guess that's still enough.

Old 11-17-2023, 01:12 PM

11,779 posts, read 5,789,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBlonde View Post
Breaks my heart to move but the crime and the migrant crisis is never ending.
Is it time to move out of state? As a lifelong New Yorker I’m thinking North Texas. Very low crime.
What are everyone’s thoughts on this matter ?
I'm from the Western New York area and moved down south 5 months ago. We got out just in time as crime has increased and the cops can do nothing about it. Two weeks after we left they moved the illegals in our area - nothing but problems with assaults, rapes, property damage and drug and prostitution rings. Two former neighbors contacted us and said they are leaving also.

Now Hochul signed the Clean Slate Bill. Since so many plead down - we've given some bad people a pass on their crimes - do you want an arsonist living in your building - his record will be sealed and the landlord won't know anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island